Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Good Fishing Everyone

Lately, I have enjoyed posting and reading everyone’s responses. As far as God and religion, I personally know where I stand on that subject. I continue to be concerned greatly on how things are going in our country and in the world. However, I am ready for spring, and as soon as the air temperature gets above 40 degrees, I am going to start fishing. I don’t know about you all, but it’s time to get back on the water. I hope everyone gets through this record-breaking weather. We have horses outside so keeping their water liquid will be a challenge if it gets close to -20 degrees. I wish everyone be best and good fishing everyone.
    Likes Tyme2fish, waterdog101, DJD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    reminds me of my youth, we had three horses and it was my job to pump water with a pitcher pump and water the horses. when I started all I could do was carry a 2 1/2 gal bucket to the pen about fifty yards away changing hand often and spilling a lot of water. Then I got were I could carry two 2 1/2 gal buckets then finally two five gal buckets. I remember sloshing water out of the buckets and it freezing on my blue jeans and how much water a horse drank in the winter time. About a week before I got married dad ran a water line out to the horse pen and put in a frost free hydrant. I made a comment that we could have done this years ago and he replied I didn't need it years ago.

Animals take a lot of special care in the winter and especially in these temperatures and they are counting on someone to care for their needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    reminds me of my youth, we had three horses and it was my job to pump water with a pitcher pump and water the horses. when I started all I could do was carry a 2 1/2 gal bucket to the pen about fifty yards away changing hand often and spilling a lot of water. Then I got were I could carry two 2 1/2 gal buckets then finally two five gal buckets. I remember sloshing water out of the buckets and it freezing on my blue jeans and how much water a horse drank in the winter time. About a week before I got married dad ran a water line out to the horse pen and put in a frost free hydrant. I made a comment that we could have done this years ago and he replied I didn't need it years ago.

Animals take a lot of special care in the winter and especially in these temperatures and they are counting on someone to care for their needs.
    I seen on the news where a calf got out on a frozen pond, and broke through the ice, some guys used a chain saw to cut a trail in the ice to pull her back out, they tried to warm her up with heaters, but she died about 2 hours later, I didn't remember why she was out on the ice, I was thinking she may have been looking for some liquid water to drink, but that may not have been the case. but it looked that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where I grew up at we never had any cold weather like this, we just had twisters and hurricanes. Sorry about that, just been stuck inside the house too long. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait until spring gets here again

I'll get the boat out when it warms up.
    Likes Tyme2fish liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonefish View Post
    Lately, I have enjoyed posting and reading everyone’s responses. As far as God and religion, I personally know where I stand on that subject. I continue to be concerned greatly on how things are going in our country and in the world. However, I am ready for spring, and as soon as the air temperature gets above 40 degrees, I am going to start fishing. I don’t know about you all, but it’s time to get back on the water. I hope everyone gets through this record-breaking weather. We have horses outside so keeping their water liquid will be a challenge if it gets close to -20 degrees. I wish everyone be best and good fishing everyone.
    Yes!!! Ready to wet a line and it's coming soon! I would say by next Sunday I'll wet a line even if it is off the bank at Camp Mack in Lake Wales!!
    Soooo looking forward to this trip!! It's good to get out with friends and enjoy this sport/past time..... I wish you all the best in fishing and in life.
    Likes waterdog101, Tyme2fish liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Yes!!! Ready to wet a line and it's coming soon! I would say by next Sunday I'll wet a line even if it is off the bank at Camp Mack in Lake Wales!!
    Soooo looking forward to this trip!! It's good to get out with friends and enjoy this sport/past time..... I wish you all the best in fishing and in life.
    hope you have the best trip ever..
    Likes DJD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bonefish, like you I won't fish in cold weather. My main fishing buddy, Knute(The Heathen) has finally joined my philosophy on cold weather fishing.

I got a bad case of frostbite back in 1970 while I was in basic training ( This was unreported by me and never officially treated or documented) . There I was at Fort Campbell,KY in one of the coldest winters ever, training to go to Nam and I get frostbite.

Fortunately, I wasn't sent to Nam but cold weather ever then since will numb my fingers and cause pain in a heart beat.

Yep, air temp has to be above 40 before I go fishing.
    Likes DJD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We have heaters in their water tanks and so far no ice thankfully. Its hard to believe they can stand such outside temperatures. As long as you keep them fed well, they make it. My wife use to train horses in this kind of weather. They would put plastic between the barns at Keeneland to break the wind and ride the horses. I have seen her come in from the track with ice frozen on her face and gloves. I don't know how people work out in this kind of weather. That was years ago. The cattle people are having a hard time right now keeping their newborn calves alive. This will hurt their bottom line for sure this year. I am just looking forward to some warm weather and some sunny days on the lake. I pray everyone stays warm and fed during this cold weather.
    Likes waterdog101, DJD liked this post