Search Fishin.com

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    Post Thanks / Like
    This morning was a prime example of this kind of discourtesy.

My clients and I were out early this morning and pulled into one of the largest bays on North Kentucky. Not a sole in the bay but us. We sat up on a point where I was catching fish yesterday and started fishing. Here comes a tin V bottom into the bay and where does he go to set up...you guessed it....he pulled up right in front of us, between us and the point we are throwing at and commenced to dropping pan fish lines in the water. I asked him if I was in his way (being sarcastic of course) and his reply was "no, I am just going to fish for some bluegill here, why am I in your way...do you want me to move?"

Now this was a senior citizen and he did not appear in anyway to be a newby angler. I just shook my head and he finally got the message and moved on....but my point is.....why would you come into a bay as big a some of the state lakes here in Kentucky and go to the only point in the bay with a boat on it.....does not make sense to me.
    Likes mhall, 12VoltMan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pointer View Post
    Wow! Eight pages! Is this not slightly a topic of some significance? I have a couple of questions about this topic.
    What platform does everyone think would be able to reach the masses, to affect how people think about how they conduct themselves with respect to how they affect other folks on the water? How many times do fishing clubs and other tournament organizations actually talk about, or encourage proper etiquette on the water, or at the ramp for that matter? How many times do, what I consider the leaders in freshwater fishing, Bassmasters or FLW step up and actually discuss courtesy? I agree that there are folks who make foolish, inconsiderate and even reckless decisions, while on the water, or at the ramp. Folks from all walks of life. These folks may be new to the sport, ignorant of etiquette or so wrapped up in winning, that they just push other folk's (wrong) buttons. I love the sport and hate regulation. I sure would like to see some leadership, at all levels, from organized fishing to take some serious steps to relieve several of the pressure points mentioned in this thread. Otherwise, I think things are going to boil over into something that none of us want. We can all blame, fuss, cuss, deflect, etc., but somewhere, somebody needs to accept that things aren't as they should be, and demonstrate some real leadership for improvement.

Mike
    Good post. I'd love to see some major sponsors step up and comment. How about making major tourney fishermen signing an agreement concerning stated subject. Not saying it is all tourney fishermen, but it would be a step in the right direction in hopes of the local knuckleheads to follow suit.
    Likes mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't stand all the tournament fishing and rude fisherman, but I sure love my 20 foot bass boat and my 200 outboard, but I don't forget that they came from tournament fishing, just my 2 cents,

Post Thanks / Like
    This reply may get lost in the other 100 or so replies, but I feel the need to respond to this perfect question. I enjoy fishing tournaments because it lets me see how I measure against other anglers. However, I realize I will never make the Elite Series and I am perfectly fine with that. I love fishing and being out in nature far too much to make this a job. I love all the experiences of this awesome passion provides me. I can only take from this sport what it wants to give me; nothing more. Keep your fulltime jobs, take a deep breath and appreciate just being on the water and enjoy what we have. Trust me, you will enjoy every trip so much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 12VoltMan View Post
    This reply may get lost in the other 100 or so replies, but I feel the need to respond to this perfect question. I enjoy fishing tournaments because it lets me see how I measure against other anglers. However, I realize I will never make the Elite Series and I am perfectly fine with that. I love fishing and being out in nature far too much to make this a job. I love all the experiences of this awesome passion provides me. I can only take from this sport what it wants to give me; nothing more. Keep your fulltime jobs, take a deep breath and appreciate just being on the water and enjoy what we have. Trust me, you will enjoy every trip so much better.
    Now that's the way people should go about it. Nice post man. If more people thought the same way the experience would be a lot more enjoyable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post
    This morning was a prime example of this kind of discourtesy.

My clients and I were out early this morning and pulled into one of the largest bays on North Kentucky. Not a sole in the bay but us. We sat up on a point where I was catching fish yesterday and started fishing. Here comes a tin V bottom into the bay and where does he go to set up...you guessed it....he pulled up right in front of us, between us and the point we are throwing at and commenced to dropping pan fish lines in the water. I asked him if I was in his way (being sarcastic of course) and his reply was "no, I am just going to fish for some bluegill here, why am I in your way...do you want me to move?"

Now this was a senior citizen and he did not appear in anyway to be a newby angler. I just shook my head and he finally got the message and moved on....but my point is.....why would you come into a bay as big a some of the state lakes here in Kentucky and go to the only point in the bay with a boat on it.....does not make sense to me.
    This senior is probably the guy who drives 30 mph in a posted 55 mph area....in the left lane. Zero consideration as a younger man and has become worse as he aged. He more than likely takes 20 min to launch a boat while blocking others and doesn't care.

Post Thanks / Like

Just sayin.

I have fished my entire life and have seen all kinds of bad players. I wear big boy pants so nothing really gets to me because I have been around a long time and know what to expect especially on weekends on any lake. I only have problems with fish mortality at tournaments and the blind eye that some tournament organizers/directors tend to have toward dead fish.I have seen tourney weigh- ins with beds of pickups lined with tarps with ice for the sole purpose of collecting dead fish.No live tanks or any provision for the long wait to the scale,just a pickup at the far end to place the dead ones.I have seen this more than once with large 100 plus boat tourneys and I always ask what is up with this crap. Fish fry is always the answer. I eat fish,not Bass though. I like panfish and walleye much better. Just sayin,things need to change drastically at the weigh ins and /or a different system of weigh in all together.I do think any lake can sustain a certain harvest per acre per year but are the powers that determine this really looking at fish mortality at tournaments and the impact on fish populations? With the increase in tourny's and other fishing pressure has KDFW looked at the big picture and made any sound regulations that will insure good numbers and size of our bass populations all over the State.I really do not think so,at least not lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Money & Competition makes fools out of some people

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Most that know me on here know that I fish Cumberland a lot. What I'm seeing this year has me somewhat concerned and I will get slammed for this but I am going to say it anyway. I know it is a huge lake but how many tournaments should be held on a given body of water per year. Lakes like Nolin, Rough Taylorsville ect..how many? Is there a thing called too much?

I was there this past Friday and I have never seen so many KVD wanna be's in one place in my life and on a week day no doubt. I tried being friendly with two ass wipes in Halcomb's parking lot and they acted like I had three heads and wasn't about to give away their big bad tourney pattern for I assume they were pre-fishing for a Saturday T by the way they were acting. Don't let the fish-n-ski non wrapped boat fool ya I probably could have helped the bungholes but screw'em I walked off after the rude behavior. Got cut off twice and once I say out loud...''REALLY...NO REALLY'' and they acted like punks laughing. Young guns all full of themselves..real bait slingers, LOL.

I'm gonna just say it and I really don't care what I get afterwards so here goes. I am getting to the place where I hate tournaments. If it was up to me they would be sanctioned and regulated. Are they good for fishing yes to a degree but I don't like where its going at all with the rude asses and non caring for the lakes. I have buddies that tourney fish all the time and they won't like me saying this stuff but I had to vent it out.

Friday I was catching a nice smallmouth in a very tight spot one hand dip net the other the rod. I about got washed out of the boat only for these two squirells to notice I had a good one on. They pass me and turn around and wash me again to see me net the fish I guess to see what I caught it on. I looked at them like are you serious....they slam her again and take off.

Go ahead call me everything in the book I have been called much much worse and I ain't a bit skeered. Thank God not everybody acts like this but man its starting to get bad in my opinion.

Have a nice day this is how I feel.
    I have to agree with you. Ray Scot was never a favorite of mine. Bass Tournaments and people going around the lake like a bat out of He)) are not my kind of fishermen.