Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bent axle help!!

I haven't got it into a shop yet to have it diagnosed, but it sure looks like I've got a bent axle on my 21' Triton's trailer. The steel belts are showing through on the insides of both tires. Has anyone else had this problem before and where can I get it fixed? I'm flying totally blind here so any input is welcome. Oh yeah, I live in extreme Northern Kentucky (Newport) so Cincinnati is within spitting distance.

Post Thanks / Like

Bent Axle Help

I've heard a company in Louisville advertise about correcting the alignment of the axle with the longitudinal axis of the trailer. I suspect any major business selling trailers should be able to refer you to a dealer or two in the Cincinnati area. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball View Post
    I haven't got it into a shop yet to have it diagnosed, but it sure looks like I've got a bent axle on my 21' Triton's trailer. The steel belts are showing through on the insides of both tires. Has anyone else had this problem before and where can I get it fixed? I'm flying totally blind here so any input is welcome. Oh yeah, I live in extreme Northern Kentucky (Newport) so Cincinnati is within spitting distance.
    Tony's Automotive in Louisville on Preston Highway was able to straighten the axle on my Tracker Trailer a few years ago. I was also chewing up the inside of my tires. I'd have to put new tires on every year. GOT tired and expensive doing that.

I think the straightening and alignment cost less than 100 bucks.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of the trailer tires on boats do not come with tires balanced. A friend of mine bought a brand new deck boat 2013, and his tires a year later were bald. Check your rims and see if they have been balanced with lead weights. If not, this could be your problem. Since under warranty, they bought him brand new tires.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassky View Post
    A lot of the trailer tires on boats do not come with tires balanced. A friend of mine bought a brand new deck boat 2013, and his tires a year later were bald. Check your rims and see if they have been balanced with lead weights. If not, this could be your problem. Since under warranty, they bought him brand new tires.
    Bassky
    I had never heard that before! Not saying it isn't so, it's just aggravating and depressing that some companies will stoop that low to make another nickel off their customers. I didn't think that balancing could cause that type of problem, but then I know just about enough to be dangerous. I'll definitely look into it and hope you're right, but scenarios like this don't typically turn out real good for me. Thanks for your input!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball View Post
    I had never heard that before! Not saying it isn't so, it's just aggravating and depressing that some companies will stoop that low to make another nickel off their customers. I didn't think that balancing could cause that type of problem, but then I know just about enough to be dangerous. I'll definitely look into it and hope you're right, but scenarios like this don't typically turn out real good for me. Thanks for your input!
    Balancing is not the likely problem. Sounds like a bent axle. I don't think both tires would wear due to balance.

I tried everything, and then had Tony's fix the axle. I've not had a problem since.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in agreement with GeoFisher as I think it likely it's an alignment issue vs. a balancing problem. With that said, I also make sure my trailer tires are balanced. I suspect the same business resolving your alignment issue can also advise you on balancing your tires. With the cords showing on both tires on the inside, that just sounds ugly. Almost as if the trailer was overloaded. Good Luck. I'm interested in what you learn........
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    When you said it's a 21' Tritons trailer, is this duel axel and all 4 tires or a single and 2 tires. If it's a single then it's overloaded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hairball I live in bellevue a friend of Jeff sharp take your trailer to rob at kohnens by Jeff he balances my trailer tires he also has a couple of boats

Post Thanks / Like

inside wear

I had the same issue with my trailer, inside edge was wearing bad and had bad cupping going on. it turned out to be bent spindles from hitting bad spot on I-65. I took it to Tony's on Popular Level rd. and straightened spindles and did alignment for around $75. No problems since.
    Dog
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kydog View Post
    I had the same issue with my trailer, inside edge was wearing bad and had bad cupping going on. it turned out to be bent spindles from hitting bad spot on I-65. I took it to Tony's on Popular Level rd. and straightened spindles and did alignment for around $75. No problems since.
    Dog
    They are BAD to the BONE............they are the ones who fixed me too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    When you said it's a 21' Tritons trailer, is this duel axel and all 4 tires or a single and 2 tires. If it's a single then it's overloaded.
    Fortunately it's just a single axle. I have to think that I wouldn't be having this problem if it was a tandem. If I wind up having to put a new axle under it, I'll definitely look into one that's a little beefier. I hit some major potholes last year and I know where they are, but I think I'll still take an alternate route to Ye Olde Honey Hole. Dropped the rig off at the shop a while ago so I'm waiting for their verdict. In the meantime, there's a certain part of my anatomy that's going to be real puckered up until I hear from them.