Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Wolf Creek Dam fishing right now

Would it be worth the trip to Wolf Creek right now to fish for trout from the bank? Would it be a better trip from a boat this time of year?

I am getting the itch to fish really bad, so I thought if I could catch a decent day, I would try for some trout at Wolf Creek dam.

I'm close to 3 hours away so I don't want to take the boat if it isn't necessary, but I don't want to regret not taking it. What are your thoughts? Boat or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    The water is off from 5 in the morning til 4in the afternoon the past couple of days and the trout fishing is good now casting nightcrawlers to the pools and power baits off the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like
    When they are generating you can catch em by jigging spoons up next to the boils. Buddy of mine has been catching some nice ones with a few over 20 inches. Or cast a kastmaster into the boils and let drift out with the current. Nice way to catch stripers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro929 View Post
    When they are generating you can catch em by jigging spoons up next to the boils. Buddy of mine has been catching some nice ones with a few over 20 inches. Or cast a kastmaster into the boils and let drift out with the current. Nice way to catch stripers.
    Is this done from the bank, or in a boat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudypoo4444 View Post
    Man I have been wanting to try this the last several years if you go Rudy send me a pm please.

Also they are stopping the generation during the weekdays right now when they are able, to work on the new trout stocking stream down there. Very cool project.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Man I have been wanting to try this the last several years if you go Rudy send me a pm please.

Also they are stopping the generation during the weekdays right now when they are able to work on the new trout stocking stream down there. Very cool project.....

Will do mhall. I'll be making a trip in the next month I hope.
    Likes mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudypoo4444 View Post
    Boat . if you want to drift down stream try a Berkeley flicker shad in the rainbow trout color. We did really good in December doing this.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can cast spoons from the bank but you have to use heavy braid and change the hooks to a lighter size because you will hang a lot and expect to loose some spoons. I caught a 4lb. walleye there last night right at dark then the water started to rise and the current changed.
    Likes mhall, PRO V LE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I am reading, bringing my boat seems to be the better option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes boat works best. Be very carefull , strong current, cold water, WEAR your life jacket, other boaters. We fish next to the dam all the time. Those pipes sticking out of the walls will discharge at random times. A 12 inch pipe will fill your boat quick and they shoot out 3 to 4 feet. The boils can get you off balance and spin you like a top. Make sure you have a dependable motor to get you out of there and a stout trolling motor is a must in my opinion. You can get in trouble quick. When that horn sounds you must move away from dam. Be carefull!!!!!!!!
    Likes mhall, rooster, Rudypoo4444 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    On another note if they open a sluice gate,all bets are off you have current going in 14 different directions . It will **** you in a heartbeat and who knows if or when it will spit you out. If you are between Kendall ramp and the dam you better know what you are doing. That water can go from calm to a raging giant in seconds. When they first crack open generators can be some of the roughest water until it fills up the the river then it kinda gets defined on what part will kick your butt. Every once in a while you can get a rouge wave from nowhere. CAnt say it enough you come out of that boat or it don't start or you push the limit it will correct you
    Likes Rudypoo4444, FlyLie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice Shellkat. I'm not down there often enough, so I won't be fishing too close to the dam. I like to drift along with the current past the ramp at the dam, bouncing jigs off the bottom, catching these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rainbow trout.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	9988
    Likes mhall liked this post