Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Heavy Flipping Hooks and Snell knots

Ok I'm really trying to figure which heavy flipping hook I want to try. The Strike King "hack attack" or the VMC "Ike approved" ones. The VMC seems to be made for snell knots with the space between the bait keeper and the closed eye but the Strike King version doesn't have that large of a gap there. Anyone try either or both hooks and tie snell knots?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't help you out with the Hack Attack hooks, but I can give you a little input on the VMC hooks. I haven't fished with them yet, but I ordered some VMC Ike Approved hooks from Tackle Warehouse last month and they don't really impress me much. I love the VMC wide gap worm hooks but these flipping hooks flex quite a bit and they don't seem very sharp when I run them across my finger nail. Also, the hook keeper seems bulky and weird. I recently found some Trokar flipping hooks on sale at the local Walmart and bought them too. They are sharper, more rigid, and the hook keeper looks cleaner. I'll still fish with both of them this spring and hopefully they both work fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly, I read that the VMC had the heavy flipping and the normal flipping hook. The heavy is supposed to be better on that but I never tried either.

The Hack attack hook is a gamakatsu tuna hook that they made for strike king. I bet that thing won't flex much at all. I'm prolly gonna get those since what you experienced with the VMC's is what I am concerned with and has been the problem I read about.

I like the design concept on both manufactures offerings. Closed off eyes so line won't slip into or out of the hook eye, the plastic keeper and the short stout hook for flipping smaller baits.

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread popped up on BBC today about the Hack Attack hooks not being sealed at the eye. I just thought I would pass it along. http://www.bbcboards.net/bbc-lounge/...ok-issues.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    This thread popped up on BBC today about the Hack Attack hooks not being sealed at the eye. I just thought I would pass it along. http://www.bbcboards.net/bbc-lounge/...ok-issues.html
    Thank you. That had some great info and I will monitor that thread to see what SK does for him.