Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wolf creek dam "Cumberland river"

It has been a long time since I fished down there. I want to make a return trip. I have a few questions. When I was down there the river was low from the lake being dropped. Still low or it's it returned to normal levels. Safe to use fiberglass boats? Also looking at the TVA site what are safe generation levels? I see the hourly and how generators? Anything will help! Thanks Ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfresearcher View Post
    It has been a long time since I fished down there. I want to make a return trip. I have a few questions. When I was down there the river was low from the lake being dropped. Still low or it's it returned to normal levels. Safe to use fiberglass boats? Also looking at the TVA site what are safe generation levels? I see the hourly and how generators? Anything will help! Thanks Ronnie
    Cumberland is no place for a fiberglass boat, unless you are only going to fish the area below the dam. Further down river, minimum of a jon boat, preference for a tunnel hull or jet boat. River level/flow is totaly dependent upon discharge from Wolf Creek dam. Reference your comment about TVA site. Given that, the Cumberland can eat your lunch. If you have been there at low levels, then you have seen the 100 year old log jams, freight train size bolders which can just as easly be underwater wating for a boat. Gravel bars that love to whak a prop or take off a lower unit. Worst case is when current flow is high and one snags a log or bolder, current spins the boat, turns it sidways and dumps contents into the river. Water is ALWAYS cold and hypothermia is alwas a concern. If you want to fish the Cumberland, best to start with a fellow fisherman who knows the river. Be safe and good fishing to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now the TVA is running 29000 cfs 24/7 and the water level at the dam is 24 ft deep. I would recommend an aluminum boat but you can fish a fiberglass boat at the dam right now. Most people motor up to the dam and then drift back to the ramp and do it all over again all day. A safe level to float the river would probably be around 7000 to 10000 cfs but not in a fiberglass boat.

The TVA is running all generators and sluice gates until the lake level drops from all the snow and rain.

Hope this helps. This year should be a great time on the river.

Post Thanks / Like
    They turned the sluice gates off yesterday and it is a lot calmer at the dam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyLie View Post
    Cumberland is no place for a fiberglass boat, unless you are only going to fish the area below the dam. Further down river, minimum of a jon boat, preference for a tunnel hull or jet boat. River level/flow is totaly dependent upon discharge from Wolf Creek dam. Reference your comment about TVA site. Given that, the Cumberland can eat your lunch. If you have been there at low levels, then you have seen the 100 year old log jams, freight train size bolders which can just as easly be underwater wating for a boat. Gravel bars that love to whak a prop or take off a lower unit. Worst case is when current flow is high and one snags a log or bolder, current spins the boat, turns it sidways and dumps contents into the river. Water is ALWAYS cold and hypothermia is alwas a concern. If you want to fish the Cumberland, best to start with a fellow fisherman who knows the river. Be safe and good fishing to you.
    Just saying: http://www.tva.gov/lakes/wch_r.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago I fished with a guy named Lance that I meet here. Lost his contacts though. We fished for trout by Helms and had a blast. I have a hydro sport center console but I am looking to but a flat bottom for trips down there. I knew there were some issues of vandalism at Helms years ago! Is that still a issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago I fished with a guy named Lance that I meet here. Lost his contacts though. We fished for trout by Helms and had a blast. I have a hydro sport center console but I am looking to but a flat bottom for trips down there. I knew there were some issues of vandalism at Helms years ago! Is that still a issue?

Can't trust those Wormers...