Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Downrigger weights

Looking to get into the downrigger game this year on Cumberland for stripers. Any recommendations on what size downrigger weights to use? I'd guess 6 or 8 pounders.

Would appreciate advice on the clips, too. I'd like to use the stacker clips but if they're difficult to use I'm fine with just the singles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boskeet View Post
    Looking to get into the downrigger game this year on Cumberland for stripers. Any recommendations on what size downrigger weights to use? I'd guess 6 or 8 pounders.

Would appreciate advice on the clips, too. I'd like to use the stacker clips but if they're difficult to use I'm fine with just the singles.
    I use 10# pancake style weights and Cannon stacker clips and release's. The lighter weights will swing back and up at depth. You want to see you're weights in the cone angle of you're graph. Also have a good rod holder setup, I like Cannon products myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PRO V LE View Post
    I use 10# pancake style weights and Cannon stacker clips and release's. The lighter weights will swing back and up at depth. You want to see you're weights in the cone angle of you're graph. Also have a good rod holder setup, I like Cannon products myself.

Do you use lead or cast iron weights? The cast weights are half the price, I just wonder if that equates to half the performance...

Post Thanks / Like

weights

I carry 6lb for under 25ft and 10lb weights under 75ft and 12lb past that ( Cannon Flash ) depending on the depths I will be fishing.
    I switched my cable from SS to Power pro150Lb line. Although I miss the hum of the wire I get less drag back from my weights they seem to hang straighter. But no ore using the little black box while trolling .
    I'm a Scotty guy I run 2 1100 duel pros never any issues, great customer service.My only issues have been self induced .
    I've got 12 years on this set still look and run like new from the Pacific ocean to the great lakes.