Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

winter yak fishing

Winter is unfortunately upon us, as for me my main form of getting on the water is by kayak, ive been kayak fishing all year but now that cold weather is here its a different ball game. What are some tactics you all use if any at all for yak fishing in the winter? or do you even venture out at all?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been kicking around trying mine out during the cold weather. I found these waterproof pants online but not sure if I would go enough during the winter to justify spending that much.

http://www.campmor.com/Product___76902?cm_vc=PDPZ2

Post Thanks / Like
    two biggest pieces of advice I can offer are 1) to let someone know where you are going, and when you expect to be back and 2) wear your PFD the whole time you are on the water!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I went ahead and bought some waterproof gear from Cabelas. They are running a sale and I went with their Gore-Tex Guide Wear, both pants and jacket. I still have to order a pair of waterproof socks and then I should be set to give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    I went ahead and bought some waterproof gear from Cabelas. They are running a sale and I went with their Gore-Tex Guide Wear, both pants and jacket. I still have to order a pair of waterproof socks and then I should be set to give it a try.
    Whats the price on that with the sale going on if you dont mind me asking?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have been looking and noticed online that it was on sale but when I went to the store they had a sale display where it is currently marked even lower. The pants were $79 and the jackets was $99.

I found a pair of socks that have a great review that I am going to order, I will look for that and post what they are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, i think ill just go with a pair of waders and see how that works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the socks I think I will plan on ordering. They are a little expensive IMO, but wet cold feet doesn't sound fun and would probably ruin the entire outing.

Here s the review:

Rocky Gore-Tex

Pro: High quality thermal protection
    Con: Can be too warm for some activities

Winter Wear: These costly buggers are your first line of defense during the cold months. They have been worn to the highest and coldest parts of the world and been strapped on by those looking to plumb the lowest – and also coldest – depths of the sea. Waterproofing is their first priority, followed immediately by keeping your feet warm. The Gore-Tex inner shell does both admirably while the Lycra outer layer helps keep a perfect fit so that water can’t sneak in. All of the seams are Gore-Seam lined so that there is no gap for water to find its way in. They are generally light enough that you can wear them boating, though you may find your feet getting a little too toasty by the end of the trip. When coupled with a good thermal sock, expect these to really shine for sub-zero nights in the Yukon

http://hiconsumption.com/2014/09/best-waterproof-socks/

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah waders should work fine. I am not the most nimble to begin with and I just find them a little harder to move around in as easily so I figured if I went with them between getting in and out of the kayak, moving around while fishing and paddling it might end in disaster.

Plus I kind of needed a good set of rain gear for fishing out of my regular boat anyway so this purchase fits the bill for both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have been reading more about the dangers of kayaking in the low water temperatures during this time of year without wearing something like a dry suit. As unlikely as it is that I would fall in, it still isn't worth risk so I'll probably let it warm up little more before I go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Well I have been reading more about the dangers of kayaking in the low water temperatures during this time of year without wearing something like a dry suit. As unlikely as it is that I would fall in, it still isn't worth risk so I'll probably let it warm up little more before I go.
    I agree, it can be very dangerous, warm weather is close around the corner anyways... At least thats what i keep telling myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I have the bug to get out there. I could get my other boat out but I kind of have it all tucked away nice for the winter and not sure I want to change that quite yet either. The kayak would be so simple but just not smart at this point. Maybe one day I will feel like investing in a genuine dry suit but at this point that is way too much money for me to justify.