Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Basketball-What's Missing?

Don’t get me wrong. I have been a long time Kentucky basketball fan since I was a kid. I even have all the paper clippings that I started to collect back in the 50’s. It just seems we have lost some of the excitement we once had in college basketball. When I watch the teams play across the nation, I see a lot of empty seats. I think the overall scoring is down as well. Is it that teams are playing more half-court or is it better team defense? I also think the 10 to 15 foot shot has been forgotten to some degree. It is either a dunk or a three where teams are concentrating. Preseason can be exciting if coaches are scheduling good teams, but then regular season comes around and the excitement drops until tournament time. Conference rescheduling I think has also taken away regional rivalries. Unlike college football, college basketball looses something during regular season. My question is has college basketball become a tournament game? My last comment is I have trouble when talented teams don’t put the effort in each time they play and just win on talent alone. Maybe some you can add your thoughts to basketball as it is played today.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a a fan of the game itself. I'll watch just about any game that's on. I see a lot of good games on during the regular season and conference. However a lot of teams don't schedule the marquee non conference match ups. Kentucky, Louisville and Indiana should play each other every year. No excuse for not playing those games. I agree scoring is down overall but I believe that has to do with scouting reports. Great defenses and a lack of offensive skills. Lots of young players come in and aren't polished on the offensive end. It takes time to develop offense. Defense on the other hand is much easier to figure out. That has a lot to do with the one and done deal. I don't see a upward trend in college ball until there is a change with the rules. Imo college ball thrives off the post season. All the big games, top teams being upset. The tournament's are by far the most exciting thing to watch. For those people who think Kentucky will walk through the tourney I've got news for you. Its March and every team is playing to stay alive. Nothing will come easy as you will get everyone's best shot. It only takes 1 bad night.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree with you. I think there are 4 or 5 teams that could give Kentucky all they can handle if they don't come to play. On the other hand, we could see Kentucky basketball played that we have not seem before in the history of the program. I hope the later is true.

Post Thanks / Like
    I touched on this a month ago with a post about how boring UK games are to me. I'm a fan of competition and watching a blowout isn't fun to me. I know to many diehard fans it is but not me. I understand you guys are talking about college basketball in general but I just don't watch enough of it anymore.

Rivalry week in college sports are my favorite games. The in state rivalry games are great as well. I mean in football who doesnt watch Auburn/Alabama!?!?!? Anyway, the game has to evolve because the kids are bigger faster and more physically mature all the time. To be honest I haven't watched enough games to see a lower attendance.

Post Thanks / Like
    The dribble drive dish philosophy on offense has made the game less enjoyable for me. I miss motion offense and the lost notion of a true center.

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as Kentucky is undefeated and kicking everybody's asses...college basketball is missing nothing to me. All is right with the world. LMAO

I'll get back to you after the Cats lose next. Hopefully you won't hear from me in awhile.

Post Thanks / Like
    One and dones IMO have ruined the game. I liked the old days when a player stayed until he graduated.

Here's an idea. If a recruited player goes to the pros after only one year, the school loses a scholarship for the following year.
    Likes roadrunner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with tyme

Basket ball at the college level is another name for pro farm teams. Also the moral fibre of the players has gone down also. Its only a matter of time before some school fields a whole watusi tribe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fish View Post
    One and dones IMO have ruined the game. I liked the old days when a player stayed until he graduated.

Here's an idea. If a recruited player goes to the pros after only one year, the school loses a scholarship for the following year.
    I don't think you should punish the schools for something that is out of their control. The kids leave college for the NBA to make the money while they can and I don't blame them. They know they can go back to school and get their degree after their NBA career is over and some of them do that very thing. Or at least the smart ones do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bobby Knight roasted the great one recently and I happen to agree with him as well. Coaches do what ever they want and when the Poo hits the fan they bolt and do it somewhere else.

Clean up the game make everybody play by the same rules and if you are going to have an NBA farm club start playing the players out in the open instead of behind closed doors.

College ball isn't college ball anymore and never will be again and yes the one and done's have helped destroy the game.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Meant to type paying the players not playing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    I don't think you should punish the schools for something that is out of their control. The kids leave college for the NBA to make the money while they can and I don't blame them. They know they can go back to school and get their degree after their NBA career is over and some of them do that very thing. Or at least the smart ones do.
    I respectfully disagree that it's out of the school's control. The coach and his/her recruiters know very well which super star recruit is going to be a one and done. The coach is employed by the school,therefore it IS under control of the school.
    Likes mhall, GeoFisher liked this post