Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jax Salmon tomorrow

Me and Don are headed out tomorrow morning to see if we can catch some Jax's ...Something tells me there won't be many boats out there LOL.....BRRRRRRRRRRRR

I will post on return
    Likes mhall, riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What are jax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Old Skewl name for Sauger..............Oh HELL YEA.

I'd like to catch some jacks myself.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    An old timer about 20 years ago showed me some spots.....before the center was built. When the water is right, and it is flowing down the "right ditch" on the river, AND you can get to it, you can wear out the sauger. I have this one particular place that in early april and may they are HUNGRY and are feeding serious. Usually can only get there by walking around IF you can, or by canoe.

Limits every day are not uncommon.........

I cannot wait. The water has not been quite right at the RIGHT time of year for a few years now, but if things work this year, they will LOAD up again.

Later,

Geo
    Likes riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    jfw, I've discovered a great fish breading for crappie,bluegill, and sauger. It's J.R. Mad's Madgic (yes, spelled that way) Fish Breading distributed by Marion-Kay Spices.

We've also used it for pork chops.
    Likes GeoFisher, jfw, roadrunner, riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfw View Post
    Me and Don are headed out tomorrow morning to see if we can catch some Jax's ...Something tells me there won't be many boats out there LOL.....BRRRRRRRRRRRR

I will post on return
    Well Don schooled me out there today he got 9 (7) keepers and I got 1 !!!! I lost a huge sow at the surface , 5 minutes after we started ....They were not on fire ....the bite was slow but I have to say Don is the man

Don was also on Ky Afield tonight on the "Ones that didn't get away " with a 3lb 3oz black crappie he got a Kentucky Lake !! He released the fish too ....It was the first picture they showed tonight. He is a dang TV star now! And one of the best anglers I know ....I have learned so much from him over the last 15 years on Striper ,hybrid fishing on the River!! Thanks Don for taking me today

Man I froze my hands off out there today , and Don is fishing with no gloves !! Don't know how he wasnt cold , I had my neoprene gloves on but they were not warm at all

Well I get my boat fixed Wed. we just gottta put the gears on the prop shaft back together , it shouldn't take too long
    Likes Tyme2fish, mhall, riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fish View Post
    jfw, I've discovered a great fish breading for crappie,bluegill, and sauger. It's J.R. Mad's Madgic (yes, spelled that way) Fish Breading distributed by Marion-Kay Spices.

We've also used it for pork chops.
    Thanks Tyme

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    An old timer about 20 years ago showed me some spots.....before the center was built. When the water is right, and it is flowing down the "right ditch" on the river, AND you can get to it, you can wear out the sauger. I have this one particular place that in early april and may they are HUNGRY and are feeding serious. Usually can only get there by walking around IF you can, or by canoe.

Limits every day are not uncommon.........

I cannot wait. The water has not been quite right at the RIGHT time of year for a few years now, but if things work this year, they will LOAD up again.

Later,

Geo
    Yeah Geo I think I know where you are taking about .. There is a place across from the Falls Museum where you can anchor the boat in like 4ft of water and then fish the channel that is about 19ft ( depending on the level of course) and in March you can kill them there .

I gave my Boss a bag of Sauger fillets cause he had never ate them , he did and of course loved them ... Then he asked me to take him , we went to that spot and he got one on his 1st cast and we got 19 in 1 1/2 hours ...I love it when they bite like that !

Folks I think it's gonna be a good spring this year for sauger . There were some boats where we were fishing and they left and started fishing by the ramp and all 5 boats were in a small circle , then on the way home from New Albany ramp I rode down by other ramp & talked to a couple of the guys that were in the boats out there ...they said they caught a few ....Sounds like a fish tale to me , I bet they killed them . Surface temp was 33 , and there was a thin sheet of ice on the surface on one spot with little current ...Ok I am rambling Everyone have a great Superbowl Sunday and stay safe in what ever you do!
    Likes Tyme2fish, mhall, riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    What are jax?
    Yep my Dad and his fishing buddy and all the ole river rats called sauger ......Jax Salmon & they called Walleye , Green Salmon... But we rarely ever caught a Walleye back in the 70"s ...I think the River was too polluted back then , Experts say the Ohio is cleaner than it has been in 100 years ...Still not too sure how clean that is, but I know the Zebra Mussels have helped clean the water .....They cause allot damage to the hulls of boats that stay in the water all the time , they have to be scraped off

Heck 40 years ago I don't remember ever catching a smallie or a crappie back then , so I think that kinda proves the water is in better shape
    Likes roadrunner, GeoFisher, riverrat12 liked this post