Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asian carp

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Asian carp

If you guys have not yet seen the videos in the dock talk section of Bass Fan about asain carp you need to watch it, two part. Looks like the future of fishing as we know it is in real trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Asian carp

It isn't a matter of "IF" this will happen but "WHEN". This may be catastrophic for the fishing industry in the Great Lakes as we know it today. And then there's the Gulf. Holy $%&#

Post Thanks / Like

I fish some in the lower pool, deer creek, cloverport and they are in all the creeks in that area, have heard they are around the louisville area also.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow those videos brings out just how bad it is going to get if there is not some drastic steps taken. My younger brothers works on a barge boat out of Cape gerado, he was telling me about these fish for several years. To be honest I kinda blew it off, but he a photos and they were from the illinios river. He is a pilot, and been working the mississippi the ohio, and the illinois river. and he told me how each year they went farther north. It seems we might have gotten a little too green, the carp were to control alge in ponds and they said it was the best solution becuase they were not using chemicals. Then "BANG!" the fish bomb exploads. Now in the south ferral hogs have been a health and safty issue for a while and now the herds cover from florida, to southern Californa. A few game clubs brought in russian boars for pay to kill resorts, they bread with the domestic hogs and we have the pig bomb but unlike the fish the hogs come after you. Like the man said if can go wrong it will go wrong!

Post Thanks / Like

Did you see where Tim Farmer was shooting them with a bow and fried them up? He smoked some as well. They said it's as good as crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

tim farmer did a segment on kentucky afield where he arrowed a few and did some recipes of fried and smoked big head asian carp. he and his crew taste tested them and said they were every bit as good as crappie or bluegill and were a white flaky meat. tell every red neck this and say there is no limit, start a pro tournament trail and they will be wiped out in a decade, go to kentucky afield web site it was a good segment on how to clean them etc. i am going to fill my freezer with them and eat the hell out of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barkleyhawggitter View Post
    tim farmer did a segment on kentucky afield where he arrowed a few and did some recipes of fried and smoked big head asian carp. he and his crew taste tested them and said they were every bit as good as crappie or bluegill and were a white flaky meat. tell every red neck this and say there is no limit, start a pro tournament trail and they will be wiped out in a decade, go to kentucky afield web site it was a good segment on how to clean them etc. i am going to fill my freezer with them and eat the hell out of them.
    Go for it! And those that you don't keep, kill them and let them be turtle food.

Somebody posted a while back about being told they weren't allowed to bow fish for them in Indiana or something (sorry I don't remember the particulars). That's just ridiculous to not allow that. I say if people want to bowfish for them, let them do it any time, anywhere, with no limits whatsoever, as long as they're not endangering anyone else. We need to get rid of these invasive pests any way we can. Although it may already be too late...

Post Thanks / Like

I have always wondered why they don't just run a boat shocker and net as many fish as possible to lower the population. I know the numbers and sizes of these fish are outrageous but they could have a couple of barges follow the shocking boat and just fill them up. Maybe they could even take all the meat and use it in soup kitchens or frozen and sent to third world countries. I'm sure this method wouldn't solve the problem but it could alleviate a little of the problems cause by these invaders.
    I can't believe that in some areas it is illegal to bowfish for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets all get a big pontoon and a few shotguns and use them for target practice, collect some of the dead and use them as cutbait for big cats. The other 1000 dead can become turtle food.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sglass View Post
    Lets all get a big pontoon and a few shotguns and use them for target practice, collect some of the dead and use them as cutbait for big cats. The other 1000 dead can become turtle food.
    I like it. In support, and for the next White House Costume party, I mailed the pres an Asian Carp outfit.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Banjodale View Post
    I have always wondered why they don't just run a boat shocker and net as many fish as possible to lower the population. I know the numbers and sizes of these fish are outrageous but they could have a couple of barges follow the shocking boat and just fill them up. Maybe they could even take all the meat and use it in soup kitchens or frozen and sent to third world countries. I'm sure this method wouldn't solve the problem but it could alleviate a little of the problems cause by these invaders.
    I can't believe that in some areas it is illegal to bowfish for them.
    That sounds like a great idea.....I wonder how much of the meat would show up at Walmart as "imitation cod".

Ever wonder what the heck goes in "imitation crab meat'?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Ever wonder what the heck goes in "imitation crab meat'?
    Here ya go, Bob ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imitation_crab

... pappy