Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I trust the biologist

To protect an promote the best plans to grow the SM at Dale. Tenn. has it going. What we were told in regards to the fish kill, I'm suspect of that.

Now 2 years later I'm confident the recover is on tract. I log a lot of time on the water, my one over recently isn't near as impressive to me as the fish bouncing around the 4lb range I'm seeing.

I boated 3 fish mid day today each one had me on edge to boat. Feeling like a 6 lb er was there. Needless to say they all under 4 but still trophy's to me.

You are a good bunch on this site. I enjoy the back an forth. Great topic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	9707   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	229 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	9706  
    Likes mhall, GeoFisher, bayouboogie50 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to post pictures from my phone, hope it works. These are some smallies from sunday. We had atleast 3 that we measured and maybe as many as 5 over 20", but no overs. All very, very healthy fish. Had one spit out a rather large bluegill on its way to the boat with the bluegill still swimming

Views:	242 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	9709   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	231 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	9708  

Post Thanks / Like
    And a couple more. Also had 6 good keeper sized largemouth. Few on live bait, but most on jig

Views:	229 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	9711   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	231 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	9710  

Post Thanks / Like
    Purty fish fellas
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Trying to post pictures from my phone, hope it works. These are some smallies from sunday. We had atleast 3 that we measured and maybe as many as 5 over 20", but no overs. All very, very healthy fish. Had one spit out a rather large bluegill on its way to the boat with the bluegill still swimming
    That is the second time I've heard of a smallie spitting out a GIANT bluegill this december.

Cool.

Nice Fish.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking we need to start slow rolling a bluegill pattern crank and see what happens.

Good thing the smallmouth will only eat small baits and fnf in cold water....
    Likes GeoFisher, bayouboogie50 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Best report

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I talk an listen to a lot of reports, yours tops any I've heard for this cold weather, the day was so perfect for my style, the glass like conditions along with the low light, two days in a row nearly 3, was the best

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rickhise View Post
    I talk an listen to a lot of reports, yours tops any I've heard for this cold weather, the day was so perfect for my style, the glass like conditions along with the low light, two days in a row nearly 3, was the best
    We had 19 fish total. 12 smallies and 7 largemouth. Only one short largemouth and one smallie under 17". We didnt catch fish bunched up anywhere, but caught 1-4 fish pretty much everywhere we stopped. It was an above average day for us. We did have an over the weekend before but only had 8 fish and had no live bait

Post Thanks / Like
    We fished Dale this past weekend and all I can say is WOW! Yes 21" fish are rare as of now but the 18 to 20 inch fish are plenty,alive and rowdy. There is nothing like seeing a 20 inch brownie getting Air in the middle of December! Our biggest 5 daily went right at 20 pounds and we didnt even come close to winning the tourney due to the slot but Ive never enjoyed loosing a tournament so much! The brownies are to say the least "very aggressive" and there is absolutely no need for finesse......I believe the over 21" fish will be as common as ever in the next year or two.......And you may want to bring along a Pedigo Spinrite "HINT HINT" if your heading down any time soon. Good luck , Jarrod
    Likes bayouboogie50, thebassman30 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Purty fish fellas
    Boy I agree on the purty I love those ole brown fish with the bars and 18 to 20 inches purty purty
    Likes mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello guys...long time since my last post...hope you are well.

In talking with some of the best anglers on Dale over the last few weeks it is taking catching about 200 fish to get an over. That seems about right, although in reading through these posts I see some folks are catching them more frequently. Sounds like they got something special worked out.

We've been avg about 15-20 day with a majority of them being in the 19-20 range. Some of these are already pushing 5 lbs so I don't know if they'll ever make it to 21". Perhaps some of these upper end slots will grow some length, but I'm sure it will take a few years.

The overs I have seen are largely old river fish that are just long and skinny...some barely over 4 lbs.

The largemouth are substantially abundant and schooling up with the smallies and spots. It's a good time when you get on them.

One thing that I found interesting this year in the tournaments was that the people who caught the numbers didn't catch anything over. To me, this might mean that the big ones are loners not really schooled fish.

Ya'll take care,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebassman30 View Post
    Hello guys...long time since my last post...hope you are well.

In talking with some of the best anglers on Dale over the last few weeks it is taking catching about 200 fish to get an over. That seems about right, although in reading through these posts I see some folks are catching them more frequently. Sounds like they got something special worked out.

We've been avg about 15-20 day with a majority of them being in the 19-20 range. Some of these are already pushing 5 lbs so I don't know if they'll ever make it to 21". Perhaps some of these upper end slots will grow some length, but I'm sure it will take a few years.

The overs I have seen are largely old river fish that are just long and skinny...some barely over 4 lbs.

The largemouth are substantially abundant and schooling up with the smallies and spots. It's a good time when you get on them.

One thing that I found interesting this year in the tournaments was that the people who caught the numbers didn't catch anything over. To me, this might mean that the big ones are loners not really schooled fish.

Ya'll take care,
    Mark
    Back 3-4 years ago when catching an over or two every trip was the norm, we noticed the same thing that a lot of our overs were long and skinny. 4 out of every 5 would be that way, and the 20" healthy fish would outweigh them nearly every time. Makes me wonder that if given the water quality, food supply, and growth rate, if the dale fish dont top out at 20" and not reach 21" until their lifespan is ending and they start losing weight. I still think you stand a better chance of catching a giant (8+) out of cumberland, but youll never catch the numbers or overall size there
    Likes mhall liked this post