Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor issues

Post Thanks / Like

Motor issues

I have a 225 Johnson. 21 ft stratos and I have started having some issues getting on plane. When I give it gas the nose comes up RPMS hit about 2500 and stay... If the guy in passenger seat heads toward the front of the boat the nose will fall ill hit plane and the boat runs great... I have been trying to adjust the jack plate to get the most out of the motor and it had ran great the last few times I took it out with this setup. Even ran great on take off last week but after first fish full live wells it started acting up

Does any one know what would cause this or suggestions on what to do?
    Thanks in advance!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If no motor issues, it sounds like you need to raise the motor up on the jackplate. What is your prop to pad measurement? Normally around 3.5" is a good starting point.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you mean by prop to pad measurement? I was just told to adjust the motor by 1/8 of an inch to no more then a quarter of inch at a time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Prop to pad is how much lower the center of the prop is below the pad. Level the pad of the boat and then level the propshaft. Make sure on level flat ground. Measue the pad to the ground and then the center of the propshaft to ground. Propshaft should be around 3.5" lower for a good starting point. If not raise or lower to that point and go from there. Make sure you have good water pressure

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks I just googled how to check that... thank you i will go check that tomorrow and see where my measurement is.

i just wonder if the jack plate slipped a little and let the motor fall some... like i said the boat was running great for probably the last 5 or 6 trips out would plane out great then out of no where last weekend it started taking longer too plane out then wouldn't at all until there was weight shifted to the front of the boat...

I was wondering if it was a power pack... always hear that thrown around when people have the same trouble i'm having....

Post Thanks / Like
    Possibly could be. I just saw you adjusting the plate and went with that. Could be a motor issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakey head View Post
    thanks I just googled how to check that... thank you i will go check that tomorrow and see where my measurement is.

i just wonder if the jack plate slipped a little and let the motor fall some... like i said the boat was running great for probably the last 5 or 6 trips out would plane out great then out of no where last weekend it started taking longer too plane out then wouldn't at all until there was weight shifted to the front of the boat...

I was wondering if it was a power pack... always hear that thrown around when people have the same trouble i'm having....
    I had my power pack replaced on my old evinrude last week. The problem I was having is when I would hit the gas to get up on plane it would die. I feel like yours would possibly be doing something similar if it's that, or it could be just on its way out. The best way to know is have the motor hooked up to a computer and if you get a low spark reading that's often what it is. Also I was told when the power pack goes out so do your temp sensors. Had both replaced. You should get a alarm from your temp sensors when they go bad. At least that's what I experienced. Hope I can help with the little knowledge I have, Drew

Post Thanks / Like
    Any damage to the blades on the prop? Excessive water in the boat? What they said.

Post Thanks / Like
    If we didn't shift any weight to the front of the boat it would die out... I don't think I had any excessive water in the boat I had back washed a few times through the day but I have gotten in the habit of flipping on the bilge before I start the motor.... There isn't any damage to the prop I appreciate all of your help!! I'm just trying to get out of taking to the boat to the shop... I hope it's an adjustment issue...

Post Thanks / Like
    If we didn't shift any weight to the front of the boat it would die out... I don't think I had any excessive water in the boat I had back washed a few times through the day but I have gotten in the habit of flipping on the bilge before I start the motor.... There isn't any damage to the prop I appreciate all of your help!! I'm just trying to get out of taking to the boat to the shop... I hope it's an adjustment issue...
    Had same problem with mine. I didn't take mine to shop and 5 trips later she blew. Took to professional marine and they said I had a bad valve in motor that let water in and built up pressure. If you check plugs and look a little fouled take it in and have checked. Mine was 200 efi

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem on my boat it has a 175 opti and it wouldn't get on plane without shifting weight to the front. the first time it did it was the power packs. I knew it was electrical then cause I blasted off fine and when I shut it down, fished a bit, and then tried to blast off again it wouldn't go but I never could get it on plane then. And it could also be an exhaust issue. My boat on one occasion would get up to about 2500 rpm and stay there until you shifted weight and it would run out fine. I took it to the shop and inside the motor under the power head something came loose and when you would go to blast off the plate that came loose would shift back and partially cover the exhaust port. I know its crazy the dealership said it as a common issue in evinrude motors and this was the second merc 175 he had seen do it. Lucky me huh... But when trimmed the motor up and down you could actually hear the broken part fall back and forth...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 225 Johnson. 21 ft stratos and I have started having some issues getting on plane. When I give it gas the nose comes up RPMS hit about 2500 and stay... If the guy in passenger seat heads toward the front of the boat the nose will fall ill hit plane and the boat runs great... I have been trying to adjust the jack plate to get the most out of the motor and it had ran great the last few times I took it out with this setup. Even ran great on take off last week but after first fish full live wells it started acting up

Does any one know what would cause this or suggestions on what to do?
    Thanks in advance!!
    I had a situation with a 21 foot Stratos similar to what you're talking about I think. I would go to take off and boat would not come up on plane unless I moved wait to the front. Took it to a dealership to let him check out the jack plate and to make sure all adjustments were right. He told me everything looked good nothing wrong with the boat. So we took it down to the lake and when he would go to take off everything worked perfect. What I had to do was when taken off hold throttle all the way and at the same time trim the motor up when taking off to get up on plane. Cost me 50 but best 50 I believe I ever spent. Only boat I ever had that I had to do like that to get up on plane. You might have already tried this but if not would give it a try and see what happens.