Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Cumberland 2/28

After being stuck in the snow for the last couple weeks, decided to go out Saturday and give it another try. It was very cold. The water temp had dropped about 8 degrees and was 39-41 degrees on the lower end and clear although not as clear as it was 2 weeks ago. Water had also come up about 8 feet. It was really cold. It started at 16 at first light and eventually got up to 40 but it took its time getting there. I took my wife's cousin with me and (too cold for my boys this trip). Thought it would be slower fishing with the changes and frigid water and it was. We ended up boating 4 nice smallies with one a little over 4 as the biggest. 1 on shiner the others on small jigs. Most were in 20-30 ft. I lost a couple and my partner lost I think 3 all on the little jig. All in all, it was a decent trip given the conditions.

I did have one cool thing I'll share in one of the pics. Although, I've tried several times to catch fish right under the boat and watch it all live on the depthfinder,I've never actually done it until Saturday. Came real close last trip catching a nice striper in 70'. Didn't see the fish come to the bait that time though. I was cruising around 30 feet and you can clearly see 2 fish pop up in about 15' of water. I reel in and drop down on top of them. You can see one rise and strike the lure. Then you can see the other head to the bottom as I reel in it's cruising partner. Pretty cool. It is the smaller one I'm holding in the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1366small.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	10230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1360small.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	10231   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1361small.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	10232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1362small.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	10233  

Likes 410th, riverrat12, mudslinger liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the post. Great sonar shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Thanks for the post. Great sonar shot.
    What he said!

Post Thanks / Like

Electronics

Quote Originally Posted by kybluediver1 View Post
    After being stuck in the snow for the last couple weeks, decided to go out Saturday and give it another try. It was very cold. The water temp had dropped about 8 degrees and was 39-41 degrees on the lower end and clear although not as clear as it was 2 weeks ago. Water had also come up about 8 feet. It was really cold. It started at 16 at first light and eventually got up to 40 but it took its time getting there. I took my wife's cousin with me and (too cold for my boys this trip). Thought it would be slower fishing with the changes and frigid water and it was. We ended up boating 4 nice smallies with one a little over 4 as the biggest. 1 on shiner the others on small jigs. Most were in 20-30 ft. I lost a couple and my partner lost I think 3 all on the little jig. All in all, it was a decent trip given the conditions.

I did have one cool thing I'll share in one of the pics. Although, I've tried several times to catch fish right under the boat and watch it all live on the depthfinder,I've never actually done it until Saturday. Came real close last trip catching a nice striper in 70'. Didn't see the fish come to the bait that time though. I was cruising around 30 feet and you can clearly see 2 fish pop up in about 15' of water. I reel in and drop down on top of them. You can see one rise and strike the lure. Then you can see the other head to the bottom as I reel in it's cruising partner. Pretty cool. It is the smaller one I'm holding in the picture.

I winter fish this way with a down rod all winter, Usually have my wave points marked on structure split screen to take my shad over it. Watching the line of the fish move to the bait. Is addictive. Good report
    Likes riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great report as usual!
    Did you launch from the Dam ramp? I was going to go but heard some of the ramps might be frozen. The ramp on the main lake from the State Park road, particularly.

Post Thanks / Like
    As of saturday, the dam ramp was perfectly clear. At least till the next round hits.

Post Thanks / Like

Late March fishing

Making the trip down the last week in March from Cincinnati, any tips on where the best fishing is?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm no Cumberland expert. Honestly, I usually fish other area lakes this time of the year. If it ever decides to warm up I would think you could catch them all over the lake in early march though. coneley bottoms area and up can get pretty muddy if we get a lot of rain. The lower end typically stays clear unless we REALLY get rain. I don't mind stained water if the water is warmer. good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buchy1210 View Post
    Making the trip down the last week in March from Cincinnati, any tips on where the best fishing is?
    From Ohio, huh? Neat.

Late March I usually have my best success on Cumberland with a bubble gum trick worm wacky-rigged over the channel in about 120' of water. Don't forget to soak your worms in gasoline as an attractant.

Good luck!

P.S. - just kidding. Late March ought to be prime shallow to mid-depth water time...get on Google Earth and check out the low-water pictures to see where the cover is others might not see...
    Likes riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    From Ohio, huh? Neat.

Late March I usually have my best success on Cumberland with a bubble gum trick worm wacky-rigged over the channel in about 120' of water. Don't forget to soak your worms in gasoline as an attractant.

Good luck!

P.S. - just kidding. Late March ought to be prime shallow to mid-depth water time...get on Google Earth and check out the low-water pictures to see where the cover is others might not see...
    Oh that's funny right there LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    From Ohio, huh? Neat.

Good luck!

That is a good one, but thanks. Looks like I will stay closer to the dam and hope for some good weather and clear water