Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jacobson water level and stockings

According to the KDFW Jacobson has been stocked with 5,000 trout. The water level is extremely low, dare I say lower than what it was this summer. Why would they stock the lake with the level so low? Is it going to be detrimental to the fish? the water is brown and murky, not sure if I want to keep anything out of there

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post
    According to the KDFW Jacobson has been stocked with 5,000 trout. The water level is extremely low, dare I say lower than what it was this summer. Why would they stock the lake with the level so low? Is it going to be detrimental to the fish? the water is brown and murky, not sure if I want to keep anything out of there
    Trout don't really thrive very well in Jacobson no matter what the water levels or temps. Jacobson is too shallow, warm, and muddy to sustain a healthy trout population. My guess is that the trout release is a temporary solution for those who don't get to enjoy trout fishing on a regular basis due to lack of access to good trout streams in the immediate area. The trout will start to die off after a couple of weeks. The cold weather will buy them a few more days of life, but catch them now!!! They wont be around very long.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are going to keep dropping it to try and clear out some of the grass and weeds across the street at Ellerslie. You are right, that they do not thrive in Jacobson Park and it is stricktly for the FINS program.. When were they stocking them? or have they already done it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabbo View Post
    They are going to keep dropping it to try and clear out some of the grass and weeds across the street at Ellerslie. You are right, that they do not thrive in Jacobson Park and it is stricktly for the FINS program.. When were they stocking them? or have they already done it?
    it was stocked nov 3rd according to KDFW. It makes no sense to me to stock it then basically drain it

Post Thanks / Like
    it was stocked nov 3rd according to KDFW. It makes no sense to me to stock it then basically drain it
    I think the KDFWR and the KAWC don't communicate very well in that respect.. Be that as it may... The trout wouldn't last that long either way. Catch em while ya can!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I burned them up on tiny pieces of liver this spring. They are hardly big enough for a fillet better cooking them whole. I may try and go tomorrow before work and catch my limit. If they are biting it is every cast with liver.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sglass View Post
    I burned them up on tiny pieces of liver this spring. They are hardly big enough for a fillet better cooking them whole. I may try and go tomorrow before work and catch my limit. If they are biting it is every cast with liver.

Shawn
    dang. I've hit it 3 times, and also hit lake minga 3 times with zero luck. fishing with crappie powerbait, salmon eggs, and in-line spinners. looks like I need to pick up some livers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep .. liver works. I've tried several times before, to catch some of those stocked cats on livers ... only to end up catching trout or having the Bluegill peck it all off before anything else could find it !! LOL !! Same thing on the Crappie Nibbles.

I'm pretty sure the survival rate of the trout is better than we might imagine ... considering that the trout have been caught in Ellerslie, so they must be able to get past the barrier in the culvert running under Richmond Rd, that connects the two bodies of water. Now, whether or not they survive the Bass & cats that roam Lake Ellerslie ... ???? LOL !!

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    We have one of those fins lakes where I live. I always caught them off the bottom by threading corn on the hook. I would catch my limit in 30 minutes and leave. If they weren't hitting the corn they would hit roostertails or small spoons.

Post Thanks / Like
    dang. I've hit it 3 times, and also hit lake minga 3 times with zero luck. fishing with crappie powerbait, salmon eggs, and in-line spinners. looks like I need to pick up some livers!
    Use as small as a hook as you can get away with and a piece of liver the size of your fingernail. once they find it you will get bit every cast and you will have to hold your rod. I had great luck between the golf pond and the lake right past the trees in the water.

Shawn