Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland River--First Timers

So here's the deal. My college roommate and I plan on taking the kayaks this summer and fishing the Cumberland. Likely access point is Wolf Creek Dam since I will be home in Albany for a few months. Always wanted to do some trout fishing, but never had the chance. We will be using spinning rods and I will have along a fly rod as well, but no idea what to use or how to use it. my questions are:

1. What should we rig our spinning rods with?

AND 2. If I chose to occasionally use a fly rod, what would I need? from my research it looks like a nymph is the way to go.

Any info or advice would be tremendously appreciated. We are just trying to get some experience and maybe catch a fish or two. Also, thanks in advance!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhite00 View Post
    So here's the deal. My college roommate and I plan on taking the kayaks this summer and fishing the Cumberland. Likely access point is Wolf Creek Dam since I will be home in Albany for a few months. Always wanted to do some trout fishing, but never had the chance. We will be using spinning rods and I will have along a fly rod as well, but no idea what to use or how to use it. my questions are:

1. What should we rig our spinning rods with?

AND 2. If I chose to occasionally use a fly rod, what would I need? from my research it looks like a nymph is the way to go.

Any info or advice would be tremendously appreciated. We are just trying to get some experience and maybe catch a fish or two. Also, thanks in advance!!
    Suggest a scan of the threads on the FLY FISHING BOARD. Lots of good info there.

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as the fly fishing goes you can get by with a few black stonefly nymphs in a size 6 or 8. Big nymphs but I put them under a strike indicator to keep them just off the bottom. On the spinning rod I like to use crawfish colored shallow running square bill crankbaits. Cast them to the timber along the banks in the deep pools for big brown trout.
    Likes ky.jonboatfisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Gambler, thanks for the help. On the fly, are you using sinking line or just a sinking leader?

Post Thanks / Like

good guides

Its tough fly fishing out of a yak, especially for someone new to fly fishing. I used a fly rod for the first time over the weekend, had a blast. Actually caught a couple nice trout. Went out with Pirates of the Cumberland and used a nymph called the creelsboro cricket. Get a fly rod, (an inexpensive one will work fine until you see if you like it),and practice with it before you go on the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.D. View Post
    Its tough fly fishing out of a yak, especially for someone new to fly fishing. I used a fly rod for the first time over the weekend, had a blast. Actually caught a couple nice trout. Went out with Pirates of the Cumberland and used a nymph called the creelsboro cricket. Get a fly rod, (an inexpensive one will work fine until you see if you like it),and practice with it before you go on the water.
    Na man, coming from someone who predominately fly fishes, fly fishing out of a yak is the way to do it, thats the main form of fishing i do, you can get up in all the little areas and backwaters other boats cant, you have a true benefit being in a small craft like a yak. its all personal preference though, each to their own, as long as you're fishing, its a good day lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    if you are going on that river in a kayak you better pay close attention to the generation schedule. when they start generating you will not be able to paddle upstream and will have to have someone pick you up down river. the river is cold and dangerous, if you get in that water you wont last long if you cant get out fast. Cumberland drifters guide service web page has a guy on the site that taxis fisherman from ramp to ramp I would set up a ride with him and wear a pfd every minute you are on the river.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ky.jonboatfisher View Post
    Na man, coming from someone who predominately fly fishes, fly fishing out of a yak is the way to do it, thats the main form of fishing i do, you can get up in all the little areas and backwaters other boats cant, you have a true benefit being in a small craft like a yak. its all personal preference though, each to their own, as long as you're fishing, its a good day lol.
    ya man I saw a lot of first timers below the wolf creek dam throwing fifty yards with a six weight, double hauling at that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep track of the generation schedule on tva website, wolf creek. Rooster tails and #5 shad raps.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you need a place to stay, this place looks pretty good.
    They advertise with us. Let him know you saw it on fishin.com if you stay there.
    Thanks.

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/conten...mberland-River