Search Fishin.com

Thread: fish hooks

Post Thanks / Like

fish hooks

So my terminal tackle has contracted some rust this year. I have filed the rust off but noticed a dark silverish coating came off I assume is to aid in rust prevention. Does anyone know or have experience in a product that they can be dipped in to recoat the hooks? I refuse to throw them away and start over. Any help is much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter82 View Post
    So my terminal tackle has contracted some rust this year. I have filed the rust off but noticed a dark silverish coating came off I assume is to aid in rust prevention. Does anyone know or have experience in a product that they can be dipped in to recoat the hooks? I refuse to throw them away and start over. Any help is much appreciated.
    If it's a crankbait I would not bother sharpening or recoating the hooks if it's a factory hook. All but the top of the line makers use lower quality hooks to keep their prices down and/or to increase their profit margins. I replace practically all my factory crankbait hooks with Gamakatsu extra wide gap short shank hooks before the bait ever gets wet. Gama's don't or rarely rust and they will stay sharp through almost anything. At most they would require only a mild touch up if you overthrow into the rocks, plow the bottom or set the hook on everything that "might" be a fish like I do. I also like to put a larger size hook in the rear than what came on it from the factory. That may mess with the baits action and dive depth a little but with the higher hook up rates that you will get with the larger hook I think you come out ahead in the long run. sw
    Likes Tyme2fish, TroyRalph502 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply. I was more referring to terminal tackle like worm hooks and such. When crankbait hooks start to rust I just replace them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter82 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I was more referring to terminal tackle like worm hooks and such. When crankbait hooks start to rust I just replace them.
    You are wasting your time and money toss them and replace. If you buy new keep them in the plastic packs to keep this from happening again. Gammy hooks as sweetwater said are the best hooks made.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally like Owner hooks and Gamakatsu hooks a close second. To answer your question yes, you can fix them but the time to do it and materials may be more than replacing the hooks depending on how many you have. If they are Owner or Gammi hooks at about 75 cents each then maybe you can give it a try but if they are eagle claw type or Generic offset hooks I would probably just replace them.
    But if you want to fix them here you go.

make sure the hooks are clean from rust and have a needle point . make sure there is no rust in the line tie area. depending on how bad the rust is you can may be able to clean them off but if the hooks are pitted then discard them.
    first wash them with soap and water and a brush. 2nd, soak them in CLR to remove and kill the rust that is existing and then wash them in dawn dishwashing liquid and hot water again. take them out and dry them immediately. Once you get them all cleaned from the rust and dried you can either coat them individually or soak them in firearm barrel blueing solution. this will give you the rust protection that has been worn away. make sure that you don'e let the blueing material gel up and overcoat the hooks , but if you submerse them for a couple hours this should turn your hooks/ black/blue colored. You can papertowl dry them off and make sure they are all dried. After I did this I may put a slight coat of oil on them just to make sure that they do not rust again and store them in a plastic bag or well ventilated box

Post Thanks / Like
    Once rust gets on a hook its toast. Rust pits the metal weakening it, and it will break if put under pressure. I've snapped too many hooks on a hookset to even mess with thats had rust on it. Sometimes i didnt even know they had any rust, but when you look at where the hook broke youll see that rust was there
    Likes TroyRalph502 liked this post