Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Reelfoot Lake, Is it dead?

I first fished Reelfoot over 20 years ago and have had some very memorable trips. Having recently retired, I now have time to go when the weather and mood hits rather than pre-schedule a weekend months ahead. The past 5 years I have not been back for the crappie run but I also notice it seems the popularity has dropped off and almost zero mention on here. Even the resorts have dropped ads at the local Boat Show in St Louis, Mo ......only the best and biggest places still attend and advertise. Granted, the economy has hurt all the tourism vendors but it seems Reelfoot has been hit especially hard. I just wonder if it is just the economics or has the lake dropped in overall quality of catch? Any opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

April Trip pending...

Recent boat maintenance completed, equipment 99% ready...a trip to Reelfoot is imminent. Most of the lodging locations don't require reservations that I contacted. Having the luxury to leave on a moments notice, it is my intention to carefully watch the weather forecasts for an optimal 3 day window for this trip. I fish in a 1648 Alweld with 40hp jetdrive and have a spider rig on the bow with 8 rod holders and we usually drift/troll with the wind. I will post the results of the trip as soon as we return. Any recent reports from others would be appreciated too.
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Results...4/23

OK, the weather didn't cooperate....wind and waves, then colder nights dropped lake temps from near 60 to 55 by Tuesday 4/21. The fish moved back to deeper water and lockjaw set in, no daily limits being filled. The guides were only boating 3-5 fish a day. Our fish were all 13" or better but our 3 day total of 14 was not impressive. Lake level was 12" above full pool and navigation with my jet was no problem. Nice catfish stringers were coming in off yo-yo's along the ditches and a few white bass and largemouth also being caught sporadically. VERY few anglers...I have never been on the water and seen less numbers of boats, even locals are shocked at lack of tourist fishermen. Stop at Bo's Landing for licenses and latest GOOD info, they don't deal in BS. AVOID Reelfoot Lake Inn for lodging if you value your possessions....I hope that is self explanatory. I will have to think long and hard before making plans for another trip. I rate this trip a 3 and only because the food at 4 places was so good.