Search Fishin.com

Thread: New Member

Post Thanks / Like

I love to fish, but never learned the ins and outs about baits, lures, jigs, poles etc.... My problem is that i dont know where to start. A good pole and reel for crappie, whats some of the must have baits to keep in ur tackle box. I fish a lot at cave run lake and still learning about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on how you like to fish, what your budget is, and what equipment you may already have on hand.

There are quite a few different methods, but they generally break down to 3 divisions --- casting ... trolling ... tightline.

Casting requires spincast or spinning rod/reel & various sizes of jigheads, plastic bodies, or hair/feather pre-tied jigs.

Trolling requires at least the same equipment as casting, plus rod holder systems.

Tightline you can get away with most any lite to med/lite rod & reel outfit, hooks/sinkers, minnows.

Those are the "rock bottom" basics, IMHO ... and if I took the time to expand on each of those, or specified all the different methods individually, I'd have to write a book or two ... .LOL !!!!

... pappy
    Likes Tyme2fish liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Pappi, thank you for taking the time to give me some feedback, its greatly appreciated! I do have some jigs, rooster tails, plastic worms and spinner baits. I also never know what weight to apply to my line or when i should have weight. When i cast, i never know how deep i am going. Its the little things that i dont know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Thanks from me too.
    Likes mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the site crappie....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you sir, its an honor to be a member!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappie1971 View Post
    Pappi, thank you for taking the time to give me some feedback, its greatly appreciated! I do have some jigs, rooster tails, plastic worms and spinner baits. I also never know what weight to apply to my line or when i should have weight. When i cast, i never know how deep i am going. Its the little things that i dont know.
    If you have a rod/reel that will cast a Rooster Tail .... something like a 6-7' spinning outfit & 6lb line ... then you're good to go for casting small jigs & the RT's. I generally use 1/16oz jig heads with 1.5" - 2" plastic bodies for casting purposes, and the 1/16oz marabou Roadrunners.
    While Crappie will at times hit Bass size baits, like 1/2oz Spinnerbaits or 4" craws & even some crankbaits, chances are that you will catch a lot more Crappie by using the small stuff ..... 1/16 - 1/8oz jigs, 1/16oz Roadrunners, Rooster Tails, and of course the old standby of a hook/sinker/float/minnow setup (and the float is optional).

The only time I add a weight to my line, when casting jigs, is when I'm fishing deeper than 20ft or the wind is blowing my line so bad that my jig isn't sinking. (or when I'm using a plain hook with a minnow on it & drifting around cover)

When I'm casting ... I'm using a 1/16oz weedless jig head & a plastic body (tube, stinger shad, or minnow shaped body) .... 6lb test mono ... on a 6'6" spinning outfit. I'm not trying to "feel" a bite, as much as I'm looking to "see" the bite. I'm a line watcher, and I use hi-vis line so that I can see any movement in the line. Any little jump or twitch in the line and I set the hook. If I know for sure that my jig is not on the bottom, and my line all of a sudden goes slack ... I set the hook. I cast out and sloooowwwlly reel the jig back in ... holding the rod tip at about a 45deg angle ... and my attention is on the line, just above where it comes out of the water. All I want to see (or feel) is one single little "tic" in the line !! Most of the time that's all a Crappie will do ... just make the line jump ONCE (as they **** the jig into their mouth). The "sudden slack line" bite occurs when the fish keeps moving forward a little, after inhaling the bait.

Crappie don't tend to chase a bait, so slow presentations are usually the smart choice. They also tend to "look up" to feed, so you want to keep your bait about a foot or so above the depth they're holding. Catching Crappie isn't usually the hard part of Crappie fishing .... it's FINDING them that can be a challenge. But, for the most part, they're going to be around some type of wood cover like a standing tree - blowdown tree - brush pile - stakebed - etc.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats some awsome information! I need all the help and words of wisdom i can get from fellow anglers.

crappie

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is some info just posted by a guide Gus Gustafson
    Might be of some help.

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/conten...tching-Crappie