Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yamaha Sho Propellers

I have a yamaha 250 sho on a 21' Skeeter ZX. The motor has a 25 pitch prop on it and I'm thinking about putting a 27 pitch prop on it. Anyone out there have any information for. I know it will have more top in and less hole shot but don't know about performance and higher RPM's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter Hornet View Post
    I have a yamaha 250 sho on a 21' Skeeter ZX. The motor has a 25 pitch prop on it and I'm thinking about putting a 27 pitch prop on it. Anyone out there have any information for. I know it will have more top in and less hole shot but don't know about performance and higher RPM's.
    your 250 should turn the 27 pitch ok if it turns the 25 easy. the reason I say this is, I bought a new leftover 2006 model 90 hp mercury, it had a 19 pitch on it, and it sounded like it was trying to spin out when I would open the throttle. as soon as I hit plane, I had to back off the throttle because it was turning to higher RPM. a guy I know had a 23 pitch and he let me try it, it was to slow to plane, but would run faster than I wanted to go on top end. just didn't have the power to spin the prop on take off. I tried a 21 pitch and it worked perfect for me. so going up only 2 pitch numbers should work for you. if you can try and find someone with the 27 pitch, that will let you try it before you go and buy one. hope this helps.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

propellers

theres a certain rpm range your outboard engine should be turning at wide open thottle. too slow a rpm , and you re lugging your engine. too many rpms and you re over revving. if the 25 pitch isnt reaching maximum rpms, then going to a 27 isnt a bad idea. theres a lot more information about propeller selection on bass boat central. a lot of people like a four blade propeller for larger boats for the better handling . good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Need more info...What kind of 25 pitch prop? Is it a 3 blade V max SHO prop. Yamaha also makes a FXP that some people run on the SHO motor. Yamaha has multiple style/type props that can be run on their motors. Plus you have other manufactures that makes props that can be ran on a SHO...what Exactly do you have.

What is your wide open throttle RPM with the 25 pitch prop

What is your current prop to pad height

What are you trying to accomplish...better hole shot, better top end speed, better rough water handling, better load carrying capabilities, something else or just better "overall" performance. There is a lot of choices when buying a new prop. What you currently have and what you are trying to accomplish will play a big role in what prop you need to try.

It may be feasible to send your current prop to someone who works/modifies props. They might be able to get what you are looking for out of your current prop. I know a good balance and blueprint will typically yield 1-4 mph pending boat/motor/load combination. If you are interested in that I can recommend a person who does excellent work.