Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Humminbird FINALLY a competitive pricepoint

checkout these Helix models.

I'm looking at the top of the line of the Helix lineup. Anyone using these yet?

http://www.humminbird.com/Freshwater...finder-Family/

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    checkout these Helix models.

I'm looking at the top of the line of the Helix lineup. Anyone using these yet?

http://www.humminbird.com/Freshwater...finder-Family/

Later,

Geo
    I never saw a price point

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Helix

Yes. I picked up the Helix 5 Sonar/DI to go up front. Looks small when you pull out of the box, but don't let the size bother you. At $249, Basspro, plus six months no interest, it was a no brainer. Nothing like going to color vs. the older Humminbird models, which I had up front. No problem, whatsoever, with viewing the screen while standing.

I am running a 598 HD/SI combo with GPS at the driver console, so the Helix Sonar/DI is what I wanted on the TM.

Very impressed with it and I've had it out 3 or 4 times on Cedar Creek.

I'm a school teacher and semi-amateur bass fisherman on the side.

The Helix fit my price point perfectly. Very pleased.

Also, I kept transom transducer instead of swapping to trolling motor transducer. My old Humminbird trolling motor bracket fit the transom transducer perfectly.
    Likes 410th liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DYNATRAK View Post
    Yes. I picked up the Helix 5 Sonar/DI to go up front. Looks small when you pull out of the box, but don't let the size bother you. At $249, Basspro, plus six months no interest, it was a no brainer. Nothing like going to color vs. the older Humminbird models, which I had up front. No problem, whatsoever, with viewing the screen while standing.

I am running a 598 HD/SI combo with GPS at the driver console, so the Helix Sonar/DI is what I wanted on the TM.

Very impressed with it and I've had it out 3 or 4 times on Cedar Creek.

I'm a school teacher and semi-amateur bass fisherman on the side.

The Helix fit my price point perfectly. Very pleased.

Also, I kept transom transducer instead of swapping to trolling motor transducer. My old Humminbird trolling motor bracket fit the transom transducer perfectly.
    What are the screen measurement's? 5X5?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    I never saw a price point
    Sorry I didn't post the prices.

299 for entry, 399 for hd, 499 for hd di, 599 for hd di si.......
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Helix price

Sorry I didn't post the prices.

299 for entry, 399 for hd, 499 for hd di, 599 for hd di si.......
    Better shop around, much better prices than these.

BBG Marine and Universal Mania.
    Helix DI/GPS $324 & $347
    Helix SI/GPS $456 & $492

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 410th View Post
    What are the screen measurement's? 5X5?
    actual screen size is 4.25" long x 2.5" wide.

as a comparison, my 598's actual screen size is 3.5" long x 3.5" wide.

as I said, upon pulling it from package, my first reaction was that it seemed small. However, once installed on bow and first time I lit it up, everything is extremely clear and bright. major upgrade from my old fishfinder.

Also, I'm only running sonar and di, so no problem viewing it when standing. I'm 6'3".

tight lines.
    Likes GeoFisher, 410th liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwill35 View Post
    Better shop around, much better prices than these.

BBG Marine and Universal Mania.
    Helix DI/GPS $324 & $347
    Helix SI/GPS $456 & $492
    Yea, those were retail prices......not discount. The point was that they have produced a product that can compete with Lowrance in the lower end of the spectrum.

If you wanted SI in a bird last year, you were spending 1000 bucks to enter that market.

Later,

Geo
    Likes 410th liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Screen Size does make a huge difference in the field

Yea, those were retail prices......not discount. The point was that they have produced a product that can compete with Lowrance in the lower end of the spectrum.

If you wanted SI in a bird last year, you were spending 1000 bucks to enter that market.

Later,

Geo
    Those screen sized are pretty small. I have the Humminbird 898 unit and I wish I had a bigger screen and the newer back lit type screens to see better in day light. I can see much more detail in my recordings when I play them back on my computer screen in a dark room. I can see things on the computer screen that I failed to see in the field under sunlight conditions on my small humminbird LCR type screen.

If you are using SI and want to see small details clearly in the field while fishing in the day time you really need a bigger screen for the SI to work.

The winner of the 2014 CrappieUSA classic used a Side Scanning Sonar to located his big crappie. He saw a fallen tree that was hanging along the cliff from 20 ft of water to around 40 ft depth in 100 ft of water depth along the side of a steep cliff. They saw the crappie hanging around the top of the tree. It was very clear water so they backed off from the cliff/tree and casts jigs towards the cliff and let them sink down 20 ft deep in order to catch the larger crappie that were hanging around the top of the tree.

This is where SI comes in handy and to see those fish you need a bigger screen. The guys that won first place in the semi pro division were professional crappie guides on KY lake. But the new technology helped them win a brand new Ranger Bass Boat with all the fixins.

Save your money and buy the biggest screen you can find and you won't regret it even if you are an amateur and only get to fish on weekends. That is if you are into fishing. If you only get to fish once or twice a year then you might just want to save your money and fish from the bank.

I wish that they (Humminbird) and Lowrence would lower their prices but that's just wishful thinking.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't decide between the Lowrance Elite 7 or the Bird 859. I have heard the Lowrance is a better picture but the bird is easier to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zx150 View Post
    I can't decide between the Lowrance Elite 7 or the Bird 859. I have heard the Lowrance is a better picture but the bird is easier to use.

Ive spent time looking at both while fishing. The Birds have a MUCH clearer SI picture while the Lowrance have a clearer DI picture. The Birds are much more user friendly as its quicker to navigate from screen to screen. In my opinion a 5" unit isnt much good at all with SI, youll miss as much as youll see. I find myself looking at my sonar more than i do DI, but there have been times where i wasnt completely sure what i was looking at on sonar and switched to DI and could see it plain as day. If you go over to BBC and look at the Humminbird and Lowrance sections youll be able to see what the experts have been able to see on their dialed in units and its pretty amazing