Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asian Carp

Post Thanks / Like

Asian Carp

I read in the paper today that the Asian Carp are headed to the mighty Ohio, They are saying that they will choke out the native fish in this area, killing off the bass

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Asian Carp

They're already in the Smithland Pool by Paducah. I fished the Plapp's Classic there 2 or 3yrs ago and had 2 of those nasty things jump in the boat and leave some gnarley slim on the carpet. Talk about scaring the crap out of you... Only a matter of time before the get here...

Post Thanks / Like

They are already in Brandenburg. We bowfished big heads last year in large pods.

Post Thanks / Like

They have been at the Mcalpine for several years now.I'm quite sure they are allready further up the Ohio and possibly as far as Pitt.

Post Thanks / Like

I had some jump behind the boat in november at the sand pits by westport.

Post Thanks / Like

This is an example of no government regulation!Now that its close to becoming a disaster for many freshwater fishermen, only the government can become part of the solution, I hate that it sounds that way, but unfortunately its true. these were imported to clean up catfish farm ponds, little thought was given to what would happen if they got loose, They did! Before I retired one of the places we l;ooked to move to was Ottawa Il, on the Illinois river, the fishing was improving, and walleye and sauger were plentiful, along with white bass. Good thing we didn't there. Its completly ruined, its dangererous to go boating, and the fishing is almost gone due to the big head carp. BUT they are a good food source, but a lot of government money would be needed to market them around the world.heres the rub, we as tax payers are against government bail outs, but some of like to fish, these things are not controlled easily, and they WILL take over many of our waterways.So what do we do? I'm not going to be around too many yeasr from now but some of you guys will be, think about it. We let other governmaents subsidize imports of food to this country, but we wont do that, its against free enterprize.Quite a quandry ahead for some of you. invasive species are not a hoax.

Post Thanks / Like

Man have I been living in the dark. Thought this was isolated to a few locations, i.e. northern rivers, etc. If they are in the OHIO and spreading, then...what/where next!

Don't want to jump the gun, but where are we as far as Local and State Fish & Wildlife programs addressing this invasive issue? Where can I find "factural informaton" and to who/whom, etc should I address my concerns? More importantly, what can be done?

Post Thanks / Like

Short of a total fish kill Boone I dont know of anything we can do. Tim Farmer is promoting how good they are to eat so that means the Dept has no idea imo.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate those stinkin' things! This past spring at KY lake one jumped in the boat and hit me in the back of my knee, it was about 4 or 5 pounds, wasn't exactly painful but I definitely felt it. It bounced off me and busted its head on the corner of the battery casing, then I whomped it good threw it back in the drink, ha ha.

Post Thanks / Like

As I understand it the best way to help is to kill those suicidal dive bombers. Don't just put em back in the water. Kill it then put it back. Stab the thing and let it become turtle food. Here's a good way if traveling with a buddy. Might get a couple of odd looks from the summertime pleasure boaters, but the fisherman would retake the lakes again....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEIu4l4mNVQ

Post Thanks / Like

AWesome video. Thats a good way to stay sharp on the reaction shooting with the bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Killinmg em is the answer, but how many can you kill?Its like swatting flys.Right now there is an issue in the supreme court about those fish, dont know exactly whats it about, dont really care, like I said I'm 73 yrs old, what ever the out come I probably wont be around to either benefit or suffer from it. If they get into the great lakes, in a number of years they will wipe out the native fish. Whats to stop them from gaining access to the TN river or the cumberland river? Commercial fishing could control them, but there is no marketing of them. These things jump like a tarpon, get to be good size, they even might have some sporting value.