Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Destin Fl funny story

I am here on vaca with the fam. my 6 year old daughter LOVES the beach however my 1 year old boy is a hot mess. The girls headed down to the beach around 10 while the boy napped. I woke him up (mistake) at 11 and headed down. I was so tore up to finally be at the ocean I jumped in phone and all and didn't realize it for about 20 min after I was in the water (phone is DONE). We drove down yesterday and I had food poisoning from some bad chicken Sunday night so I was laid up all evening and night (rough drive down). The girls headed up about 30 min after the boy and I headed down since he wanted to crawl out from the umbrella and eat sand. I stayed down since I was excited to be here for the week. I got out past the sea grass in about waste to chest deep water jumping waves and saw a small school of beautiful clear and blue fish (about 100) swimming around. I was playing with them with my wedding ring (not smart) for about 5 min when all of the sudden they scattered. As a fisherman I knew right away so I looked away from where they scattered and a fish close to 3 feet swam past me hauling serious tail after the school. All I saw was a dark shadow of a fish so I automatically think shark and went upstairs to our condo and I have not been past knee deep since.

Shawn
    Likes riverrat12, kychris, Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sglass View Post
    I am here on vaca with the fam. my 6 year old daughter LOVES the beach however my 1 year old boy is a hot mess. The girls headed down to the beach around 10 while the boy napped. I woke him up (mistake) at 11 and headed down. I was so tore up to finally be at the ocean I jumped in phone and all and didn't realize it for about 20 min after I was in the water (phone is DONE). We drove down yesterday and I had food poisoning from some bad chicken Sunday night so I was laid up all evening and night (rough drive down). The girls headed up about 30 min after the boy and I headed down since he wanted to crawl out from the umbrella and eat sand. I stayed down since I was excited to be here for the week. I got out past the sea grass in about waste to chest deep water jumping waves and saw a small school of beautiful clear and blue fish (about 100) swimming around. I was playing with them with my wedding ring (not smart) for about 5 min when all of the sudden they scattered. As a fisherman I knew right away so I looked away from where they scattered and a fish close to 3 feet swam past me hauling serious tail after the school. All I saw was a dark shadow of a fish so I automatically think shark and went upstairs to our condo and I have not been past knee deep since.

Shawn
    It could've been a shark but at this time of the year it's a pretty good bet that it would be a tarpon or possibly a king instead. If you can grab a rod and start casting large swimbaits out there past the green crap that is usually in the surf zone you should be able to eventually get a tarpon to bite. But yeah I wouldn't start splashing around in water any deeper than knee deep and I'd recommend leaving all the jewelry in the room. The glints and flashes that jewelry makes under water is like a dinner bell ringing to Mr. Shark.
    Likes sglass liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    lol I just got back from destin Monday we stayed at the pelican beach resort. Funny story for me is we went to the pier on Okaloosa island one day and we saw a hammer head shark and a huge tiger shark swimming at the pier. We caught some fish off the pier though. After seeing all that I started using the bait fish that other people in our group where catching on sabiki rigs for well bait. I casted six times and well six different dolphins took a liking to my bait. I never set the hook on them and plus my circle hook wasn't big enough actually hook into them thank goodness. I was trying to catch those monster tarpons that where swimming around off the pier. Well we went back a few days later and seen another hammer head shark and caught some fish and to my amazement I observed a group of about 5 teenagers swimming out from the pier about a hundred yards or so but these kids where out past the end of the pier where they definitely where on the lower tier of the food chain.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are going to the Pier this afternoon I believe. We are at Mainsail condos and I am currently looking at a fishing boat that's been trolling the same area for 2 hours right out my window. Very cool!!

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sglass View Post
    We are going to the Pier this afternoon I believe. We are at Mainsail condos and I am currently looking at a fishing boat that's been trolling the same area for 2 hours right out my window. Very cool!!

Shawn
    About how far out were they trolling?

Post Thanks / Like
    They were off the beach a ways id say where the drop is from the 2nd dune? Im assuming shark fishing I dunno. You could almost take a kayak out to them Tonight they had a 7 foot Bull strung up, a ton of small bluegill sized red colored fish a small tuna and a couple mackerel I think off the fishing piers. Very cool to see. Will def go out and fish next trip down.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    The small red fish was probably beeliners. They are easy to catch and very good to eat.