Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Striper fishing during the upcoming cold front

Hi guys,
    New to the site, but have been fishing LC for many years.
    Will be fishing Striper Thur - Sun during the cold front. Due to work schedule I will not be able to reschedule for a later date. Typically this time of year I would be running down lines / boards and looking for jumps. I have also had a lot of success banked up in the fall.

Any advice on what the weather may due to the fish this weekend?

Any advice is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which part of the lake are you going to be fishing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Staying in Jamestown, so probably start out fishing that general area and work my way west. I was down in mid September and got on some decent ones fishing the north shore between Rowena and the Dam. Just not sure what to expect with this polar deal coming in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the front just went across the lake and pressure is on the way back up. Seems like it should be good by the weekend. It will be a bit cold Saturday am but as of now the wind is not predicted to be terrible. You might ask around about fishing up in a creek maybe halfway or so. That is my amature fishing forecast for what it is worth. The folks on here may have some different ideas.
    Last edited by peter; 11-12-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was down a couple weeks back and they were just starting to move up in the creek mouths. We had our best luck down around Indian. Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fished Saturday and Sunday. Stripers were very active and eager to eat. I found two things going on Saturday. Found fish on the outside edge of flats in 90 ft. Fish were 60-70. Also found fish on points in 35-50 right off the bottom. Sunday I focused on the fish off the points but also got a few shorts on top. There were some shorts mixed in but they are all fighting hard. I was fishing 2/3rds back in a creek but I would think the actual area wouldn't be as big of a deal as being in the right spots within the area. I did also get a hit on a board at 20 ft Sunday, but all the other bait fish came on down rods.
    Likes peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Fished Saturday. Looked around Friday afternoon all the way up greasy. All I saw was tons of very small bait balls at 40-50'.

Saturday I ran over a very large school on a point up the creek, turned around, shut the motor off and dropped a down rod to 50' and caught one while baiting the second rod. Thought to myself "Man I only need one rod" but that thought was proven incorrect in the next hour. Got the fish in and then could not find the school again. Tried this find and drop strategy again for about an hour and saw some schools but could not stay on them.

Resigned to pulling boards to improve the odds of catching fast moving fish. I was seeing the most fish where the channel is 60' deep. Caught another one with the sinker at 50'. I'm telling you those fish were moving (or at least that is my take on it.. 20 miles an hour maybe?). The second one came at a right angle to the boat across the back of the boat on the first rod of six across the back on a board that was close to the boat. . The rod was bent across the the other five. It was a nice 30 inch fish. I don't know why it looks 4' long in the photo. I was holding the fish bright right against my body.

I hadn't been fishing for a month and felt like the luckiest person on the planet.

A very nice end to what might be leading into cabin fever but quite a bit of motivation
    to make some tweeks to the boat this winter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-4168669319.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	9564  
    Likes Tyme2fish liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Fished hard on Friday with no success. Pulled boards and down lines in Beaver and Greasy. Also banked up in several spots in both creeks. Marked a lot of bait in both creeks with most bait seen around 50 ft. Did see one jump in the the mouth of Greasy right at dusk, but found no fish by the time we arrived. Saturday we fished greasy,lily and ended the day in pumpkin where we found a school holding tight to the bank. Had a double and also picked up two more for a total of four. Largest was 30" the others 24 - 28". Three of the fish came on down lines set to 30-40ft in 50ft of water. The fourth was set to 38 ft and came in 90 ft. All the fish came after the sun was down and it had gotten dark.
    We fished with shiners as we were not able to catch any bait this trip. Maybe once the sun went down the shiners seemed like just another shad. Can anyone comment on their success rates using shad as opposed to store bought shiners?

Post Thanks / Like
    Shad work better for sure. You get more sleep with shiners. Sometimes I feel that if I can find fish and put a shad by them they will take the bait, doesn't always happen though. With the shiners it seems like takes longer to catch fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    I fished up in Greasy on Friday too. Didn't catch a fish until after dark. Got one 28-30 inch and a 19 inch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Fished Saturday. Looked around Friday afternoon all the way up greasy. All I saw was tons of very small bait balls at 40-50'.

Saturday I ran over a very large school on a point up the creek, turned around, shut the motor off and dropped a down rod to 50' and caught one while baiting the second rod. Thought to myself "Man I only need one rod" but that thought was proven incorrect in the next hour. Got the fish in and then could not find the school again. Tried this find and drop strategy again for about an hour and saw some schools but could not stay on them.

Resigned to pulling boards to improve the odds of catching fast moving fish. I was seeing the most fish where the channel is 60' deep. Caught another one with the sinker at 50'. I'm telling you those fish were moving (or at least that is my take on it.. 20 miles an hour maybe?). The second one came at a right angle to the boat across the back of the boat on the first rod of six across the back on a board that was close to the boat. . The rod was bent across the the other five. It was a nice 30 inch fish. I don't know why it looks 4' long in the photo. I was holding the fish bright right against my body.

I hadn't been fishing for a month and felt like the luckiest person on the planet.

A very nice end to what might be leading into cabin fever but quite a bit of motivation
    to make some tweeks to the boat this winter.
    Peter: Were you talking with fishermen in another boat while you were landing your second fish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kyriver View Post
    Peter: Were you talking with fishermen in another boat while you were landing your second fish?
    Yes. Was that you?
    Two guys in like a 19' alum V hull. Maybe a Monarch.

You know probably went right by a couple other folks that posted here about last weekend.