Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Boat horsepower restrictions lifted on some small lakes

Kentucky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Resources News

Feb. 26, 2015 Contact: Dave Baker
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 1-800-858-1549, ext. 4454

Boat motor horsepower restrictions have been lifted on eight state-owned lakes. .

Previously, boaters could not operate a motor larger than 10 horsepower on these lakes. Boaters can now use the larger motors, but must run them at idle speed only. Anglers may continue to run boat motors that are 10 horsepower or smaller at any speed.

Waters affected by this regulation include Boltz, Bullock Pen and Corinth lakes in Grant County; Beaver Lake in Anderson County; Elmer Davis Lake in Owen County; Kincaid Lake in Pendleton County; Shanty Hollow Lake in Warren and Edmonson counties; and Swan Lake in Ballard County.

The restrictions were lifted to increase fishing access to anglers with more powerful boats.

The new regulations lifting the horsepower limits received final approval too late for inclusion in the 2015 Kentucky Fishing and Boating Guide.

However, signs advising anglers of this change will be posted in the coming weeks at all affected lakes.
    Conservation officers with Kentucky Fish and Wildlife will strictly enforce the idle speed only regulation on boats with larger motors. Signs posted at each lake will include a phone number for the public to report any violators.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good News

Post Thanks / Like
    Everybody knows what idle is right?
    Likes boskeet liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Slowest maneuverable speed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyLie View Post
    Good News
    X2

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    X2
    X3

Post Thanks / Like

I only have one question.....

So when will they decrease the motor restrictions on the bigger lakes to allow "fishable" access to the small boats? And to all that tell me to get a bigger boat, why didn't you get a smaller one to access these waters? I have had both big and small boats and I used them appropriately. As we all know, this is going to destroy some of these small waters. Fish and wildlife is just another government agency that is understaffed.....so how well will these laws be enforced? Rarely if ever.....if this upsets anyone, sorry. This is my opinion and my thoughts....I feel many will agree and many won't. Be safe everyone....
    Likes _BassAssassin_ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    when will they restrict the cigar boats at Nolin?

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Good news??? Really??? .........

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig'em83 View Post
    So when will they decrease the motor restrictions on the bigger lakes to allow "fishable" access to the small boats? And to all that tell me to get a bigger boat, why didn't you get a smaller one to access these waters? I have had both big and small boats and I used them appropriately. As we all know, this is going to destroy some of these small waters. Fish and wildlife is just another government agency that is understaffed.....so how well will these laws be enforced? Rarely if ever.....if this upsets anyone, sorry. This is my opinion and my thoughts....I feel many will agree and many won't. Be safe everyone....
    Most of the bigger lakes have multiple ramps, so people with smaller boats can launch close to where they want to fish and won't have to fight that much boat traffic. I've seen several small boats on Nolin, Rough, Barren, etc and they seem just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    Most of the bigger lakes have multiple ramps, so people with smaller boats can launch close to where they want to fish and won't have to fight that much boat traffic. I've seen several small boats on Nolin, Rough, Barren, etc and they seem just fine.

yeah, as long as our boat doesn't flip or sink, we're doing just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    That's the point.....these small lakes were there to give ppl a chance who only have small boats. If others want to fish them get a small boat. Perfect example....guist creek lake in Shelbyville.....they removed the hp restriction years ago and I will include myself as I've been guilty of it too but it is supposed to be a lake were you are to IDLE by other boats who are fishing....it don't happen. No one is there to enforce it and there are too many ppl who just don't care. You say they seem fine.....have you ever asked them? Most guys in small boats dislike big bass boats the way guys in bass boats dislike jet skis....it's just how it is. Until everyone can learn to be courteous this idea of "IDLE" only will never work. ( by the way....I've never seen a trolling motor only boat on any lake you have mentioned above.....to your respect I've only been on a couple but still never seen it. Nor have I seen any under 10 hp boats in general.)