Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technonorb Guest

Trolling Motor advice

Putting a new trolling motor on my boat and hope to get some good advice. I bass fish and pan fish but lately troll mostly for striper so I need both foot control and remote. Something that while trolling will hold the coarse and possibly repeat the same coarse when on fish. Have always had Minkotas and had good luck so kind of partial to them but open minded. Thanks in advance Tech

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm on my second minn kota auto pilot since maybe 1995. Had good luck with them. I see a lot of them around. As you probably know they make one now that will hold your boat in one place. Not cheap. Mine is only foot control which I mostly use as a hand control. Might get the remote control add on this winter. I see a lot of them too. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's hard to find one that is good for both. The Minn Kota Peter spoke of is good for striper trolling when you have either the Auto Pilot or the I Pilot, but I do not feel its good for bass\pan fishing. The reaction of the motor to the foot petal is just way too slow. I can compensate by setting the course and speed I want and trying to go foot free. But you will always need to make a major move and that motor simply can't do it fast enough. I have the IPilot and the anchor feature Peter spoke of does a good job as long as the wind\current are from a constant direction.

If I had a choice I would have two motors that I could trade out for whatever I was doing. If I had to pick one, I would pick the Minn Kota with the I Pilot as it is more of a hassle trying to troll with a conventional foot controlled motor for stripers than it is to use the Minn Kota for bass\Pan fishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Technonorb View Post
    Putting a new trolling motor on my boat and hope to get some good advice. I bass fish and pan fish but lately troll mostly for striper so I need both foot control and remote. Something that while trolling will hold the coarse and possibly repeat the same coarse when on fish. Have always had Minkotas and had good luck so kind of partial to them but open minded. Thanks in advance Tech
    "but lately troll mostly for striper" I knew you would convert sooner or later!

Post Thanks / Like
    Minn Kota Terrova works well for both. i use it to bass fish and it is irreplacable for long lining for crappie.
    The rotation is a little faster on the Terrova than the V2.
    i will never go back to a cable drive.
    Kydog

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Terrova and it is a little faster than the older models. But it is still like being on hold when compared to a traditional foot control. For instance, I usually just lift the shaft out of the bracket and guide with my hand if I have to go into shore for a lure and such. There is no way of getting the head swung around fast enough using remote or foot methods.

Technonorb Guest

Trolling Motor advice

Thanks for the great feedback guys. sounds like the perfect motor I'm looking for hasn't been built yet. I guess as long as I can stay out of snags on the bank I'm golden. lol

And yes Snapper... I consider myself converted! Thanks again Tech

Post Thanks / Like

Technonorb Guest

Trolling Motor advice

Looks like a nice motor. Went to Bass Pro Shop yesterday and the guy spoke about this motor but didnt know anything about it. I have Lowrance electronics and evidently Minkota only interacts with Hummingbird and Motorguide interacts with Lowrance. Motorguide has a small selection as in 1, for this type of motor and the BP rep. I talked with wasn't a fan at all of Motorguide. Still stumped!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by "The Man" View Post
    I don't think this motor is the answer for what you are looking for. I would put a wait and see on this motor anyway. This isn't the first time they have tried the auto deploy and we have some members here that can tell you first hand that the previous version was a disaster.

I won't speak badly of the Motorguide version because I do not know anything first hand. Historically, Minn Kotas are much more quiet than Motorguides and that is extremely important when stripers are surface to 20.

Being able to interface with the depth finder would be cool, but I can only think of a few times it would come in handy. In those cases, the Minnkota ipilot already has a feature that would allow you to retrace a previous path so it would probably be easier to do it there than at the depth finder.

All in all, I think the Terrovo with the ipilot is still your best choice. I just wanted to make sure you had as much info as possible. I would also recommend adding the MKA-21 Quick Release Bracket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kydog View Post
    Minn Kota Terrova works well for both. i use it to bass fish and it is irreplacable for long lining for crappie.
    The rotation is a little faster on the Terrova than the V2.
    i will never go back to a cable drive.
    Kydog
    X2

Technonorb Guest
    Thanks Duayne and everyone for the help.... I pilot Terrova was how I was leaning but may wait til first of the year and see if anything else comes out. T