Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland River trout fishing

We put in at the dam and floated down below helms landing another mile. We caught 25 trout. Most 8-10 inches. We caught a few 12-15 inch fish and I had a slightly bigger brown break me off under the boat. Today we fished from burksville up river 3 miles. Fishing ended when the sky opened up. The River turned kind of scary with downpour and heavy fog. Today was a bit tougher but still managed to catch a few nice rainbows and a 13 inch brown. Saw a fellow fly fishing catch a 19 inch brown. Water level perfect and clear. We had most success with rebel craw crank baits and a few on spinners.
    Likes CJ Allex liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your report. I am interested in reports concerning the river since I have never fished it. I am trying learn how to fish it and be safe. I would to start out by fly fishing from the banks before I put a boat on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Last Wednesday, I launched a kayak at the Creelsboro Arch (Rockhouse) and floated around the horseshoe bend to Winfrey's Ferry. Took me about 5 hours at almost no flow and with one stop on a gravel bar to fly fish a bit. Caught a stocker-size Brook Hybrid right off the bat, and things were looking good, but I hit a dry spell down through Rainbow Run and had equipment problems that hampered my fishing. I was throwing everything I had at em with no success, even around Winfrey Rock and the gravel bar just past there. I decided to just tie on a shiny Rebel crankbait I bought at Wal-Mart for $2 and just let it run behind me while I paddled. Yeah.............trolling in a kayak! I suddenly started catching fish. In that stretch to Winfreys I caught 14 fish: 4 Rainbows and 2 Browns (all 15-18 inches), 7 Brook Hybrids (all 12-14 inches) and 2 chunky White Bass (about 10 inches each......caught on a Blue Fox spinner) Also caught my very first Cumberland River trout on a fly rod at the gravel bar at Winfrey's Ferry. Caught it on a Prince Nymph I tied myself. I was very proud of myself.......haha!

The water was not the usual clear water you see down there, so I guess that's why the shiny crankbait worked so well. Also, those Blue Fox spinners work very well for me down there. I prefer them over Rooster Tails or any other spinners, and I'm not afraid to go BIG on them, or any other baits or flies on the Cumberland River.

Had a great time. That river is hard to beat! This is all just my 2 cents.........hope someone finds it useful.
    Likes CJ Allex liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Very helpful. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks timmnur22 and huntingteacher. Good info. I also have intentions of making it to the river but hasn't happened this year so far. It is good to hear what is going on down there.
    Likes timmbur22 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah thanks fellas for your report. This is my most looked forward to excursion in the state once I get my new Ascend Kayak in. Had been looking over the maps and had planned on taking the same trip you took Timmbur as it will be convenient for not having to have someone to shuttle me back and forth.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Hope you have a good trip Cj Allex! I always check water levels at the dam before I go. I would recommend only paddling if there is no generation at all or if they have only the sluice gate open. Another bait that has worked well for me in the past are the Rebel crawdads. Be prepared for kind of a tough launch at the Creelsboro Arch. There is a steep rock dropoff of about 5 or 6 feet that's a bit tough to get a kayak over. I just tied a rope to mine and lowered it over the edge. Be sure to check out all the birds that have made mud nest in the face of the arch. Quite a show! This is one of the more productive areas of the river in my opinion, so don't be in too big a hurry. It will take you anywhere from 4 to 6 hours to float this, depending on river flow and how big a hurry you are in, as well as how much you stop and get out. There are several gravel bars along the way, depending on water levels of course. Also be prepared to walk about a mile or so back to the arch. If you are lucky, maybe someone will give you ride. I was fortunate that a friendly local saw me walking and stopped to ask me if I wanted a lift.

Be safe and cautious and good luck fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice Timmbur. Plan on heading that way to spend an entire weekend in a couple of weeks to camp out as well with the wife and kids, so long as the weather permits. I'll throw an update on here of how my trip fairs afterwards. Just wanted to throw the yak in waters a bit more local for the first time. Really excited for this particular trip though. Looking forward to it even more now! Been dying to try out the fly rod down on Cumberland. Really do appreciate the advise and insight from folks who have been there. Very helpful.
    Likes timmbur22 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Allex View Post
    Yeah thanks fellas for your report. This is my most looked forward to excursion in the state once I get my new Ascend Kayak in. Had been looking over the maps and had planned on taking the same trip you took Timmbur as it will be convenient for not having to have someone to shuttle me back and forth.
    One of the reasons I have not committed to canoe trips down there lately is the fact that It is really hard to coordinate shuttle. I thought about going with 4-6 folks and taking 2 vehicles. But that gets cumbersome too.

Do you know of anyone that offers shuttle service down there.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    We went about a month ago, and caught a lot of trout on small rapala minnow baits, and 4" worms cut down to 3" with a 1/8oz jighead. I also caught two trout floating a bead-head fly under a weighted bobber. I wish I would have had my flyrod that day.

If anybody wants to take a trip there, let me know. We can meet up and use my vehicle as one of the shuttle vehicles.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudypoo4444 View Post
    If anybody wants to take a trip there, let me know. We can meet up and use my vehicle as one of the shuttle vehicles.
    I'd take ya up on that one here within the next month possibly Rudy. Be nice to have some company that half way knows the river. Plan on taking that trip around the middle of next month weather permitting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Allex View Post
    I'd take ya up on that one here within the next month possibly Rudy. Be nice to have some company that half way knows the river. Plan on taking that trip around the middle of next month weather permitting.
    You just let me know a little in advance, and I'll be there. I'm 2.5 hours away, but the trip is worth the drive to me.
    Likes GeoFisher, CJ Allex liked this post