Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it ok to bleed a fish in muddy water?

Sometimes I go to this secluded lake and want to take some table size Catfish home. However, the lake is particularly muddy and dirty, the water is actually brown. Is there a problem with bleeding fish in it? Also, If I don't have or bring a cooler to store them in, what should I use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Page 11 of the fishing guide:

I always thought it was illegal...........but, it looks like only illegal to clean fish on the water that have a size or creel limit......

http://www.kentuckylake.com/pdfs/fis...hguideregs.pdf

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

From what I see in the post

As long as you don't cut the head or tail off changing the size of the fish your ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    well I know that its legal but will the meat get infected if I put it in dirty water?
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have put catfish in the bed of my truck, driven home afte a night of fishing and cleaned them in the driveway and all of them still moving like they were just caught. I had 1 catfish that was still alive after 4 hours in my truck and his mouth was still moving after I reteived my filets.. These are hardy fish and I would say, put them on a stringer and filet them at home. As far as dragging filets around in dirty water.....Why would you do that?... Cut out the filet and put them in a ziplock bag before you head home..
    On a side note.. I have been camping and caught fish/ cleaned them in the same water I caught them from and fried them right there on the bank.. As far as washing or soaking them in muddy water, I think thats a bad idea. Rinse them and fry them is okay
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not think that muddy water would be any worse than clear water can be. If you cook the meat thoroughly it should kill any germs/microbes that may be there. I'd be more worried about PCB's and mercury.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabbo View Post
    I have put catfish in the bed of my truck, driven home afte a night of fishing and cleaned them in the driveway and all of them still moving like they were just caught. I had 1 catfish that was still alive after 4 hours in my truck and his mouth was still moving after I reteived my filets.. These are hardy fish and I would say, put them on a stringer and filet them at home. As far as dragging filets around in dirty water.....Why would you do that?... Cut out the filet and put them in a ziplock bag before you head home..
    On a side note.. I have been camping and caught fish/ cleaned them in the same water I caught them from and fried them right there on the bank.. As far as washing or soaking them in muddy water, I think thats a bad idea. Rinse them and fry them is okay
    I may be wrong, but I don't think he meant he was going to wash or soak filets in the water. He meant he was going to cut the gills and let them bleed out in the water, while keeping the fish intact. That's the way I read it anyway. And to answer the question, NO it would not hurt them a bit to do that. Those fish just came out of that same water, it won't bother them a bit to bleed the fish out in the same water.
    Likes GeoFisher, KYfishman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    I may be wrong, but I don't think he meant he was going to wash or soak filets in the water. He meant he was going to cut the gills and let them bleed out in the water, while keeping the fish intact. That's the way I read it anyway. And to answer the question, NO it would not hurt them a bit to do that. Those fish just came out of that same water, it won't bother them a bit to bleed the fish out in the same water.

I read the same thing from his post, with the tip-off being his asking about how to store them with no cooler available.

Personally, I wouldn't bleed them out unless I had a container of some sort to store them in, even if it was nothing more than a 5gal bucket. And I probably wouldn't even do it, then ... unless I had ice available. Putting them on a stringer or in a bucket or sack and transporting them home (alive) would probably be a better idea IMHO.

Unless you were intending on cleaning & cooking those catfish right away, bleeding them out shouldn't be necessary. Once bled out, the fish would die ... and the meat would start to deteriorate.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    I read the same thing from his post, with the tip-off being his asking about how to store them with no cooler available.

Personally, I wouldn't bleed them out unless I had a container of some sort to store them in, even if it was nothing more than a 5gal bucket. And I probably wouldn't even do it, then ... unless I had ice available. Putting them on a stringer or in a bucket or sack and transporting them home (alive) would probably be a better idea IMHO.

Unless you were intending on cleaning & cooking those catfish right away, bleeding them out shouldn't be necessary. Once bled out, the fish would die ... and the meat would start to deteriorate.

... pappy
    I was under the impression that the best tasting fish are the quickest killed with the least amount of stress/suffering. leaving the fish to suffocate to death releases toxins into the muscles, tainting the flavor.

reel in fast as possible, spike to the brain, slice open to bleed out, place in ice water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any time you let fish soak in water you bleach out the flavor
    and cause the meat to get mushy.
    And any salt makes it even worse.
    Place the filets on ice but don't soak them.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBAzhUiJ4ys#t=26

Quote Originally Posted by jcclark View Post
    Any time you let fish soak in water you bleach out the flavor
    and cause the meat to get mushy.
    And any salt makes it even worse.
    Place the filets on ice but don't soak them.
    if u are referring to my post above, you place the WHOLE fish in ice water, not after fileting it.

search youtube for: "iki jime how to care for your catch"

for somereason this forum won't let me paste anything and I need to type ssslllllllllllooooooooowwwwww.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Once you bleed a striper by cutting it's gills you will never NOT bleed one agian. Zero blood on cleaning table and the filets come off.the fish as white as of you soaked them for a night. It's a little more work than just throwing them in the cooler but well worth it in the end.

But i agree that the water clarity would not matter.