Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluegrass

Post Thanks / Like

Question Bluegrass

went up to bluegrass friday wind was bout of north east water temp 63 surface fished loon. probably my worst day fishing ever fished from 8.00 am till 3.30 pm tried every thing in tackle box. started fishing for crappie nothing shallow deep brush weeds tried bass same. ended the day with 2 small crappie and 3 bass about a pound apiece. i,m sure it will pick up this weekend with temps rising but will wait till the weekdays way to crowded on week ends have a good day
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Blue Grass is OVER CROWDED on Week Ends.

I won't take the boat over to any of the Blue Grass F&W area Lakes on a weekend. Maybe if it's cold and raining it might not be so crowded. At least the people who fish Blue Grass Pit have learned to park so that more can get a parking spot. People are all pretty much parking the same way and this allows many more boat trailers to park in the South Blue Grass Pit's parking lot. The one next to New Harmony Road.

Even on weekdays the parking lots can get crowded. People are hearing about Blue Grass and driving here to fish. Hey I got news for those guys/gals. This is not KY Lake and it's only 190 acres in size. Loon Pit is only 210 Acres.

I use to be able to drive over to Otter Pit and fish from the launch ramp around dusk. But the last year and again this year two women stake out the launch ramp and park their lawn chairs on the ramp. The last time I took the boat over to fish Otter pit I got there and say their butts sitting in the middle of the ramp. I swung around and backed up and make them move a little faster than I think they wanted to. That's ok by me. They don't need to be putting obsticals on the launch ramp. Every fall the past three or four years the UE Outdoor Club take over the ramp and the handicapped parking spot next to the ramp. They bring 20 canoes and put them all on the ramp so as to block it so no one else can launch a boat. Usually they do this is September so it's not that busy but still I fish that pit during that time of the year. The last time I took pictures of their canoe trailer which they parked across the launch ramp and then took the keys to the tow vehicle and went out for a ride on the water. So if anyone came there to fish they would have to wait until the idiot with the keys came back to the launch ramp and move the **** trailer. They put tables and cook dinner right where the handicap van parking is located. Now I'm not that disabled that I need to use a wheel chair or a wheel chair assesible van to get around to fish. But one of my neighbors is confined to a wheel chair and I've seen him over at Bluegrass Pit trying to fish. The rocks and gravel are covering the concrete parking pads and that would make it hard to roll a wheel chair over that pavement. I know that when I'm shopping and the wheels on the shopping cart hit some thing on the floor it stops me cold in my tracks and the wheel locks up. So I can try to image that the wheels on a wheel chair could not like loose gravel spread on top of the concrete handicapped pad.

And also they need to get permission to use any of the waters in the Blue Grass F&W area before they put 30 people in there at one time.

Evansville Canoe also use to bring a bunch of canoes to the Bluegrass F&W area and they too would take over the launch ramp for the day. And they are having people pay to use the canoes so it's considered a commercial interprise. So just like people wanting to have a fishing tournament on the lakes there they have to get permission from the Property Manager before they put in all those canoes.

Now add another 300 or more people with kayaks and Bluegrass's Big Pits are getting over used IMHO.

Ever Since the IDNR started to allow big motors to operation on the lakes in the Blue Grass F&W are the number of boats and people have increased. And as word has spread the number of people using the facilities has increased ten fold since when I started going over there to fish for crappie. I've had kayakers cut right by me where I'm fishing the shallow waters near the bank. They paddle right though were I'm fishing. Two girls did that one time to me and I explained about fishing ediquet and how one is not appreciated cutting though a current fishing area . They didn't even know that unwritten rule of the water that most all fishermen of character obey. But bluegrass is getting so crowded on the weekends it hard not to cut though a guys fishing area when traveling through out the lake. Take the entrance to the "H" area at Blue Grass Pit. One boat fishing the mouth of that area can effectively block off the entrance to other boats if they didn't cut though his fishing area. A single boat can park out there in the middle and cast all the way to either bank with todays modern rods and reels and fishing line. So when I go though into the "H" I apologize for cutting though his fishing area or at least try to speak and be friendly.

I stopped fishing Bluegrass Last year as it was just too crowded to fish the way I fish. I could not troll my crank baits like I wanted to with all the other boats in the way. Some were crossing one way and the others were going another way. When you have 30 boat trailers on the South end and 8 to 10 boat trailers on the North end of Blue Grass Pit it's hard to troll along the drop off that curve in and out from the bank. So I'm going back to fishing with minnow and drop shooting for crappie along the drop with wood on them. I know a few good spots that I've caught fish in the past and have them marked on my Humminbird GPS and my Garmin GPS units. But I won't be fishing over there like I did in the past. It's just too crowded. It was nice at first when not many other people know about it and I could fish in solitude and it was so peaceful that once in a while I could observe deer coming down to the edge of the water to drink. And one evening I saw two beavers swimming in the "H" entrance area where the Beaver Lodge is located. That was pretty cool. I've seen evidence of the beavers work but have not seen any of the live Beavers around the past 6 years or so. Too many people for them to show themselves these days. It was getting dark and I was going back to the launch ramp to go home when I saw the two live beavers swimming across the lake.

I've also see White Tail Deer swimming across the main part of the lake. I have seen snakes swimming across the lake one time and most of them are found along the edge of the water. Raccoons also frequent the shorelines out there at night.

Blue Grass Fish and Wildlife Area is being LOVED TO DEATH by too many people trying to use the facility.

And then there are the idiots that go out there and drive off the gravel roads and tear up the ground with their stupid four wheel vehicles. They should drive up to Inter-lake instead and use those designated off road trails up there. That what they are there for. It cost the IDNR a fortune to repair the damage done by a few individuals with no sense of public property respect what so ever. Every sign that's knocked down or every piece of used fishing line and trash make the place worse off. Use Blue Grass and respect it is what I'm saying.

The problem in IN is that we just have too many people and not enough natural resources these days. As compared to the area around KY lake back in the 1940 where it was rural and peaceful back in the day. Today it's not that way anymore and that's a crying shame.

So if you are smart you will try to fish during the middle of the week and stay away from Blue Grass on the Weekend when it's over crowded.

Post Thanks / Like
    zeeese all I wanted is to post a fishing report, didnt mean to start a fire. but I see your point.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry that was not really directed at you but others

Quote Originally Posted by quack View Post
    zeeese all I wanted is to post a fishing report, didnt mean to start a fire. but I see your point.
    I didn't mean to go off on you sir. I am just down on Blue Grass these days due to over crowding.

I heard two guys talking about catching some nice crappie in shallow waters about 5 ft deep along the shoreline. The lake is full of underwater vegetation that only takes root where it has enough sunlight. And the water clarity of the Blue Grass Pit is limited. Sunlight only reaches down to about ten feet deep with enough energy to support those rooted plants. So there is a definite wall of weeds that goes from the edge of the water surface to about ten feet down into the water. The wall edge will be different distances from the water's edge due to the varying slopes around the lake. Some parts of the Blue Grass Pit drop off steeply very close to the shoreline and others taper off more slowly and the edges of the weed will be further out from the shoreline. And from my experience the weeds start to thin out a bit a 7 to 8 feet deep.

I speak of weed a lot because they hold a lot of fish and can be fished easily if you can figure out where the weeds end and which way the weed line is going. Many inside bends in the weedline are good fishing spots. The crappie love the weeds as they hold oxygen and lots of food and also give the crappie a place to feed on small aquatic insects that live in and on the weeds. The shape of a crappie is flatten and this give them the ability to turn quickly in cover. Thus they are normally found around cover such as brush piles. And after seeing pictures of 40" long Muskies coming out of Blue Grass Pit I'd hide in the weed and brush piles if I were a small crappie too.

Grab a bucket of minnows and try tight lining for crappie along the weed lines and if you can find anything that the crappie can relate to on the bottom. That can be a quick change in depth or a stump or even a small stickup in 7 ft of water. And then some of the crappie like to cruse the depths of the main lake in big schools follow schools of shad. I troll with crank baits at 1.5 mph or less and at least 20 to 25 ft deep in order to catch those bigger slab crappie. I spend a lot of mony getting my boat rigged up to troll like this but with the lake being over crowded I find that hard to do. Which is why I talked about it in the other post.

Blue Grass is a public Lake and anyone is welcome to fish there as long as they follow the IDNR rules. So good fishing to you and hope you catch a few fish and have fun. And remember that week days are usually less crowded and make for a better fishing experience. IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Visited Blue Grass for a few minutes today

I had to go to Blue Grass today to release a raccoon that I caught in my HavaHeart Live Animal Trap last night. He was raiding my bird feeders eating lbs of the black sunflower seeds that I put in several flat trays for the birds to eat. I almost caught him the other night and was going to try to shoot him with a pellet gun but he got away too fast. So I reset the trap and added some thawed out frozen sardines that I had been saving in the freezer for just this occasion. Two years ago I caught another raccoon in the trap using those freshly opened can of sardines. That raccoon was not happy but this recent capture was a lot calmer. I let him sleep a while out in the yard still inside the cage while I ate breakfast and did my morning routine and got dressed. By 10:30 am I was ready to take him and put him inside the cage in the back of my truck bed and take him over to blue grass F&W area for release back into the wild.

That was the easy part. He went straight into the water at the South end of Blue Grass Pit. The first one I released at the North end of Bluegrass Pit and he went into the water and swam from the south side of the new concrete launch ramp to the North Side and vanished into the bushes and grass. They should be able to find plenty of cray fish and dead fish to eat out there and have a better life than living in my subdivision. And the birds can have more food for themselves.

The second raccoon I caught had tripped the sensor on my 500 Watt Quartz Security light on the back porch by his movements around the bird feeders. So I was up until 3:00 am the other night trying to see if he would come back to the trap after I put some sardines trails leading into the cage. But no luck. I didn't get much sleep that night at all. And I got a very important phone call the next morning at 8:00 AM the next day. I didn't make it to the phone in time to answer the call but the problem I had called FoxPro about has resolved itself now. I bought a new FoxPro game caller and it didn't work so I took it back to the store and exchanged it for a new one. Therefore I didn't need to talk to the FoxPro Tech anymore. So I just apologized to them for not answering the phone that morning when their tech called me. I hate when I call someone and get a answering machine and have to wait for them to call me back the next day or even two days later. I forget that I called them and some times I 'm not prepared to answer the phone when they call back. I call that playing Telephone tag with someone. And it's a game I don't like to play.

Anyway when I was there I noticed that even on a day like today it was crowded and that was only the main parking lot at the South end of Blue Grass pit. I didn't check the North end's parking lot but it gets busy too.

One thing that I did like was last year the new properly manager sprayed the shoreline of several of the smaller pits to try to eradicate some of the tall weeds that grow around the edge of these pits. Now they also have some group cut down the dead weeds to make a better shore line fishing area. So now the people that park their lawn chairs on the concrete launch ramps and block the path for boats trying to launch and recover can go fish in the gassy area and stay out of the way of the boat ramp. It's a boat ramp not a fishing ramp. Although it would be nice if IDNR would build some fishing piers that jut out into the water for people to fish off of but away from the launch ramp. Maybe then they would get a clue and get out of the way when a boat trailer shows up with a boat to launch. Some people hog the ramp three times a week at min and are always in the way. I almost want to tell them to get out of the way but they move when they notice I'm backing the boat back down the ramp. Still I have to watch out that they don't get run over and that distracts my attention away from things that I need to focus on. Things like making sure that the safety chain is disconnected before I back down and stop real fast thinking that the boat will just slide off the trailer and into the water with only the 70 ft rope attached to it's bow to keep it from getting away. And then right where I plan on pulling the boat to shore ... You guessed it ... That's where she moved her **** lawn chair. I use the rope to tie the front of the rope to the rails on the Handicapped launch platform while I take the truck and trailer to park it. So the lawn chair is right in the way every time. I should not have to worry about running over people on the launch ramp when launching my boat every time. And this is at Otter Pit where it's much less crowded except for these two shoreline fishergirls that think that they are the only one's that use the launch ramp.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my......

Who forgets to remove their safety chain? Sounds like your ego is a bit bruised from making such an amateur mistake in front of the ladies. I have run into these two women on many occasions. They always move right away and have even given me their leftover minnows on a couple of occasions. They could probably teach you a thing or two about boat ramp etiquette....like getting your boat ready before you even think about approaching the boat ramp. That way the rest of us boat owners can launch in a timely manner and not have to wait for your crabby ass to get your safety chain unlocked. So next time you see those two fisher girls, just nod and say thank you for putting their 6lb bass back into the lake (I witnessed that one).
    Sincerely,
    BigBruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBruce View Post
    Who forgets to remove their safety chain? Sounds like your ego is a bit bruised from making such an amateur mistake in front of the ladies. I have run into these two women on many occasions. They always move right away and have even given me their leftover minnows on a couple of occasions. They could probably teach you a thing or two about boat ramp etiquette....like getting your boat ready before you even think about approaching the boat ramp. That way the rest of us boat owners can launch in a timely manner and not have to wait for your crabby ass to get your safety chain unlocked. So next time you see those two fisher girls, just nod and say thank you for putting their 6lb bass back into the lake (I witnessed that one).
    Sincerely,
    BigBruce
    Preach on brother!

Post Thanks / Like

You are too kind

Quote Originally Posted by BigBruce View Post
    Sincerely,
    BigBruce
    I guess we all could learn about Etiquette from you Bruce. Learn want not to do or say in these forums

Next time I see them parked in the Handicapped Parking Spot I'll thank them for taking up the only handicapped parking spot in the area so they don't have to carry their lawn chairs an extra 15 feet. I guess it's OK by you that they park in the handicapped parking spot..

I normally launch and get off the ramp faster than most people. So I don't need lessons from someone like you in how to launch my boat. . If I had a dollar for every time I made a launching mistake I could almost buy a cup of coffee. IE. I don't make that mistake often enough to need launch ramp lessons from you or those two girls.. And if the girls had not been on the ramp I most likely would have removed the safety chain that day. It was the first time I've had the boat out in over two years so I'm entitled to make ONE Mistake.

Your big mistake was making your first post in Fishin.com. Maybe it's YOU that needs a lesson or two in Etiquette. You are not showing much of that in here so far in here and you have only made one post.

And the next time I see them parked in the only HANDICAPPED VAN ACCESSIBLE parking spot in the parking lot I'll ask them nicely them to move it. You can't get anymore disrespectful than to illegally take up the only handicapped parking spot in the entire area. There is plenty of room in that parking lot for 30 boats and they choose to park next to the launch ramp in the handicapped parking spot. How inconsiderate of them to do that. There are people that need that parking spot in order to off load their wheel chairs in order to fish. Those girls didn't looked handicapped to me and they walked without any difficulty. They were just too lazy to park 15 feet further away from the launch ramp. And they do it every time they are out there. It's not like they didn't know what they were doing. They just chose to ignore the signage displaying the handicapped symbol next to the parking space that's the only spot out there that's paved with concrete. The concrete is so that someone with a wheel chair can move across the smooth surface and not have to go though the gravel to reach the handicapped boat loading platform.

And these two girls are not the only ones that ignore the signs out there that request people to park away from the launch ramps or to not go past a certain point off the road. If everyone parked on the launch ramp like some people it would cause a big fuss with a lot more people. I see people parking their vehicles right smack dab in the middle of some of the gravel launch ramps and staying there for hours. I often wonder how many people just left that lake because they didn't want to have to ask some moron to move his truck off the launch ramp.

I not sorry I brought this up. I'm only sorry that some jerk decided to make a issue of it with me in here

I'm entertained that those two girls so enthralled you by giving you a few left over minnows. You are too easily bought.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...

Somehow I always get sucked into reading your novels. I try to stop myself, I do...but somehow I just keep reading. I too have seen those two ladies fishing the ramp on several occasions. Every single time, they are quick to move for me and are super nice to talk to. Doesn't bother me a bit. Besides, didn't you start your rant about the ladies "hogging" the ramp by saying YOU like to fish from the ramp but couldn't because they were there?? So they have to pick up a lawn chair to move for you to dump your boat...big whoop. Sounds like you're just butt hurt over them being there before you...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilster View Post
    Somehow I always get sucked into reading your novels. I try to stop myself, I do...but somehow I just keep reading. I too have seen those two ladies fishing the ramp on several occasions. Every single time, they are quick to move for me and are super nice to talk to. Doesn't bother me a bit. Besides, didn't you start your rant about the ladies "hogging" the ramp by saying YOU like to fish from the ramp but couldn't because they were there?? So they have to pick up a lawn chair to move for you to dump your boat...big whoop. Sounds like you're just butt hurt over them being there before you...
    I agree, always too wordy

Post Thanks / Like

I don't sit in a lawn chair when I fish the ramp. I stand up

Quote Originally Posted by Tilster View Post
    I get out of the way if I'm fishing on the ramp. I don't park in the handicapped spot either. Which was my main beef with them. And you failed to even mention that. I guess you are not handicapped or don't know anyone that's handicapped and still tries to fish. And the Blond is nice. I was referring to the dark headed girl. She's the quiet one and won't talk much. The blond is friendly. And yes they moved right away. But they dark haired one moved right where I was going to park the boat and tied up to the rail so that I could go park my vehicle and not have the boat drift away accidentally. What I was saying is that when anyone is on the ramp it's easily to break my routine and make me forget something like the safety chain. That was the first time I had launched my boat in two years and I was out of my routine.

My main beef is that there are just people every where you look when you got to Bluegrass on the weekends these days. It's impossible to get away from people. And for me that's one of the reasons I use to go to Bluegrass was to get away from all the people. I use to enjoy the place when it was trolling motor only and there were fewer people out there. The deer would come down to the edge of the water to drink and beaver would swim on the surface of the water at dusk without fear. And the fishing was better back then as there were not so many boats to contend with. It was more peaceful. And one didn't have to worry about some other boat going by making waves that rocked your boat while you were trying to fish.

So it's not any one individual that I'm talking about so to speak. Those two girls are just an example of all the over crowding that's going on out there. I just chose to stop going as much as I just don't enjoy it as much as I did in the past. I thought the same thing about Patoka Lake when it FIRST OPENED. There was a **** boat in every cove at Patoka Lake when it first Opened and it's still like that on the Weekends. But I love fishing Patoka Lake. Now I go on the weekdays as I'm retired and can fish when I choose.

I grew up fishing on Kentucky Lake in the late 1950's. It was wild back then. We stayed in a one room cabin in the middle of a cow pasture and had to walk a half mile from the cabin to the boat dock in order to go fishing. To me fishing is rustic. It's a way to get some solitude. And KY lake was like that back in the 1950's. We have too many people these days. Over 7 Billion on this earth and it's causing more problems IMHO.

Now if you want to go to a park and enjoy being around people then fine that's your thing. But I'm more into being out in the fields, woods or lake with few people around. That's just the way I like it. I'm not saying that you have to be like that. Not at all. I'm just expressing what I like and don't like. I'm just venting if you will.

So don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that those girls don't have a right to fish at the ramp. They have every right to be there as anyone else. But the rules do stay to not park near the ramp which I think means don't block the ramp. And parking in the handicapped parking spot is a BIG NO NO. I'm surprised that they have not been given a citation for that already.

And if you think I'm too wordy then you won't be the first one to tell me that. But that's the way I am. I type fast and it's easy for me to type long essays. It's a way to practice my typing skills and keep them up to date. I don't make anyone read my posts. You are free to just ignore them and not read them. But I will usually respond if you make a comment.

Bottom line. Go have fun and enjoy yourselves. I am reducing my time out there and I'm ok with that. That will give more room to the people that are out there now. I've fished Bluegrass since it first opened out there to the public and if you have been fishing it that long you too would see the changes that have occurred. Some days it's hard to find a parking spot for the Boat trailer at Bluegrass pit on the weekends.

And yes I would sometimes enjoy fishing the ramp at dusk like I used to. But I like to fly fish and if those two girls are there I can't do that. So I normally just go back home. I don't need to fish that badly. I have many other things to keep me busy these days. Which is why I have not fished Bluegrass at all in 2014 and only went there one time this year. I enjoy driving around the place and taking pictures of the wildlife. My freezer is still full of crappie fillets from a few years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't read it then

Quote Originally Posted by toomanycasts View Post
    I agree, always too wordy
    I'd post more words, but I know you won't comprehend most of them without going to get a dictionary.