Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dale Hollow Fish Kill

Going on about 2 1/2 years since the fish kill at Dale Hollow and for my part I think it has/was been a major for the smallmouth fishing. But after 2 1/2 years does anyone think that it has been long enough for some of the big fish to start showing back up?

Post Thanks / Like
    2 overs were caught at the Billy.

I have not heard of or seen an over in a long time. NOT that they are not there, but I have not seen many.

I believe Rick caught one earlier this week though .

Rick.......I know you fish dale a whole bunch more than I do...what is your thought?

Fish Finder General......what about you .

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    The smallmouth fishing in general seems to be coming back. I agree the kill had a major impact on the fishing, but mother nature always has a way of righting the ship. We had an over saturday, and i had a friend that had 4 overs on one trip a couple weeks ago. Id say within the next year or two well see the lake back to where it was where we rarely took a trip without catching an over.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't fish Dale very often but have buddies that do and it is coming back. The over's aren't as common as years ago and the fish kill was way more harsh than many wanted to believe and let on about. I think in two more years the lake will be booming again with over's becoming common again. Seems alot of 20 to slightly over 20 inch fish are being caught.....good sign of things to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    another related question... at this point with healthy slot fish thriving in the lake, is the slot limit still needed at Dale? Should it be changed a little or done away with it? Had some conversations recently with guys who believe the slot limit is stunting the growth of the fish now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbass View Post
    another related question... at this point with healthy slot fish thriving in the lake, is the slot limit still needed at Dale? Should it be changed a little or done away with it? Had some conversations recently with guys who believe the slot limit is stunting the growth of the fish now.
    Excellent question for the TWRA. Sure they have/do creel and shocking studies on DH. Would be interesting to hear from their Biologist on this subject. Just thinking, data may be available on their website?

Post Thanks / Like
    How could the slot be stunting the growth?

If they had such a large kill, that definitely limited the competition on food. AND TRUST ME.....that lake doesn't have a problem with food.

Shad and Alewife everywhere.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the unusual slot limit was put in place to make the lake a trophy smallmouth fishery. If you keep all the 19-20" brownies from being hauled around in a livewell all day, the better chance they have to grow into trophies. Those big ones are the ones we want reproducing, and we want them to reproduce with the bigger males. See what theyre doing in TX with the share a lunker program using the male offspring of monster females to reproduce with other monster females to try to create a broodstock of giants and putting them back in the waters they came from.

Note: Tournaments and hauling fish in the livewell isnt a huge problem right now, remove the slot on smallies and watch tournies start flocking to Dale like they do to our other lakes
    Likes GeoFisher, mhall, Embrey liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I think the unusual slot limit was put in place to make the lake a trophy smallmouth fishery. If you keep all the 19-20" brownies from being hauled around in a livewell all day, the better chance they have to grow into trophies. Those big ones are the ones we want reproducing, and we want them to reproduce with the bigger males. See what theyre doing in TX with the share a lunker program using the male offspring of monster females to reproduce with other monster females to try to create a broodstock of giants and putting them back in the waters they came from.

Note: Tournaments and hauling fish in the livewell isnt a huge problem right now, remove the slot on smallies and watch tournies start flocking to Dale like they do to our other lakes
    Remove the Slot and there would be tourneys there all through the normal season, and a **** ton of winter tourneys there too.

You can regularly catch a 20lb sack of smallies on that lake using a standard 15 inch size limit.......

Yea, LEAVE the slot..........
    Likes mhall, bayouboogie50, Owskiwoski liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    They have been trying to kill the slot since it was done on that lake. I have seen guys so mad over it they want to fight somebody. I have nothing against tournaments but when it takes the front seat over the best interest of a given fishery I call BS. I also think it happens a lot to due to the almighty dollar.

The northen states drill us on how to manage fisheries. No I don't believe in fishing seasons, well not a 100% but I do buy into a lot of other things they do. That is why you can go catch 50 to 100 good smallmouth in day in some of those lakes.

I will quit before I get somebody all tore up and butt hurt because I know thats coming with this conversation, lol

Here is one maybe you guys can answer for me. I have been a advocate of the same slot Dale has for Cumberland for years. I have had so many guys I have lost count tell me it won't work on Cumberland. In fact several on here have done it and I don't claim to be overly smart so I ask you fellas...............WHY wouldn't it work on Cumberland, what possible logical reason...tell me?????

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a smallmouth guy and want what's best for the smallmouth and dale. I don't dislike the slot limit, it doesn't effect me as I would never keep a smallmouth anyway and I don't fish many tournaments. this discussion just came up during a recent trip to dale. The 3 pounders seem to be dominating the lake while overs are few and far between. We haven't started a petition or anything like that, just an interesting question a few of us guys who love dale were having I thought I would toss out here.

I booked trips with Keith Palmerio the last two years and he says dale fishes in cycles. He predicted last winter that the up cycle was starting and expected fishing to get better.

I would also be in favor of a similar slot on Cumberland as it can be a great smallmouth fishery from time to time.
    Likes roadrunner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a smallmouth guy and want what's best for the smallmouth and dale. I don't dislike the slot limit, it doesn't effect me as I would never keep a smallmouth anyway and I don't fish many tournaments. this discussion just came up during a recent trip to dale. The 3 pounders seem to be dominating the lake while overs are few and far between. We haven't started a petition or anything like that, just an interesting question a few of us guys who love dale were having I thought I would toss out here.

I booked trips with Keith Palmerio the last two years and he says dale fishes in cycles. He predicted last winter that the up cycle was starting and expected fishing to get better.

I would also be in favor of a similar slot on Cumberland as it can be a great smallmouth fishery from time to time.
    Good thoughts Pastor we knew you weren't slamming the slot it was just conversation. Have a good day sir.