Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Green River Lake

Dad and I are going to try Green River Lake this weekend and know nothing about it (just like to try somewhere new). I really want to show him up and put us on some bass. Any advice, tips, locations, bait information would be greatly appreciated.

I know, first post and asking for tips, but I will certainly report on how we do and try to share with others what little advice I can now that I am a "member".

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you bass fishing or looking for crappie and walleyes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bass, which he usually kicks my butt in!

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a good conture map of the lake and give it a study. Fish early and late, you should be ok!

Post Thanks / Like

Love to hear how the fishing went!

My husband and I are headed to Green River Lake this week for a ten day fishing vacation. He is a die hard Basser and the growing season is so short here in Minnesota, the bass don't get nearly as big as they do in Kentucky! I would love to hear how your fishing experience with your Dad went.

Post Thanks / Like
    I fished a tournament there this weekend with about 30 boats. Top 3 places were 18, 16, and 15 pounds. Most people caught fish shallow some caught them deep. Fish are scattered right now so you have to go looking. Some guys reported catching them offshore and on points. Others were fishing shallow in creeks and cuts. Numbers are being reported way up in the river but not much size (1-2 pounds). Texas rigged soft plastics are reportedly working. I took one bite all day Saturday but it was a nice one just under 5 pounds. Caught it on a shakey head in white oak creek.
    Likes Wildbillfromlouisville liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone recommend a good ramp to use? Wife and I possibly going for first time this weekend. I usually have to load and unload by myself. Is one better than the other , coming from Spencer County. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    All the main Ramps are pretty good. I like Green River Marina also called the state dock (not be confused with the state park). Site 1 (ramp 1 to the locals) is good too or if you want a ramp further up the lake Holmes Bend is good.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks pastor. Are those mentioned in the Taylor County Park? Looked on map and could not find Holmes Bend. Saw two ramps north of State Park

Post Thanks / Like
    Holmes Bend is on the Adair county side. This link should help.

http://www.holmesbendresort.com/location.html

The others I mentioned are in Taylor county not too far out of campbellsville. There is a ramp at the state park, it should be listed as lone valley.

As I mentioned all are good and you shouldn't have any trouble at any of them, I would pick the one closest to where you are staying. Green River Marina has seems to have mostly pleasure boats so the ramp is fairly empty early in the morning. Ramp 1/site 1 is mostly a fisherman stamp and most tourneys go out of there.
    Likes augertail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augertail View Post
    Anyone recommend a good ramp to use? Wife and I possibly going for first time this weekend. I usually have to load and unload by myself. Is one better than the other , coming from Spencer County. Thanks
    If you load/unload yourself I'd recommend Lone Valley. The ramp is in a cove and is 90% protected from wind and waves. Parking is close and it has a courtesy dock for easy boarding.
    Likes augertail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We fished all day Sunday. Caught a good amount but only 2 that were quality size. Caught most on top water early. Didnt get a bite from noon to 3, then another smaller one at 3. Other than early top water, all were caught on green pumpkin tube fishing deep rock walls but the bites were coming right on the wall. Texas rigged worm and brush hog produced nothing for us, but heard others on the lake had success with those.