Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Money has ruined bass fishing...like it ruins most things in life.
    Likes timmbur22 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just start fishing tx's and you'll understand. Hahaha. Seriously not everyone is like that. I will call out a fellow tx competitor in a heartbeat if he's acting a fool. Drives me crazy.
    Likes mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion this is what happens when you change something that used to be primarily a hobby into instead a competitive sport. For many a persons love of outdoors and wildlife was as much a part of fishing as anything else. The quiet of being on the water, the sound of a bird or animal occasionally breaking that silence. Many fisherman have a real passion for the process and all the small slow details that go along with a day fishing but much of that is getting lost when the focus is solely on speed, numbers and winning. For myself one of the most fun moments when catching a fish is using light enough tackle to give him a fighting chance, playing him a little and then landing him. Of course there is nothing wrong with those that prefer a different approach but IMHO when using the heaviest tackle and motor boating a fish across the surface in a race to get him in the boat as fast as possible only in order to go on to the next one as fast as possible you lose something. It is no wonder so many people now bully their way past another fisherman or show little to no respect to others who are fishing near by. Since they themselves are overlooking much of the simple joys that come from a day on a lake why expect them to even understand or appreciate what it is that they are interrupting for someone else. I always viewed one of the great benefits of fishing was being able to just slow down and get off of life's conveyor belt for a few hours, away from people, phones competition etc. When fishing becomes primarily a competitive sport it becomes the antitheses of that.
    Likes timmbur22, mhall, know1, kc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    I completely understand your concerns and I agree that some tournament guys can let it go to their head. Some of them feel entitled to more because they feel like they have more invested in the day's catch than the guy fishing for fun. I do believe that it is not just tournament guys that are disrespectful to guys not fishing tournaments, though. I think that some guys out fun fishing automatically lump all tournament guys together and feel like they are out to get them. I think that the best way to look at it is that not all tournament guys are d-bags and not all guys out fun fishing are good ol' boys. Just treat everybody with respect and hope you get the same in return. If you don't, screw them. If you do, then it's all good.

Right on the money. I live on the water making a living bass fishing. I see and experience people with no sense of etiquette virtually every day out there and it seems to be more so the past few years....and they are in bass boats, pontoon boats, pleasure boats etc....I don't see it coming anymore from tournament angler than I do others. I mark it up to their upbringing....seems less folks are taught manners and respect for others now days than in the past.I will however also say majorty of those out there are respectful..just seems more not now than in days past. Kind of like driving in traffic now day..more people weaving in and out of traffic and cutting folks off etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post
    Right on the money. I live on the water making a living bass fishing. I see and experience people with no sense of etiquette virtually every day out there and it seems to be more so the past few years....and they are in bass boats, pontoon boats, pleasure boats etc....I don't see it coming anymore from tournament angler than I do others. I mark it up to their upbringing....seems less folks are taught manners and respect for others now days than in the past.I will however also say majorty of those out there are respectful..just seems more not now than in days past. Kind of like driving in traffic now day..more people weaving in and out of traffic and cutting folks off etc.
    That's a good point. It likely has as much to do with the state of our current society as anything else.
    Likes mhall, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by restornator View Post
    Tournament fishing serves no purpose. They're all idiots, but enough idiots can create an industry and have its ring leaders.

I fish tournies, and i fun fish as well. Ive found that people who are disrespectful during a tourny will also be disrespectful when theyre not fishing a tourny. Ive been cut off by as many bluegill fisherman, pontoons, and pleasure boats as i have tourny guys. Ive also had nice chats with pleasure fisherman, pontoons, pleasure boats, and tourny fisherman. People that dont have any sense wont have any in any aspect of their life, much like the guy who made this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post

It's not just competitive anglers. There are more inconsiderate people these days. Take a parking lot for example. You can park away from the door dingers all by yourself, and some idiot will be compelled to park too close to you. So close that you have to get in from the other side. God forbid you try to protect something nice . These are the same kind of people who feel compelled to fish on top of you, wake you with their pontoon, or buzz you with a jet ski. They can have the whole lake, but they just have force themselves on you. It is an Era of idiots. And the older I get, the less I tolerate it. Can't help but say something. Maybe it's a herd mentality. Or some ingrained sub-conscience moronic genetic defect. Just my two cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally understand. I use to fish tournaments and enjoyed it greatly. It was always for fun. However, lately I have had more tournament fisherman come and pull up cutting me off to fish a bank. Many times within casting distance. It is this rude behavior that creates a bad name for tournament fisherman. Sure, most tournament fisherman are probably not like this, but this proves why it is important for us to act "above reproach" when we are representing the sport. One item that I learned as a sportsman by my mentor was that if I was wearing camo or had a fishing pole in my hand, that I needed to be on my best behavior. My mentor always taught me to limit my privileges to ensure that I gave off a good image of the sport. This meant that I had to be on my best behavior, say please and thank you, and ensure that I do not due things that could appear wrong. Such as buying alcohol while wearing camo or had a boat hooked up. It is the image that we give off that will affect whether we have the same privileges tomorrow as we do today.

Post Thanks / Like
    My father fishes bass tourneys some and he even gets pissed at the way some, not all, but some of the guys act and treat other anglers. I usually fish for cats and hybrids at Taylorsville and do get treated like I am not even there by a lot of tourney fisherman. I also get treated bad by others too. Sometimes it seems like if u don't fish for bass than you are second class to some fisherman. I have a nice boat and equipment so it is not that. I wish people would just slow down a bit when running by others. I have had crappie fisherman wake me so it is not just bass guys but is does seem some of the tourney guys think the lake is there own when they are at the lake. I don't understand why all fishermen can't treat each other with respect. It does seem like all fishing tourneys need to be regulated though. There are so many at the smaller lakes that is makes it impossible for others to fish on weekends. I think tourneys should be limited to one per day at small lakes with only 1 or 2 ramps. I have seen the waiting line at Guist Creek be backed up to almost the road on Saturdays. Hell that is my day off too, I should not have to wait 2 hours to put my boat in. I don't mean to piss anyone off but try to think of others that are trying to enjoy the lake too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Most that know me on here know that I fish Cumberland a lot. What I'm seeing this year has me somewhat concerned and I will get slammed for this but I am going to say it anyway. I know it is a huge lake but how many tournaments should be held on a given body of water per year. Lakes like Nolin, Rough Taylorsville ect..how many? Is there a thing called too much?

I was there this past Friday and I have never seen so many KVD wanna be's in one place in my life and on a week day no doubt. I tried being friendly with two ass wipes in Halcomb's parking lot and they acted like I had three heads and wasn't about to give away their big bad tourney pattern for I assume they were pre-fishing for a Saturday T by the way they were acting. Don't let the fish-n-ski non wrapped boat fool ya I probably could have helped the bungholes but screw'em I walked off after the rude behavior. Got cut off twice and once I say out loud...''REALLY...NO REALLY'' and they acted like punks laughing. Young guns all full of themselves..real bait slingers, LOL.

I'm gonna just say it and I really don't care what I get afterwards so here goes. I am getting to the place where I hate tournaments. If it was up to me they would be sanctioned and regulated. Are they good for fishing yes to a degree but I don't like where its going at all with the rude asses and non caring for the lakes. I have buddies that tourney fish all the time and they won't like me saying this stuff but I had to vent it out.

Friday I was catching a nice smallmouth in a very tight spot one hand dip net the other the rod. I about got washed out of the boat only for these two squirells to notice I had a good one on. They pass me and turn around and wash me again to see me net the fish I guess to see what I caught it on. I looked at them like are you serious....they slam her again and take off.

Go ahead call me everything in the book I have been called much much worse and I ain't a bit skeered. Thank God not everybody acts like this but man its starting to get bad in my opinion.

Have a nice day this is how I feel.
    Cue Stripernut in....3....2.....1

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally have no desire to tournament fish. Fishing is too personal a thing for me and some things don't lend themselves very well to competitiveness without becoming awkward and just plain goofy. Just my opinion. I do believe it has gotten out of hand. I came to this conclusion after 75 bass boats roared by the point I was peacefully camping on Laurel Lake one peaceful morning. Make no mistake............I do not like them.

The sponsors all over the uniforms and boats disgust me. The goofy over-the-top weigh-ins and award presentations remind me of professional wrestling or NASCAR at the least. It takes away from the time honored art of angling.

Fishing was never meant to be that way. Just my two cents.....
    Likes know1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

nuts

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Most that know me on here know that I fish Cumberland a lot. What I'm seeing this year has me somewhat concerned and I will get slammed for this but I am going to say it anyway. I know it is a huge lake but how many tournaments should be held on a given body of water per year. Lakes like Nolin, Rough Taylorsville ect..how many? Is there a thing called too much?

I was there this past Friday and I have never seen so many KVD wanna be's in one place in my life and on a week day no doubt. I tried being friendly with two ass wipes in Halcomb's parking lot and they acted like I had three heads and wasn't about to give away their big bad tourney pattern for I assume they were pre-fishing for a Saturday T by the way they were acting. Don't let the fish-n-ski non wrapped boat fool ya I probably could have helped the bungholes but screw'em I walked off after the rude behavior. Got cut off twice and once I say out loud...''REALLY...NO REALLY'' and they acted like punks laughing. Young guns all full of themselves..real bait slingers, LOL.

I'm gonna just say it and I really don't care what I get afterwards so here goes. I am getting to the place where I hate tournaments. If it was up to me they would be sanctioned and regulated. Are they good for fishing yes to a degree but I don't like where its going at all with the rude asses and non caring for the lakes. I have buddies that tourney fish all the time and they won't like me saying this stuff but I had to vent it out.

Friday I was catching a nice smallmouth in a very tight spot one hand dip net the other the rod. I about got washed out of the boat only for these two squirells to notice I had a good one on. They pass me and turn around and wash me again to see me net the fish I guess to see what I caught it on. I looked at them like are you serious....they slam her again and take off.

Go ahead call me everything in the book I have been called much much worse and I ain't a bit skeered. Thank God not everybody acts like this but man its starting to get bad in my opinion.

Have a nice day this is how I feel.

I used to go nuts on this board bitching about tournaments and everything you are saying and what I have experienced on the water has made me pretty much despise tournaments too. The points made on this thread are all mostly true - it is not all tournament fisherman that are rude by any stretch and there are many rude pleasure fisherman and of course pleasure boaters. But what it boils down to me is how tournaments absolutely dominate the water at certain times. I mostly fish Barkley and Ky and Saturdays during prime season (like now) are absolutely the worst days to try to be on the water. There are so many tournament and other boats too that it can be a joke trying to find a spot without a boat on it. Add in how most want to gun it as soon as they start moving and run full out until zipping past you like you aren't there, dropping it on top of where they want to start regardless of who is close, and jump up on that trolling motor like their first born were on the line and you know what day it is. I definitely show my age and attitude as I drop it down long before I plan to stop and idle for long distances trying to take in what sights and sounds there are to behold in that area sometimes sitting there for several minutes after shutting her down to continue to take it in. I just have a hard time understanding how it is square to have umpteen tournaments with hundreds of boats all converging on the same water on the same day with little to no oversight. Since I am purely a pleasure fisherman and try to enjoy all the little things that SLP mentioned I generally avoid fishing Saturday mornings into the afternoon and since I still work Monday to Friday like most that takes a big chunk of free time out to unwind on the water. I can't wait until the day I can walk away from that and find the freedom to fish any day of the week I want. Saturdays during season will be totally off limits then. It is sad what the competitive side of this past time has taken us to. And for those of you who try to back peddle on the comments and support the tournament side - you know what I am saying. I have watched blast-offs and late afternoon returns with bass boat after bass boat for over an hour and you just know what it is going to be like on the water that day and no those aren't pleasure fisherman or pleasure boaters going by for that hour. Nuts...

kc
    Likes kyriverblues liked this post