Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flourocarbon vs. Mono

Which line do you prefer for different categories of lures? Fill in the blank. Looking to get my reels spooled here soon and wanted your thoughts. I have always used mono only and know there are certain lures that would work better for flouro. Year two in our fishing club and hoping to move up a few spots this year. What's your thoughts??

Crankbait-
    Spinnerbait-
    Jig-
    Top Water-
    Soft Plastics-

Anything else you want to add.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mono is all I ever use. 8 on everything and some 15 on 1 for the wooly stuff. Always done alright and haven't lost fish due to breakage. I've ponder using fluro but haven't. I have used braid but didn't like the whine. IMO all has its place just not seen all the benefits. I did like braid one day when my boat floated off and hooked it to bring it back to the bank

Post Thanks / Like
    Below are my personal preferences and what I have had the best luck using.

Crankbait- 8 to 12lb fluro (This depends on the structure I'm fishing and how deep I am trying to go)

Spinnerbait-12 to 15lb fluro (I mainly use 12lb but will use a heavier line if I am worried about a lot of abrasions)

Jig- The type of line I use with this technique has everything to do with what type of jig fishing I'm doing. Heavy structure I like braid; or if I'm fishing around a lot of rocks. Swimming or flipping targets 20lb fluro

Top Water- This is the only time I ever use mono

Soft Plastics- 12 to 15lb fluro (unless its finesse then its 8 to 6lb fluro or a combination of 8lb braid with a fluro leader)
    Likes Crankinstein, Stumphunter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat44 View Post
    Below are my personal preferences and what I have had the best luck using.

Crankbait- 8 to 12lb fluro (This depends on the structure I'm fishing and how deep I am trying to go)

Spinnerbait-12 to 15lb fluro (I mainly use 12lb but will use a heavier line if I am worried about a lot of abrasions)

Jig- The type of line I use with this technique has everything to do with what type of jig fishing I'm doing. Heavy structure I like braid; or if I'm fishing around a lot of rocks. Swimming or flipping targets 20lb fluro

Top Water- This is the only time I ever use mono

Soft Plastics- 12 to 15lb fluro (unless its finesse then its 8 to 6lb fluro or a combination of 8lb braid with a fluro leader)
    X2

Post Thanks / Like
    Crainkbait- 10-12 pound mono -I like the stretch in my line so when I don't lose as many fish, also gives a better action to the bait when you bang it off cover I think
    spinnerbait- 14 pound flouro - I'm a chatter bait guy but I fish both on the same rig. I just like the low stretch
    jig- 17-20 pound flouro - I'm a big fan of jig fishing, and I prefer seaguar red label. Hasa. Low stretch and performs amazingly. Don't think I lost a fish or a jig last year.
    top water- same as cranking.
    soft plastics- Texas rig- 14lb flouro, shakey head- 6-8lb fluro -really like p-line and I seem to do well with these setups. Texas rig is what I fish 70% of the time and I have t had a problem with this setup yet. Once again I probably lost maybe 3 rigs last year. I use tungsten and I don't know if that helps, or it's just a confidence thing. But trust me, I'll stick half my body and my entire rod in the water to get back that tungsten. Good luck! Shopping g for line can get expensive and overwhelming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Crankbait- fluoro but you can get by with mono. Fluoro sinks and will get and keep your bait down where it needs to be. Obviously what size you use will vary with what youre doing. Jerkbait 8-10lb. Medium cranks 10-12lb. Deep cranking 12-15lb.

Spinnerbaits-fluoro but you can get by with mono. Fluoro will help keep your bait down. I use 15-20lb as im usually around cover.

Topwater- mono or braid only. They both float and having a line that floats is imperitive when fishing topwaters. Usually 12-15lb depending on what im throwing.

Jigs-my go to and confidence bait. Fluoro only and 15-20lb depending on jig size and cover. Less stretch than mono on a hookset and the less stretch will give you better feel and help detect light bites

Soft plastics-same as jigs fluoro only for same reasons. 12-20lb depending on application.

Basically use fluoro for any and all bottom contact applications. I hate braid. If you fish around a lot of rocks the braid is actually less abrasion resistant than fluoro. If you buy cheap fluoro you will hate it. Its extremely stiff, brittle, and hard to manage. I use seaguar invizx strictly but there are a few good brands. Tackle warehouse runs a huge christmas sale on seaguar line and i buy 1000 or 3000yd spools and it makes it much much cheaper than going out and buying a 200yd spool everytime you need line. Use a cheap mono as backing on your reels to save on how much fluoro you use per spool up. Fill your reel 1/4-1/2 with mono and then spool the rest with the more expensive fluoro

Post Thanks / Like
    Great responses guys. Ive really been throwing jigs a lot more but have not had the success I want. Maybe switching to flouro will help catch one more extra fish now and then. Good tip on pre spooling the line with mono. What pound mono and what is a good know for tying two line together?? Thanks for all the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the backing of my reels I use whatever I have around. Had a large spool of about 12 pound line that I've got on my reels behind my expensive line. Just go get some cheap trilene big game or whatever they have at the store for cheap. Has probably saved me $50 in line over two years or so!

Post Thanks / Like

Mono backing.

Quote Originally Posted by cpsniper05 View Post
    Great responses guys. Ive really been throwing jigs a lot more but have not had the success I want. Maybe switching to flouro will help catch one more extra fish now and then. Good tip on pre spooling the line with mono. What pound mono and what is a good know for tying two line together?? Thanks for all the help.
    Pit really depends if you think you might run out of braid or not. Then you have to decide what test you want for back up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ordered myself some P-Line Last week from bass pro. I've been contemplating the same thing. Haven't gotten to try it out yet but its supposed to be a mono coated in fluorocarbon I believe. From what I have read its supposed to be the best of both worlds and is supposed to be a good all around line for anything your throwing. Cant wait to try it out. Just an option I thought you may want to look into. I bought 600 yards this past week after reading some of the reviews on bass pro. Any of you guys on here have any experience using it? Seems like most who reviewed it loved it and use it religiously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Allex View Post
    Just ordered myself some P-Line Last week from bass pro. I've been contemplating the same thing. Haven't gotten to try it out yet but its supposed to be a mono coated in fluorocarbon I believe. From what I have read its supposed to be the best of both worlds and is supposed to be a good all around line for anything your throwing. Cant wait to try it out. Just an option I thought you may want to look into. I bought 600 yards this past week after reading some of the reviews on bass pro. Any of you guys on here have any experience using it? Seems like most who reviewed it loved it and use it religiously.
    If it's flourclear you won't be happy with it. Terrible abrasion resistance and breaks easily. If it's for flipping I spool about 50 yards of sun line shooter fc. I like 25 lb. Tough stuff. Use whatever is on reel for backer. It's probably 20 lb big game, which isn't a bad flipping line if your using a real stiff rod and stout hookset

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a creature of habit I guess because I have always used mono.