Search Fishin.com

Thread: Winter Help

Post Thanks / Like

Winter Help

My son is a new father, hasn't been able to fish much. Wife and son going to visit in-laws. So he and I planning a bass trip to Laurel Lake 1st weekend in Feb.not a winter fishermen.any help greatly appreciated, Water temp,baits anything.Thanks very much

Post Thanks / Like
    Shiners, warm clothes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks warm clothes a must Hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellkat View Post
    Shiners, warm clothes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never been to Laurel, but based on experience at other lakes, I would definitely try a few jerkbaits. I would lean more towards the deeper, spoonbill types and all would be suspending models. Natural color patterns would be my first choice, but assuming you're going after smallies, don't be afraid to throw the gaudiest looking thing you can find. Jigs should figure prominently in your arsenal, again in natural colors. Use jig trailers that have subdued action to look more natural. Spinnerbaits can be good at this time of year too. Just a couple weeks ago I caught a 6+ largemouth on a spinnerbait at Cumberland. And of course there's always the float 'n fly. If you've never tried it, there's a wealth of good info on how to set up your rigs on this site - just do a search. Catching big smallies on the float 'n fly is as much fun as a man can have with his pants on. As I mentioned, I've never been to Laurel, but I would think bluff walls would offer some good opportunities, especially the ends of them where they transition back out of the channel bends.
    Likes peter, bayouboogie50 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much always wanted to try floating a fly thing might be a good chance to try it out thanks again
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball View Post
    I've never been to Laurel, but based on experience at other lakes, I would definitely try a few jerkbaits. I would lean more towards the deeper, spoonbill types and all would be suspending models. Natural color patterns would be my first choice, but assuming you're going after smallies, don't be afraid to throw the gaudiest looking thing you can find. Jigs should figure prominently in your arsenal, again in natural colors. Use jig trailers that have subdued action to look more natural. Spinnerbaits can be good at this time of year too. Just a couple weeks ago I caught a 6+ largemouth on a spinnerbait at Cumberland. And of course there's always the float 'n fly. If you've never tried it, there's a wealth of good info on how to set up your rigs on this site - just do a search. Catching big smallies on the float 'n fly is as much fun as a man can have with his pants on. As I mentioned, I've never been to Laurel, but I would think bluff walls would offer some good opportunities, especially the ends of them where they transition back out of the channel bends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Football jig (1/2 or 3/4 oz) on points.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chartreuse Hand Grenade
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    With that said you can catch fish in cold water but all the presentations mentioned above the most important thing is s-l-o-w down and probably down size your bait. I like some red in my color in cold weather and do not be afraid to try a crank bait if the sun is out go to a dark bank or rip rap you may be surprised how shallow they will get if the sun is out or if you have had a warm rain. This is a time when you can catch a pig!!!!

Good luck