Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Braid question

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Loosen up the drag !! Then you can set the hook as hard as you want, get the hook in the fish on the initial upswing, and then the drag will compensate for any "extra" energy from your size/strength.

I use to worm fish with 12lb test mono, but after breaking off on several good hooksets I went to 17lb test. I carried over my tendency to "cross their eyes" when I changed over from mostly Bass fishing to Crappie fishing ... using UL to lite rods & 4lb test mono. I had to back off on the drag just a scootch, and still maintain my fast/hard hookset. Worked for me. I now use 6lb test Vicious on most of my Crappie casting rods, but I'm much older now, too, so my hookset isn't what it used to be. LOL !!

... pappy
    That's great advice I will have to try that! I can't believe that never crossed my mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Best advice would be to get rid of the Vicious, its junk. Lots and lots of reviews out there that will back up my statement. I learned the hard way after breaking fish after fish off with it. Try Seaguar. If budget is an issue you can get by with red label but if you want the most managable go with Invizx. Ive broken off less than 5 fish in the last 3-4 years since making the switch and will often anchor the boat when getting hung up. If budget isnt an issue you can bump up to Seaguar Tatsu or some of the Sunline products. I would guess your line is the weak link in your set up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Best advice would be to get rid of the Vicious, its junk. Lots and lots of reviews out there that will back up my statement. I learned the hard way after breaking fish after fish off with it. Try Seaguar. If budget is an issue you can get by with red label but if you want the most managable go with Invizx. Ive broken off less than 5 fish in the last 3-4 years since making the switch and will often anchor the boat when getting hung up. If budget isnt an issue you can bump up to Seaguar Tatsu or some of the Sunline products. I would guess your line is the weak link in your set up
    I've tried invisx and red label with the same luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Good grief. excuses everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by restornator View Post
    Good grief. excuses everywhere.
    How is saying I've used that line and it gave me trouble an excuse?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried upping the line size? I throw jigs and tx rigs on 20lb invizx and you absolutely cant break it.

Post Thanks / Like

breaking line on the hook set

try a double improved clinch knot when tieing on your bait. this is the only knot i use. will not break in the knot. then if the line breaks go up in line size or to a better line. if you dont believe this isnt a better knot . tie one end to a hook and pull on the other end . . ive done this for other people complaining about breaking off on the hook set,and had many converts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
    Well yesterday it was on a 5+. I saw her after I snapped it. She was in a foot of water and shot out like a rocket.
    Have u tried offsetting your hooksett with softer rod. I went to a softer rod for shakey head fishing and had a much better hook up ratio. I have a powerful hooksett also. I couldn't help but try to cross their eyes. So I took the dummy out of the equation. I do a lot of flipping also. My three flipping sticks are telephone poles. I only use big game 20lb. Very tough, but has the stretch to cushion the blow

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with "loosen up the drag"...

If you have a gorilla hookset and you switch to braid, without changing your hoookset, you aren't going to break off...but you're going to tear the bait out of some fish's mouths.

I use Sunline Flouro with Shaw Grigsby knot on everything but Topwater and Spinnerbaits (15# Seaguar Senshi Mono). I'll use 40# PowerPro SuperSlick with frog/heavy cover stuff. Other than that, I'm not a huge braid fan.

Post Thanks / Like

Braid

Never heard of it cutting groves into the eyes of your poles but if you feel like this may be and issue check out power pro super 8 slick they say it's smoother than regular braid.