Search Fishin.com

Thread: Cave Run Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Cave Run Lake

Been fishing for a while, but still consider myself a beginner. Learned what i do know on my own, never had anyone show me the ropes or the do's and dont's. New to the area and still trying to learn the layout of caverun. I am 44 and a veteran, at the point in my life where i able to start enjoying the fishing life.

Post Thanks / Like
    The best advice I can give you on cave run would be, if you go up the licking river go nice and slow until you learn it. They don't have it marked and you can do some damage going up through there. Beaver creek is marked with buoys but don't get to close to the edge I've found a few lone stumps above leatherwood. If you want to go on a weekend you are going to have to go up the river channels to get away from the pleasure boaters. I started fishing cave run last year and I'm still learning, but that's the first thing I found out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate that! i normally put my boat in at Scotts Creek, is it far from there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappie1971 View Post
    I appreciate that! i normally put my boat in at Scotts Creek, is it far from there?
    If you're talking about putting in at the Scotts Creek Marina ramp ... then the "river" that Firefighter215 is talking about is on the other end of the lake.

Here's a link to a site that may help : https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...8.kU0TKdYXs1RY

If you've got GPS capabilities ... click on the picture icons on this map & it will give you the GPS coordinates to each of these fish attractor drops. It also expands (zooms) down and you can click on the "satellite" picture box at the bottom left of the screen and change the map from a blue colored outline map to a "Google map" type of picture. If you don't have GPS capability, you can zoom in on these creeks, pockets, and fish attractor locations and get a good idea of where they're located.

And of course, like anything else on the web .... everybody & his brother knows about it, so don't be surprised if these places are already occupied when you get there. No biggie, though ... as there are usually plenty of other spots to try, close by.

Cave Run usually warms slower than most of the central and southern lakes in the state, so the Crappie may still be coming shallow well into May. When I fished it for Crappie, I rarely went before the third weekend of April.

There's also something else you should be aware of ..... Crappie USA is holding a tournament on Cave Run on May 2nd. Might be worth the trip over there, then ... if to do nothing more than check out the boats & equipment these tourney anglers use. But, I've got a hunch that the majority of them will have rod holder systems, double front seat setups, high end electronics, and a bunch of reeealllly long rods (12-20ft long). Spider Rigging style of fishing is really big in Crappie tournament fishing.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Pappi, good info! Thank you sir

Post Thanks / Like
    One option would be to do a spread around the fish attractors close to the channel. There are plenty of websites that show the channel and the fish attractors. Get the GPS coordinates of the attractors and prioritize them.

- Cave Run Fish Attractor Map

Happy fishing and stay safe!