Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Eagle creek in Owen county

Any advice on catching anything would be greatly appreciated. Only fishing I have done is in stocked private ponds, so this is all new to me. I've caught three but they were barely bite size. I've heard some locals say there are some trout and bass and others say there aren't any fish at all. The property I'm on is bordered by eagle creek so it's easily accessible. Any advice on bait, technique, and locations in the creek. Fast current with deeper channels, or calmer flat water sections..? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not fished Eagle in a long time due to over predation from the otters. Last time I went, I caught one 6 inch smallmouth in over four hours fishing from same spots that I had caught LM, smallmouth, redeye, catfish and drum. It is too warm for trout. Traditional lures always seemed to work before-spinners, poppers, soft craws, buzzbaits and small cranks. I always did better around moving water. Hope it has come back for you!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I managed to catch one fat about 8" red eye the other night and a baby lg mouth and the tiniest bluegill. I did have an otter swim in front of me. I've heard the otters have killed the fish population there. Oh well it's something to do and to pass the time. It's still fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to fish Eagle Creek pretty often as well. Unfortunately it is not at all what it once was. I'm not sure if it was the otters but rather the combination of drought years and surge of otter population all happening at the same time. I think it will come back eventually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I wish it was now what it used to be. It's right here on the property where Richland creek dumps in and it's my go to peaceful fishing spot where I can never see or here anyone. Just wish it was better.