Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    This post by Geo could be worst in history of fishin.com. So everyone with a dead or dying fish will throw the fish overboard instead of weighing it in.
    Likes MagikSmallie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe bass guys should take some tips from the catfish tourney guys, most of them have large tanks with good size water pumps to keep the water moving and rarely have dead fish. I know they take up a lot of room and will slow the boat down a little but it works pretty well. But I think the keeping a fish in a live well for hours and running fast over choppy water has got to beat the fish up pretty bad. I have also seen alot of fish that die after being let go and look fine. Kinda like releasing a striper when it is warm. they look good but die an hour later. I wish I had the answer for the problem but I do think that bass tourneys have gotten way to big and need to have some regulations on how many can be help at a lake over a year. I can't hardly even put my boat in on the lakes around here on a weekend because of having to wait for the tourney people to put in or take out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
    I know it would be hard to do for these smaller club tournaments but I think it would help tremendously if clubs went to the "major league fishing" style tournaments. That way when a legal fish is caught it is weighed by the marshal and released immediately.
    I love that show. There are a few clubs that practice CPR (catch, photo, release) and weights are taken on the honor system. You would need to have faith in all of your fellow competitors for that to work. It works well for church tournaments as cheating in those would be a good way to earn a ticket to hell. Lol.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kyriverblues View Post
    Maybe bass guys should take some tips from the catfish tourney guys, most of them have large tanks with good size water pumps to keep the water moving and rarely have dead fish. I know they take up a lot of room and will slow the boat down a little but it works pretty well. But I think the keeping a fish in a live well for hours and running fast over choppy water has got to beat the fish up pretty bad. I have also seen alot of fish that die after being let go and look fine. Kinda like releasing a striper when it is warm. they look good but die an hour later. I wish I had the answer for the problem but I do think that bass tourneys have gotten way to big and need to have some regulations on how many can be help at a lake over a year. I can't hardly even put my boat in on the lakes around here on a weekend because of having to wait for the tourney people to put in or take out.
    I don't mind waiting on tourney fisherman at the ramp. A tourney of 50 bass boats can be loaded and off the ramp in less time than one city boy with a pontoon boat can. Also, the vast majority of bass fisherman are respectful of a persons place in line.
    Likes Drew1233 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    What sort of 'accountability' would you suggest on the organization conducting the tournament? Let's not forget the organization has brought in $1,000's of dollars into the community, hotels, gas, food, fishing licenses which are used for upkeep of the fishery and stocking programs. The reality is, it isn't the organizations fault. It is the individual fishermen who need to learn to care for their fish better. This has gone on, on KY Lake for years and the fishery seems to be as good as it ever has been.
    it may seem as good....now....how about in another 40 years when our youngsters are fishing? As far as the organization goes.....it is on them. Knowing the conditions they should have taken the opportunity to "teach" those individuals who did not know. They are promoters of the sport. Why not promote healthy fishing instead of big payouts? You are correct, they do bring large amounts of money to the area. But if this is not stopped, the natural resources that are making these tax dollars will be wiped out.

Post Thanks / Like
    After the Cumberland lodge tournament a couple months ago I witnessed a tournament boat drive down the ramp turn crossways, get in the boat and throw fish back in the water, guess his wasn't big enough to weigh. I did pick up a coulpe of kys by hand to add to my 2 stripers to clean

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisherman99 View Post
    This post by Geo could be worst in history of fishin.com. So everyone with a dead or dying fish will throw the fish overboard instead of weighing it in.
    Don't be silly.......

If the only reason you're catching them is to cash a check and you DELIBERATELY put the fish in harms way, then you should be held accountable.

It is sad that this is a common sense issue to me, yet so many folks are blinded by the mighty dollar. I will tell you this, the fish I catch have a HELL of a better chance of surviving, because they go right back in the water, unless I'm harvesting them. THEN and ONLY THEN, do they go in the livewell.

And for the record, I've fished a couple tourneys in my life.....in the winter, and at Dale Hollow.
    Likes sweetwater, NKYFISHING liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Wanton Waste my friend....there are STATE laws to handle this, and every single boat that weighed a fish that then died should be held accountable.......PERIOD.

1000.00 fine would send ONE hell of a message, wouldn't it?

How do fine someone when they aren't doing anything illegal? And as much as I hate wasting and killing fish I don't think the government enacting stricter laws and fines for fisherman is the answer.

I would prefer fisherman themselves feel more responsible and would look towards solutions such as going to total inches with photos for small tournaments and for the larger ones go with the Major League Fishing styled approach.

Tournaments have become so popular and such a big business that the old style of hauling around multiple fish in your boat all day should really start to be looked as an antiquated method that hasn't kept pace with technology.
    Likes bassfisherman99, MagikSmallie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Wanton Waste my friend....there are STATE laws to handle this, and every single boat that weighed a fish that then died should be held accountable.......PERIOD.

1000.00 fine would send ONE hell of a message, wouldn't it?
    Geo C'mon man....nothing they did was anywhere near illegal, those bass were not intentionally wasted, they were caught with the intentions of releasing them alive.
    Likes bassfisherman99 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig'em83 View Post
    it may seem as good....now....how about in another 40 years when our youngsters are fishing? As far as the organization goes.....it is on them. Knowing the conditions they should have taken the opportunity to "teach" those individuals who did not know. They are promoters of the sport. Why not promote healthy fishing instead of big payouts? You are correct, they do bring large amounts of money to the area. But if this is not stopped, the natural resources that are making these tax dollars will be wiped out.
    But it has been going on for years and the fishery is as strong as ever. The fact is the fish that died were an extremely small percentage of the fish that were caught, and the fish that were caught were a tiny, tiny fraction of the fish that live in that lake.
    Likes bassfisherman99 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    But it has been going on for years and the fishery is as strong as ever. The fact is the fish that died were an extremely small percentage of the fish that were caught, and the fish that were caught were a tiny, tiny fraction of the fish that live in that lake.
    How many fishing holes have you seen in your lifetime get ruined? Just because it's doing well now does not mean it will for generations to come. Look how poorly the deer and Turkey hunting was in the past with no management. Now that ppl are managing it it is thriving. The same thing happens to fishing holes. Ky lake is bigger. It's just gonna take longer, not overnight.
    Likes GeoFisher, pointer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    fishing licenses which are used for upkeep of the fishery and stocking programs. The reality is, it isn't the organizations fault. It is the individual fishermen who need to learn to care for their fish better. This has gone on, on KY Lake for years and the fishery seems to be as good as it ever has been.
    Just because something has worked in a small scale in the past doesn't mean it will scale up nicely. That is the problem, the scale of the tournaments has increased and it is causing problems. If someone fishes one tournament a year or 100 tournaments there is no additional fishing license being purchased, which means no additional resources for Fish and Wildlife to manage the fisheries, infrastructure, and anglers. There has been a huge increase in the use of resources, wear and tear on the boat ramps/docks, and on the fish caught due to the increase in tournaments and tournament size.

It really is the organizations fault because they aren't taking responsibility for every negative impact the increased tournament scale has caused. Have you ever heard the saying "this is why we can't have nice things"? Well if they don't start managing themselves better the government will step in and increase the regulations/fees on tournaments. Like it or not that is the reality of the situation. It would be a shame if that happened as I'm all for smaller government and fewer regulations but if people don't take responsibility for the negative impact their actions have then the government will step in and do it for them.

If the tournament organizers continue to ignore the negative impacts they are causing, continue to increase the number of boats involved, and increase the frequency of tournaments then I would be fine with something like the following:
    1-10 boat tournament no regulation/fees
    11 - 25 boat - tournament fee to cover 4 hours of a conservation officers time to watch the launch and weigh in
    26 - 50 boat - tournament fee to cover the cost of a conservation officer for the entire tournament including launch and weigh in
    51+ boats - tournament fee to cover the cost of a conservation officer for the entire tournament including launch and weigh in plus the cost of an additional officer on the water watching the anglers
    Or there could just be a flat $5-$10 fee for every tournament angler for every tournament and Fish and Wildlife would just show up randomly to watch people, behavior, and verify the tournament fee has been paid.

Some type of regulation like that is in the future of tournaments if the organizers don't start taking responsibility for the negative impacts they are causing. The only people who can prevent that are the tournament organizers and tournament anglers.
    Likes GeoFisher, Jig'em83, pointer liked this post