Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Benji Kinman lake

Anyone got any info on this little gem? Wanting to go Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Went 2 weeks ago. Water was 48 early and up to 52 in the afternoon. Water color was stained with about a 6 to 8" visibility. Caught a 4.9 lber on the first spot we stopped on, it was caught on a tube. Fished 6 hours without another bite. We spoke to a few other fisherman and no one else had a bite. I guess we got lucky. Saw a few crappie fishermen dragging spider rigs and they were catching a few. I would suspect it would get better as the water clears up. Friday and Saturdays cool nights may effect the bite.

If you have not been this year KDFWR has put out buoys around the perimeter of the eagle nest across from the launch. Make sure you stay outside of the buoys. It says its a federal offence to harass a nesting bald eagle.

Good luck
    Charlie

Post Thanks / Like
    556 thousand fisherman daily.........lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there really that many that go there? I mean not literally but is it pressured that bad? I was there for the first time late fall last year and we were the only boat there. That was the first and only time I've been there. It's a great lake with a lot of cover and clear water and I heard there are some monsters in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been there 4 times now since last fall. Each time myself or whoever was with me has caught a 4 pound plus fish. I think even before it was aired on Kentucky Afield it was getting hit pretty hard by some locals. Even though its catch and release on largemouth, I believe good fish were being taken from their. Not sure if its still happening or not.

A little I have learned about the lake:
    90% of the structure is within 20 yards of the shore
    Maximum depth is 19'
    I cannot find a creek channel
    The middle of the lake has no contours, its pretty much flat all the way across.
    Likes mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter82 View Post
    Is there really that many that go there? I mean not literally but is it pressured that bad? I was there for the first time late fall last year and we were the only boat there. That was the first and only time I've been there. It's a great lake with a lot of cover and clear water and I heard there are some monsters in there.
    I was being a bit of a smart ass I do that sometimes but to answer your question is yes it gets absolutely HAMMERED. Last year there were days I just turned around and went home. They were taking Bass out of that lake last year like it was a free for all and the lake is catch and release on bass.

Keep going you'll experience what I'm talking about. It is a beautiful little place and has great fish in it....for now....Sigh....

Post Thanks / Like

Heavy Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    I was being a bit of a smart ass I do that sometimes but to answer your question is yes it gets absolutely HAMMERED. Last year there were days I just turned around and went home. They were taking Bass out of that lake last year like it was a free for all and the lake is catch and release on bass.

Keep going you'll experience what I'm talking about. It is a beautiful little place and has great fish in it....for now....Sigh....
    Agreed. Great looking lake but heavily pressured. Went this past Wednesday and did poorly. Most boats we talked to said the same. Crappie were out in the middle that day. I think it's days as a good fishery are significantly numbered.
    Likes mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. Sad to see the abuse on such a Jem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter82 View Post
    Thanks everyone. Sad to see the abuse on such a Jem.
    What do most of the fisherman fish out of? I had heard its a no motor lake. Do they all use kayaks/canoes, or do some put in their boats and pull their outboards up and troll(if that is even allowed)?

Post Thanks / Like

All manners of watercraft

I fished out of a kayak the day I was there. Saw everything from that to a johnboat being paddled with a kayak paddle, to small bass boats with trolling motors, and the little plastic two-man boats with trolling motors. No 'large' boats were there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bigger boats aren't out of the question. We've been there in a 21' bass boat and there were other bass boats there too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    Bigger boats aren't out of the question. We've been there in a 21' bass boat and there were other bass boats there too.
    I thought it was a trolling motor only lake, and boats with outboard motors were not allowed. Anyone know what the rules are?