Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Which end of Cumberland is best for smallie?

Hey folks,
    I'm planning a trip to cumberland this Friday and I'm torn on which end to head to. My target species is smallmouth, but I'm happy just to get any of them on the line. I've only fished there 4 times, put in twice at Conley bottom, once at the dam and once in lily creek. So far I'm striking out on the smallmouth and after asking the fishing friends I have I'm torn on which end seems to hold a better population of brown backs or if they're pretty evenly distributed. I've heard some folks say that Indian and beaver are dynamite for smallies and while others say they never have any luck on that end and the area from Conley to white oak is really the place to be. It's an 80 mile one way shot either way so that has no bearing on decision. I'm all catch and release and just want to feel a few tugs on my line. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Wherever I end up I'll post a full report when I get home. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    My GUESS would be from Jamestown to the dam. There are numerous creeks in this area such as Pumpkin Creek, Beaver Creek, Otter Creek, etc. Cumberland is a hard lake to fish in my opinion and I have had limited luck there but I have had better luck around Jamestown versus fishing from Burnside for smallmouth. From what I have seen on this forum recently, it might be better to drive past Cumberland and put in at Dale Hollow, lol. Be sure to post how you do and good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ending up at Dale hollow isn't out of the question. My buddy and I had discussed it as a possibility. Wherever we end up I'll be sure to post results and conditions.

Post Thanks / Like
    if you want to catch largemouth and ky's ,try fishing the back of indian creek . caught 26 monday on a small jig and a jerk bait . thats if you decide on cland . and you can always catch smallies on shiners this time of year . i freeline them and they do all the work. good luck.