Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky River Pool 9 - Valley View Ferry

Anyone ever fished around the Valley View Ferry or Tates Creek? Went today and fished the backwater (Tates Creek) no luck- but also came with the wrong gear completely. Just wondered if anyone has ever had any luck, with any fish, around these parts. KY Fish and Wildlife reports people catching numerous kinds of fish here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use to fish it as a kid/teen (~50yrs ago)... back when there was a marina there. Catfish, Drum, and even an eel were caught from the banks & dock, oh and a "waterdog", too. LOL !! Green worms dug from the river banks was the primary bait in those days ('cause it was "free", and a po white boy loved free !! ) Ate a lot of what we caught, sold some for pop/chip money. Caught many a White Bass below the lock, too.

Most of my Bass, Crappie, & Muskie were caught around the I-75 bridge down to Boone Creek ... in more recent years. (~ 35yrs ago).

Haven't been back there, since.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha! Went back today with, what I thought, was the correct gear. Actually caught some fish today but still not what I expected- maybe 3 largemouth and a few hybrids. Finally found a spot to slide in and wade. No luck until the Jacks Creek bridge.

I also looked on the map and found that place too. Just a roommate and I looking for new places and adventures. Usually fish the creeks up in Richmond- lots and lots of smallmouth. I guess I'll have to check this one out too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been down there 3 or 4 times on my kayak and have had only one bite. where is the jacks creek bridge? I expected having luck down there, there should be almost zero pressure in that area

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't been there in a few years but never had much luck except up around the locks. I know people that catch some decent fish around there but I think fishing that river is a little different and I never figured it out. There is hardly no pressure down there.
    Likes ncDevMan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I fish a few pools downstream-Nonesuch. The fishing is always very hit or miss on the river and you can catch anything there. It is almost like saltwater because you don't know what you have until you see it. I stick mainly to fishing small crankbaits in fire tiger in stained water and red, orange or natural in clear water. Have caught muskie, drum, LM, SM, bluegill, white bass, catfish, walleye, gar, crappie and carp on small cranks. When bass are in post spawn (should be now), try slow sloping banks with lots of cover and throw topwaters with a fluke or tube jig as a follow bait. Fishing usually isn't that good but neither is the cell phone reception so that usually trumps the catching for me!!!
    Likes ncDevMan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post
    I have been down there 3 or 4 times on my kayak and have had only one bite. where is the jacks creek bridge? I expected having luck down there, there should be almost zero pressure in that area

Jack's creek bridge is downstream of Tates Creek. We basically hiked more than we fished honestly. We got past the "dam" of trees in Tates Creek and finally caught some large mouth- not even big enough to talk about. But you then run into Jack's Creek bridge if you follow Tate's Creek long enough. Its the first bridge you come to. Junction 169 (Tates Creek) and Junction 1156 (Jack's Creek) meet.