Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a 788 that I had issue with. Did the updates, still no dice. $227 bucks later it will turn on at least, still haven't got it out on the lake to really test it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    I've got a 788 that I had issue with. Did the updates, still no dice. $227 bucks later it will turn on at least, still haven't got it out on the lake to really test it.

Yeah, if an update doesn't fix it, I don't know that I'll send it to Humminbird for repairs. I've also had an issue of the 3 shortcut buttons at the bottom being periodically erased. So it may be time to start researching Lowrance and Ray Marine anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    Oh MAN.....that stinks.

One thing that I noticed is my 788 getting squiggly lines when I start my motor. These newer motors take a GIGANTIC amount of juice to start them, and I wonder if the voltage drop is enough to damage the units.

I've been shutting mine down before I crank up.........

I'm seriously thinking about putting a small 12v motorcycle battery under my console and using that to run BOTH of my finders. I get crazy amounts of noise still, and have never been able to eliminate it completely.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by voeller101 View Post
    Yeah, if an update doesn't fix it, I don't know that I'll send it to Humminbird for repairs. I've also had an issue of the 3 shortcut buttons at the bottom being periodically erased. So it may be time to start researching Lowrance and Ray Marine anyway.
    Dude that definitely sounds like a juice issue..........

Post Thanks / Like

humminbird problems

Quote Originally Posted by voeller101 View Post
    I have a Humminbird 998 CSI unit on my console. While we were on Lake Guntersville last week, the depth finder didn't work for pretty much the entire trip. It was stuck on 3.4 ft no matter where we were. I called Humminbird tech support and they said to take the maximum depth off of automatic and set it for 10 feet more than the maximum depth. So we set it for 40 feet. It didn't help. Got back home and went to a local lake yesterday and it worked fine. Any suggestions?
    Had similar issue with 899 at Gville except mine was reading 10-12 ft deeper than actually was, (only happened when in 6' or less and did not happen all the time). This might be why yours worked once you got back home, assuming you were in deeper water. Fortunately for me mine was under warranty, sent to hummingbird they said transducer went bad and they replaced it for me. They also did the software upgrade. Customer service is great even though it might be expensive. I don't know how long you've had your unit, but if you sign up as a "select member" they automatically double your warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Oh MAN.....that stinks.

One thing that I noticed is my 788 getting squiggly lines when I start my motor. These newer motors take a GIGANTIC amount of juice to start them, and I wonder if the voltage drop is enough to damage the units.

I've been shutting mine down before I crank up.........

I'm seriously thinking about putting a small 12v motorcycle battery under my console and using that to run BOTH of my finders. I get crazy amounts of noise still, and have never been able to eliminate it completely.

Later,

Geo
    Have you tried turning your sonar off at the console while youre on the trolling motor and vice versa? That cleared up a ton of the static i was getting

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Have you tried turning your sonar off at the console while youre on the trolling motor and vice versa? That cleared up a ton of the static i was getting
    HM............I have not. I will try that.....

Thanks,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Dude that definitely sounds like a juice issue..........
    Yeah, I was afraid the issue with the presets was an electrical issue. I didn't connect the depth reading issue with an electrical problem but they could all be related.

Post Thanks / Like
    Along with what hummingbird told you try the below. When it happens turn on the surface clarity and interference filter to max for thirty seconds or so. Then turn those filters off. See if the problem clears up. Your filters may be called something different. Surface clarity gets rid of clutter readings near the surface. Interference filter gets rid of noise from electrical systems. I'm not familiar hummingbird but that fixes a similar problem on mine.