Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky Lake Asian Carp epidemic !

If this problem isn't aggressively attacked now, in three or four years the population
    will be unstoppable. Almost every bay is FULL of these dudes...thousands. The Illinois river has
    a huge problem with boater injuries ......not to mention the damage to the fishery.

I'm sure there is research on how to keep them from reproducing......we need
    something fast ! When researching the species you find they don't eat shad....
    they supposedly only feed on plankton. I have caught a few (mostly snagged) and
    have caught one in the mouth on a tailspinner that hit the bait. In the bays now
    you will witness what seems to be them feeding in schools of bait.

How do we stop them.........Kryptonite !

Confused on Bowling Green

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm surprised no one posted on this.

I've been down there and Man oh Man.....there are a TON of those Asian carp there now. Someone told me they are not spawning there, but who knows......I'm not a **** fish expert.

I think if we don't get some commercial fisherman and a few close processing plants there SOON, the fishery as we know it may be done in a few short years.

Speaking of Asian Carp.....has anyone caught any fish around them. I know every time I've been in a bay that is loaded with those carp, I don't catch a dang thing.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

asians

I am pretty sure they are not feeding on shad but rather feeding with the shad. When I noticed them late last fall in the bays on KY they were out in the open water in the bays where as the shad were more toward the banks. I think if anything what you are seeing in that scenario is exactly the main threat of the asians (beside being torpedoed in the torso while idling). I believe they are eating on the same plankton blooms that the shad are keying on and as the asians multiply and gooble up their body weight daily in plankton it is going to undercut the bottom of the food chain which is what the bait fish and inmature fish feed on.

As far as the affect on their presence on other game fish I can't be sure of their impact. They are quite large and if numbers of them are in a cove see I could see where smaller game fish may feel a threat and move away from the packs. But on the other hand I have caught fish in coves where the asians are feeding out in the adjacent open water.

They are definitely spawning and multiplying as I am seeing even more on Barkley. What I have found a bit odd is I have not had any jump around my boat on KY yet but I have them jump around my boat quite often on Barkley. Maybe because most I have been around on KY have been in deeper water but there they seem to just splash rather than jump. I haven't gotten any in my bass boat yet (although many near misses) but we did get a very acrobatic fish in the pontoon back in the summer. He cleared the rail before glancing off my father-in-law and plopping down on the deck. Turtle food. One down four hundred million to go...

kc

Post Thanks / Like
    They are spending millions and millions to keep them out of the Great Lakes specifically because they know the Asian Carp will kill the fishery there. Even with electo-fences and such, Asian Carp DNA has been found in Lake Michigan so they're getting through somewhere regardless.

Just an FYI...the population has been out of "human" control for years now and unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it...yet. I like the youtube videos of people boating around and shooting them with bow and arrow as they jump out of the water.

Pretty funny video of a reporter in TN - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suIVzZb9Pzw

Post Thanks / Like
    There really is nothing we can do about these fish. They're going to get into any lake they want and these things are going to really put a hurt to our fishing in a couple years. If your out fishing and catch one be sure not to release it and keep an eye on people surrounding you. I cant tell you how many times iv'e been fishing and saw people catch these carp and want to throw it back not realizing what they've caught and then get frustrated with me when i tell em not to throw em back. Anyway these fish are good for one thing and that's keeping my bow skills sharp during the summer. anybody who hasn't been bow fishing for these carp outta give it a try because believe me its a blast.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are different things in the works on how to control these fish. Most end up harming the native fish anyway. Considering the fish escaped from Mississippi, passed Kentucky, and decided to take of the Illinois river I'm hoping that the conditions in Kentucky are less than ideal for them and will help keep their numbers in check.

The Illinois river around Peoria IL is where the largest concentration of the fish are. Outside of that area the population is greatly reduced. That area must have the right combination of water temperature from the power plants and nutrients for the fish. They have implemented a heavy commercial fishing program in the river and it has helped reduce the numbers some. The huge fish, 10 pounds and greater, are rare to see now. The smaller fish are still there in large numbers though. My brother is a conservation police officer for Illinois and lives right next to the Illinois River upriver from Peoria. I've been on the river several times. Other than doing things that will kill off all the fish in the river I don't know anything reasonable that can be done to completely stop them.

For some reason the carp were dying off in large numbers this summer. All up and down the banks were dead fish. Hopefully a university or government agency is doing research on what killed them off and can use that as a way to target just those species in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adam7456 View Post
    There are different things in the works on how to control these fish. Most end up harming the native fish anyway. Considering the fish escaped from Mississippi, passed Kentucky, and decided to take of the Illinois river I'm hoping that the conditions in Kentucky are less than ideal for them and will help keep their numbers in check.

The Illinois river around Peoria IL is where the largest concentration of the fish are. Outside of that area the population is greatly reduced. That area must have the right combination of water temperature from the power plants and nutrients for the fish. They have implemented a heavy commercial fishing program in the river and it has helped reduce the numbers some. The huge fish, 10 pounds and greater, are rare to see now. The smaller fish are still there in large numbers though. My brother is a conservation police officer for Illinois and lives right next to the Illinois River upriver from Peoria. I've been on the river several times. Other than doing things that will kill off all the fish in the river I don't know anything reasonable that can be done to completely stop them.

For some reason the carp were dying off in large numbers this summer. All up and down the banks were dead fish. Hopefully a university or government agency is doing research on what killed them off and can use that as a way to target just those species in the future.
    Unfortunately, it looks like last summers heat and drought was the major cause of the die offs. I don't think we need to go there again. http://ozarksfirst.com/fulltext?nxd_id=686262

Post Thanks / Like
    They'll hurt the shad population which will hurt the gamefish. Catters I know that travel the country report great difficulty netting shad in areas where the carp have been for a while. Only natural predator are big cats but they're getting commercial fished out. Not all species jump. It's a tragedy for our area.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've researched these fish a lot in preparation for the inevitable occasion when they make their way up the Clinch, Holston, and Powell River into Virginia (so I can catch them). Here's a few things I've picked up...

"Asian" carp.
    This is not the proper name for them. All carp are Asian carp. The fish being referred to in the media as Asian carp are two separate species, the silver carp and the bighead carp. Silver carp are just that, a solid silver. Bigheads look similar, except that they have some brown mottling like a flathead catfish.

Jumping.
    The jumping behavior these fish are famous for is only seen in the Midwest.

Fishing.
    The most reliable method I have run across is a Mister Twister curlytail grub in a lime green color, on a jighead. Several reports on the Roughfish forum confirm this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a market for them? Can they be fished commercially? Catfood etc.?
    Does the Kentucky Dept of Fish and Wildlife promote their extermination?

Sounds like all snagged should be made land food for coons and coyotes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brucehampton View Post
    Is there a market for them? Can they be fished commercially? Catfood etc.?
    Does the Kentucky Dept of Fish and Wildlife promote their extermination?

Sounds like all snagged should be made land food for coons and coyotes.
    http://fw.ky.gov/asiancarpinky.asp

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been on ky lake since sunday have yet to see one And saying they only jump in the midwest is incorrect as we had one jump and land on the side of the boat before falling back in last year. Weve seen a ton of fish laying in the middle of the creek/bay channels on the graph this week and most of the locals and guides seem to think theyre asian carp. A general concesus around the lake seems to be that people are all for commercial fishing them Right now theyre a nuisance but if they take off like they have in other places itll be just a matter of time before theyre a major problem