Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braid question

Post Thanks / Like

Braid question

Alright so I've broke countless fish off on my hook sets over the last few years when flipping cover. I use mono and flourocarbon and have an extremely powerful hook set. I've tried using rods with a softer tip and tried all kinds of different knots with no improvement. I feel my only option for flipping is braid now but I've been told stories where braid has cut grooves in to people's rod eyes and I'm wondering if there's any truth behind that before I ruin a rod.

Post Thanks / Like
    I absolutely love braided line. No stretch. Extremely sensitive. If I could get away with only fishing braided line I would. I would highly recommend braided line for flipping. I use braid for frogs and shallow flipping. 65lb PowerPro can't be beat. You can rip the lips off em...

Post Thanks / Like
    Most types guides will stand up to braid for a very long time without wearing. As odd as it may seem, some of the worst guides for braid that will groove the quickest (even mono and fluoro will groove them) are the guides that have metal inserts rather than another material. I've replaced several of them that were grooved even when they've never been touched by braid.

Chris
    Reel Cleen--Reel & Rod Service
    Newkirk Custom Rods

Post Thanks / Like
    Braid is probably fine in extremely heavy cover or dirty water but I wouldn't want to use it in moderate cover with clearer water. If you're breaking off that many fish on the hookset, maybe you should try to just tone down your hookset.
    Likes Firefighter215 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I only flip spring and fall when the lakes are usually stained to some point. And I've tried a million times to tone my hook set down but I started tournament fishing at a early age and in order to hook the fish I had to throw every ounce of my weight in to it and now weighing in at 250 it has carried over and as much as I try I can't tone it down.

Post Thanks / Like

breaking line on the hook set

what type of knot are u using? action of the rod? what pound test of line? if you are not braking the rod on the hook set , one of the above should rectify the problem. better knot, lighter action rod , or heavier line.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using 15 pound vicious fishing flouro at this moment and I've used the palomar knot and a knot that shaw grigsby claimed to be the strongest flouro knot he's ever used. I've also had terrible luck with seaguar invisx and red label and Barkley vanish. I use a 7' med heavy falcon with at soft tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe its a snapping turtle or a toothy creature your setting your hook into.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heavier line 17-20lb & a Medium heavy, moderate or moderate fast rod should make a big difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter215 View Post
    Maybe its a snapping turtle or a toothy creature your setting your hook into.
    Well yesterday it was on a 5+. I saw her after I snapped it. She was in a foot of water and shot out like a rocket.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tell ya what Ill go with you and when you feel one take the bait Ill set the hook and catch it. Lol Im 6'5" and great big, use bigger fellas have to know our strength sometimes. Hope ya figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation My suggestion would be to .....

Loosen up the drag !! Then you can set the hook as hard as you want, get the hook in the fish on the initial upswing, and then the drag will compensate for any "extra" energy from your size/strength.

I use to worm fish with 12lb test mono, but after breaking off on several good hooksets I went to 17lb test. I carried over my tendency to "cross their eyes" when I changed over from mostly Bass fishing to Crappie fishing ... using UL to lite rods & 4lb test mono. I had to back off on the drag just a scootch, and still maintain my fast/hard hookset. Worked for me. I now use 6lb test Vicious on most of my Crappie casting rods, but I'm much older now, too, so my hookset isn't what it used to be. LOL !!

... pappy