Search Fishin.com

Thread: Young fisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Young fisherman

Had a question posed to me today by a coworker who knows I fish a lot. She has a friend who's son (7years old) is really into fishing. She asked me what the best place to take him or website the parents can check out to get them started. I really didn't know the best answer for such a youngster. The father isn't interested at all but the boy is all about it.
    Any help would be appreciated. I'll be giving him some tackle (plastics, sinker and hooks) if the parents are cool with it plus some ideas on getting some floats and small hooks for panfish but bass fishing is what he likes.
    Likes outdoorsman_33 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Had a question posed to me today by a coworker who knows I fish a lot. She has a friend who's son (7years old) is really into fishing. She asked me what the best place to take him or website the parents can check out to get them started. I really didn't know the best answer for such a youngster. The father isn't interested at all but the boy is all about it.
    Any help would be appreciated. I'll be giving him some tackle (plastics, sinker and hooks) if the parents are cool with it plus some ideas on getting some floats and small hooks for panfish but bass fishing is what he likes.
    If he is close to Frankfort what about the fishing lake at Salato Center?

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate this question, as i started fishing when I was 7 and also had a dad that wanted nothing to do with fishing. For me I read every fishing magazine and book that I could get my hands on. This actually encouraged me to read and my parents supported that. So my parents bought me any magazine or book that related to fishing. This may be a place to start. Second was that I found one adult that was willing to take me (my mom). My mom is the most patient person that I know. She knew nothing about fishing but was willing to sit with me. I taught myself after walking and talking to others on the bank. A year after fishing I got into Bass fishing. I bought myself a baitcaster and started practicing in my yard. I then went and fished with top water and plastic worms all day- often times getting skunked. I made the commitment one day that no matter what I was going to fish with a rubber worm. That day I caught my largest fish at the time- a 1lb largemouth . I was so excited. The lake size limit was 15 inches, but I didn't care-that fish was coming home to show off. When I was 12 my parents allowed me to enter a bass fishing club. The club allowed me to fish with them. They were great. They taught me so much including morals and ethics concerning the outdoors. The first time fishing with them I beat my personal best by catching two, 2.5lb largemouth. I actually qualified for state my first year but was too young to fish it.

DJD-IF you are willing, you could be this mentor that the club offered me when I was a little older. We need more people to take kids outdoors. Can you post where the kid lives. Maybe somepeople can offer good starting spots to fish from the bank for the kid.
    Last edited by outdoorsman_33; 04-08-2015 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    I started fishing with my grandpa when I was probably 3 years old. Not saying I was fishing at that age but I sure was excited to be out there watching him catch them and getting to touch them. Some of my earliest memories actually are of fishing at an old nursery and catching a giant snapping turtle! Just from the countless times my grandpa took me fishing, and showing me how to catch different species gave am a great starting point. From there I branched off on my own to start bass fishing, probably when I was about 8. I would say the best thing to do is not only spend time on the water but don't be afraid to ask questions to people fishing around you. And I have to say YouTube is my best friend on a rainy day, or at night. I'll sit there for hours watching short videos on tips and tricks, and those are really what got me to where I am today. I'm not sure if his parents want him on there alone, but it's a great way to learn. Also magazines as well. I think understanding the way a bass thinks and lives is a big part of learning bass fishing. But good luck to him! Drew

Post Thanks / Like
    Idea

How about we start a new forum and call it something like "young fisherman starting out"

We could answer his questions and other youngsters could benefit from it to.

I do get related emails on this topic from time to time mostly from single moms or people that fished with their dad who is now gone. It's one thing to go fishing with somebody else that knows what they are doing and helps you. It's another thing to come up with a strategy and plan.
    Likes Drew1233, SLP, GeoFisher, fishhound, DJD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you post where the kid lives. Maybe somepeople can offer good starting spots to fish from the bank for the kid.
    Great sentiment, it truly is. Sadly I would just caution that in todays day and age people be very caution about how much information they post on a public message board regarding seven year olds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, first tell him bass fishing is overrated. There really is nothing cool about catch and release. Fish to eat, not for sport. Then when he doesn't listen to you, teach him how to bass fish. Maybe he'll make it, burn out, remember your advice, and call you up to go walleye fishing in Canada.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman_33 View Post
    I appreciate this question, as i started fishing when I was 7 and also had a dad that wanted nothing to do with fishing. For me I read every fishing magazine and book that I could get my hands on. This actually encouraged me to read and my parents supported that. So my parents bought me any magazine or book that related to fishing. This may be a place to start. Second was that I found one adult that was willing to take me (my mom). My mom is the most patient person that I know. She knew nothing about fishing but was willing to sit with me. I taught myself after walking and talking to others on the bank. A year after fishing I got into Bass fishing. I bought myself a baitcaster and started practicing in my yard. I then went and fished with top water and plastic worms all day- often times getting skunked. I made the commitment one day that no matter what I was going to fish with a rubber worm. That day I caught my largest fish at the time- a 1lb largemouth . I was so excited. The lake size limit was 15 inches, but I didn't care-that fish was coming home to show off. When I was 12 my parents allowed me to enter a bass fishing club. The club allowed me to fish with them. They were great. They taught me so much including morals and ethics concerning the outdoors. The first time fishing with them I beat my personal best by catching two, 2.5lb largemouth. I actually qualified for state my first year but was too young to fish it.

DJD-IF you are willing, you could be this mentor that the club offered me when I was a little older. We need more people to take kids outdoors. Can you post where the kid lives. Maybe somepeople can offer good starting spots to fish from the bank for the kid.
    AWESOME..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Idea

How about we start a new forum and call it something like "young fisherman starting out"

I do get related emails on this topic from time to time mostly from single moms or people that fished with their dad who is now gone. It's one thing to go fishing with somebody else that knows what they are doing and helps you. It's another thing to come up with a strategy and plan.
    Dude.....I Love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Teaching a kid to fish is like leaving crumbs for life's problems so they alway have a path to come back to. I was lucky and fished with my Dad, mom, grandpas, uncles as a kid. All my best friends fished. They took me from catching bullhead cats in a creek to big bull bluegill at Patoka lake to catching sheepshead, grouper and sometimes a small shark in the gulf. As a teen i did what teens do. Wanna be cool kid with that 2 seat sports car, drinking , partying , chasing girls but i always came back to my first love. Fishing! Always!

I would tell her to try some small lakes. Grab a chair some worms and a float and fish for whatever the heck bites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Idea

That would be great, from someone who lost their father at a young age, I wish the internet was as accessible as it is now. Luckily I had a family friend that liked to fish so I still got to go. I truly think if there was more opportunity, to ask questions or pick someones brain that has been fishing for a while. I know when I was younger I would have to love to find some place like fishin.com or bbcboards.net just to pass the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have asked a few of the questions that was mentioned on here and will see what she says. Like many on here I started fishing at a young age. I started my older daughter out at a young age and will be doing the same with my younger daughter.

Peter I like the idea of getting info to women and kids who need basic info of fishing. Local lakes and tackle shops would help someone starting out. Yeah Walmart sells the kind of starter tackle packs but I beleive they will not give a new fisherman the attention that a local shop would.

Many men women and children don't fish but if they new how easy and enjoyable it is for them and the kids they would jump in once they had some guidance.

When I first started my oldest out fishing for bream at a local public park she was one of the only kids fishing. The other kids would come up and watch or play with the worms but few ever fished. She would hold the bream she caught and show the kids who thought it was cool and gross...hahaha that's some of the good stuff parents don't forget.