Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1233 View Post
    I think the problem is more the big dummy's who caught em than the conditions. If you recirculate your livewells, make sure it doesn't get super hot, get the fish out of the well, to the scales,cand back in the water quickly then you wouldn't see as much of this. My buddy and I fished a tournament yesterday and they had ice on hand, got the fish weighed quickly, and back in the lake right after. Another precaution they took was we could only keep 3 fish. Gave the fish some more room and kept the possibility of a large kill down. In the tournament there was 1 fish that died, and that was because he had a hook in his throat. We're talking about high school kids, if me and the kids I fish against can keep them alive, then anyone should be able to.
    I think a 3 fish limit in the warmer months of the year is a good compromise for both sides of the issue. But then you could carry around a fish in the live well for most of the day and then replace it at the 11th hour with a larger one and more than likely the smaller fish would be toast. No telling how many die that way every weekend and it's never noticed because the fish could be miles from the weigh-in area.
    Likes kyriverblues liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    I think a 3 fish limit in the warmer months of the year is a good compromise for both sides of the issue. But then you could carry around a fish in the live well for most of the day and then replace it at the 11th hour with a larger one and more than likely the smaller fish would be toast. No telling how many die that way every weekend and it's never noticed because the fish could be miles from the weigh-in area.
    We caught 2 of ours in the first hour and those fish swam away strong. They were kicking and flopping right before we put them back and we're looking very healthy. I know several teams used ice in their wells and there fish also seemed good and healthy. This was a very small tournament though. Only 11 boats with 3 fish for each student team and 1 fish for each adult driver. So in all, only 44 fish were at risk. I'd say it was a good compromise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1233 View Post
    We caught 2 of ours in the first hour and those fish swam away strong. They were kicking and flopping right before we put them back and we're looking very healthy. I know several teams used ice in their wells and there fish also seemed good and healthy. This was a very small tournament though. Only 11 boats with 3 fish for each student team and 1 fish for each adult driver. So in all, only 44 fish were at risk. I'd say it was a good compromise.
    Maybe consider a shorter amount of fishing time as well to reduce the amount of time a fish would potentially have to spend in a live well with night tournaments being exempt.
    Likes Drew1233 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an interesting take on the subject.
    http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2...n-to-dead-bass
    Likes MagikSmallie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Question about using ice?

I know many people use ice in their livewells but I saw an article once upon a time stating something to the effect that when the fish is released suddenly back into the hot water, they may swim away strong at first, but then can often go into shock because of the drastic temperate change and end up dying anyway. Anybody have more info on this?
    Likes GeoFisher, kyriverblues liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that is indeed true. When people cool their live well down with ice only a few pieces need to go in there. I'm of the opinion in hot water to keep livewells running all day bringing fresh water into the well. When you recirc the water warns because no new fresh water is being introduced. Also the warmer water has less oxygen so as you recirc the oxygen is being used up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it would be hard to do for these smaller club tournaments but I think it would help tremendously if clubs went to the "major league fishing" style tournaments. That way when a legal fish is caught it is weighed by the marshal and released immediately.
    Likes kyriverblues liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig'em83 View Post
    This unfortunately is a good chance to set an example. Triton should be held responsible for the fish kill. They have been in the game long enough to know better in these circumstances. Why wasn't the director of the tournament seeing to it steps were taken to keep fish alive? They,(triton) much like many anglers are about the money. Triton should have handed out free ice to each boat and or water treatment to each. Until these big companies are held responsible for there actions, the angler will overlook it too. It needs to start from top down and lead by example. Such an unfortunate situation.
    http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2...n-to-dead-bass

You should give this a read.
    Likes Drew1233 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    Thanks for the link. There should still accountability held on behalf of the organization. Yes bass die. I've had it happen. We are held accountable when we bring one back dead by being deducted on weight. So why are the organizations not held accountable? This debate will go on and on. I just hope ppl will open there eyes. If we want to continue having fisheries like this we need to be more responsible.
    Likes NKYFISHING, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    When I lived in South Carolina and fished Santee Cooper or the Cooper River, our tournaments in the summer months were safelight to 1:00pm. We called them "Beat the Heat" tournaments. During midday it would get close to 100 degrees. I have seen water temps as hot as 92 to 94 degrees.

Fish management was the most important issue of the day. I would freeze Gatorade bottles with water and "Please Release Me". Take the top off and drop in a couple every hour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig'em83 View Post
    Thanks for the link. There should still accountability held on behalf of the organization. Yes bass die. I've had it happen. We are held accountable when we bring one back dead by being deducted on weight. So why are the organizations not held accountable? This debate will go on and on. I just hope ppl will open there eyes. If we want to continue having fisheries like this we need to be more responsible.
    What sort of 'accountability' would you suggest on the organization conducting the tournament? Let's not forget the organization has brought in $1,000's of dollars into the community, hotels, gas, food, fishing licenses which are used for upkeep of the fishery and stocking programs. The reality is, it isn't the organizations fault. It is the individual fishermen who need to learn to care for their fish better. This has gone on, on KY Lake for years and the fishery seems to be as good as it ever has been.
    Likes GeoFisher, Drew1233 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    What sort of 'accountability' would you suggest on the organization conducting the tournament? Let's not forget the organization has brought in $1,000's of dollars into the community, hotels, gas, food, fishing licenses which are used for upkeep of the fishery and stocking programs. The reality is, it isn't the organizations fault. It is the individual fishermen who need to learn to care for their fish better. This has gone on, on KY Lake for years and the fishery seems to be as good as it ever has been.
    Wanton Waste my friend....there are STATE laws to handle this, and every single boat that weighed a fish that then died should be held accountable.......PERIOD.

1000.00 fine would send ONE hell of a message, wouldn't it?
    Likes Jig'em83, raporter liked this post