Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jack's knot-The knot of knots.

Here is a knot Jack at bass pro fly department in Clarksville showed me today.

We tied some improved clinch knots and tried to break them with jerking the 8 pound big game mono line and we did. This knot would not break using two sets of pliers.

It is super easy and fast to tie once you learn it. You don't even have to wet the line. In the first step the tagline goes underneath the main line, not on top of it. Critical.

Great for floro too.

I a convert.
    Last edited by peter; 01-19-2015 at 09:55 AM.
    Likes Tyme2fish liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't realize this knot was invented recently until I read up on it a bit. I was wondering why I had never heard of it before. It was invented by a flyfisherman so you hear about it more in that segment. I tied several yesterday and it works great on regular mono and floral carbon. http://www.flyfisherman.com/how-to/jacks-knot/ I huge timesaver.
    Last edited by peter; 01-19-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    I didn't realize this knot was invented recently until I read up on it a bit. I was wondering why I had never heard of it before. It was invented by a flyfisherman so you hear about it more in that segment. I tied several yesterday and it works great on regular mono and floral carbon. http://www.flyfisherman.com/how-to/jacks-knot/ I huge timesaver.
    Peter I am surprised how simple and strong this is thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

Jack's Knot

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Here is a knot Jack at bass pro fly department in Clarksville showed me today.

We tied some improved clinch knots and tried to break them with jerking the 8 pound big game mono line and we did. This knot would not break using two sets of pliers.

It is super easy and fast to tie once you learn it. You don't even have to wet the line. In the first step the tagline goes underneath the main line, not on top of it. Critical.

Great for floro too.

I a convert.
    How versatile is this knot? Can it be used on 8lb mono and 5x tippet?

Post Thanks / Like
    How versatile is this knot? Can it be used on 8lb mono and 5x tippet?
    I tied some 8 lb mono and tipet at Bass pro clarksville with Jack the fellow that works in the fly department (a different Jack). I believe it is very versatile. Just one free end needed. Give it a try then try to break it. I could easily break all the modified clinch knots with pliers popping with line slack but could not break this one.

I'm pretty fired up about this one because I fish with a rods with three knows per rod. It is so quick and easy too.

Note: My clinch knows were not failing when fighting fish however I use pretty light drag.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the same knot that I learned from a book "how to be a better worm fisher" from 1963. I have been using it for 20 years or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rooster View Post
    That is the same knot that I learned from a book "how to be a better worm fisher" from 1963. I have been using it for 20 years or so.
    That is interesting. Have you been dong it the following way or the way in the video?

Excerpt from another article:
    I showed Lefty Kreh, author of Fishing Knots (Stackpole Books, 2007) and two other books on knots, and he said the knot is new to him, and looks like a slight variation of the Davy knot.

“The Davy knot makes the final wrap around the loop while this knot makes the final loop around the two folded lines—I think the newer variation may be stronger but I’d need to test it,” Lefty told me in an email.

Post Thanks / Like
    pretty much the same way. Once you get use to it you can tie it in the dark once you thread the eye of the hook.