Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Live shad for sale

Just curious....I'm considering putting a bait shop in Somerset Ky near Conley Bottoms and Burnside Marinas. I'm thinking of selling live gizzard shad and Alwives. (I have lots of experience keeping them alive of extended periods of time.).

Looking at at selling them for around $10 per dozen. It would be a drive through kind of deal where you pull up we fill your tank with water from our tanks and we put the bait in your boat. Everything you need to make sure your bait stays healthy. We would also carry some live bait tackle as well.

Comment or let me know how many of you would like for something like that to be available.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    It is not legal to sell live shad. BIG NO NO .

Post Thanks / Like
    not legal to sell, but I would love to rent some from you. I would return every one of them that did not escape during our boating adventure.

Post Thanks / Like

Beside the legal issue

I go through 1000s spring an fall. Shad have to be the tenderest live bait going. Lots of work, throw in your customer not being able to keep them healthy. FYI for those using LB they buy your buying shiners, a tuff durable bait,
    FYI, critical once you have em. A few dead ones in the live well will result in faster demise of the others.
    Aerator and fresh in coming water is a must once temps go above 60's

More info on maintaining shad fish an wildlife regulate the number your allowed in cages, fact or talk dock you may need to research that one, Never been an issue but another tool in their box.

Post Thanks / Like

Update

Ok fellas. It is legal to sell them checked with fish and wildlife. I can keep shad alive for months and can help customer as well. In this what do u think

QUOTE=rickhise;543531]I go through 1000s spring an fall. Shad have to be the tenderest live bait going. Lots of work, throw in your customer not being able to keep them healthy. FYI for those using LB they buy your buying shiners, a tuff durable bait,
    FYI, critical once you have em. A few dead ones in the live well will result in faster demise of the others.
    Aerator and fresh in coming water is a must once temps go above 60's

More info on maintaining shad fish an wildlife regulate the number your allowed in cages, fact or talk dock you may need to research that one, Never been an issue but another tool in their box.[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    301 KAR 1:132 Sale of live bait

Section 2 Line 3

(3) Live commercially harvested shad, herring or Asian carp shall not be transported and sold as live bait.

This is what I found when I looked it up. I hope I am wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro929 View Post
    301 KAR 1:132 Sale of live bait

Section 2 Line 3

(3) Live commercially harvested shad, herring or Asian carp shall not be transported and sold as live bait.

This is what I found when I looked it up. I hope I am wrong.
    The key to that statute is.... "Commercially harvested" and what that exactly means, it's fairly open to interpretation. It could mean if you harvest them with the intent to make them commercial (for sale $$). Or It could mean the methods used and the scale of those methods.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is also the rest of that statute:

Section 2. Legal sources of live bait. (1) Live bait may be sold by a person possessing a valid:

(a) Live fish and bait dealer’s license if the person purchases the live bait from a legal source as established in this section; or

(b) Commercial fishing license if the live bait is taken pursuant to the requirements of this section.

(2) Asiatic clams may be taken and sold as live bait by a person possessing a valid commercial musseling license.

(3) Live commercially harvested shad, herring, or Asian carp shall not be transported and sold as live bait.

(4) Dead shad, dead herring, dead Asian carp, or other live bait may be sold whole or in part, if taken pursuant to Section 3 of this administrative regulation.

(5) Legal sources of live bait shall include:

(a) Live bait hatched and reared in Kentucky by a person possessing a valid commercial fish propagation permit;

(b) Legal commercial live bait sources in states outside of Kentucky;

(c) A person selling Asiatic clams obtained from a legal brailing method, if the person possesses a valid commercial musseling license;

(d) A person selling Asiatic clams obtained by means of a tagged commercial bait rake pursuant to Section 3 of this administrative regulation, if the person possesses a valid commercial fishing license; or

(e) A person with a valid commercial fishing license who is selling dead shad, dead herring, dead Asian carp, or live bait, if taken pursuant to Section 3 of this administrative regulation.

(6) A licensed live fish and bait dealer who purchases live bait from legal sources outside of Kentucky shall possess a bill of sale that lists the:

(a) Date of purchase; and

(b) Number of each type of live bait purchased.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had always heard that you were not legally allowed to transfer fish from different sources of water. Other than that you were ok to do what you want with your fish as long as you abide by the rules and regulations set by KFDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Legality aside... I think it would make money if located in the right place. We need a "striper soup" on this lake...
    Likes BKGOOCH liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    10 a dozen is very fair. Providing the proper water makes it an even larger value.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right off..... I love you man. Yes.....holly molly heck yes. And if you want me to name my kids after you, STOCK SUCKERS.....PLEASE. Easy to keep, can fish them from surface to 100 foot, and can be used several times.