Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Heading to Guntersville in March

Never fished it before. Bulk of my fishing has been in all the MO lakes, Kentucky/Barkley, Norfolk, and Fork. I feel pretty confident in knowing what baits to throw in the spring, but I keep hearing how tough Guntersville is when you don't know the lake well. My brother and I are taking my father on what may well be our last big fishing week with him as age is really beginning to take it's toll. Really want to put him on some bass down there. We've been studying maps like crazy, but I would really appreciate any guidance anyone could give on where to locate them down there. Be heading out on March 29th and staying for a week. Thanks and God Bless.

Post Thanks / Like
    C'mon I know a lot you Kentucky guys fish Guntersville. Heck that's where I even got the idea from talking to guys around the lake while fishing with my brother out of Smithland. Everyone on the Alabama discussion board said I would have better luck getting some advice from the Kentucky fellas. Really looking forward to the trip and want to put our Dad on some bass. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Guntersville

I fish the lake alot and its March is different every year depending on the water level and temps. First off the lake will be packed the 28th and 29th due to big bass splash tournament I mean absolutely packed with boats. I am going for the tournament myself if work permits. My advice those two days is fish up the lake at Mud Creek when you go under the first bride either make sure you know the channel or idle till you know it once you get past the second bridge I would suggest Idle only, the good news is you can catch fish anywhere up there and most boats in the tournament wont run that far. The main lake and creeks are alot different late March the creeks are 5-10 degrees warmer and fish will be right in the spawn and some will be postspawn. The main lake fish will be more prespawn or just going on depending on the weather. Its alot easier to get on fish and catch a few in creeks but the average quality is going to be bigger on main lake. Finding fish in creeks is easy just look for spawning areas and fish the green milfoil thats close. On the main lake its more wide open there wont be as much green grass and it varies between milfoil, eelgrass, hydrilla. But I would fish points, pockets off the main lake and rocky banks. One really good easy pattern that wins alot of spring tournaments on guntersville in March including a few BASS events including the Classic is fishing bridges. The lake narrows down where roads go across creeks on the lake and it concentrates the fish. Its a community hole deal but thru the week you can fish them easier. The bridges in North Sauty, South Sauty, mink creek are a few good ones I know of. The first two were responsible for major tournament wins. As far as baits rattletraps are hard to beat in late march. If your fishing the mid lake area I would suggest putting in at Scottsboro park and fishing dry creek. That area is easy to get on fish and catch a few just go up the creek till you see the road/riprap and fish that look for grass in that last mile before the bridge just look for milfoil or stumps. Spinnerbaits, single swimbaits like skinny dippers, shallow crankbaits, jigs, are the main baits I use. If its warm topwaters are good especially up the creeks. I have had some great days in mud creek in the middle of march on buzzbaits. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. May get on the water late afternoon on the 29th after the tournament is over. Going to fish all week and hoping it's a little calmer then. Thanks for the heads up on Mudd Creek. Another gentleman told me that was a locals spot and a lot of people don't go up there. I plan on trying it out, looks like there is a boat ramp pretty close to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    They're spawning right now. At least in Auburn, which would be 150 miles south of Gville.