Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New to bass fishing

Hey everyone. I am from eastern Ky and I have recently taken interest in bass fishing. I have always loved to fish and mainly targeted bluegill. Now I'd like to start catching bass. I am boat less so shoreline is all I got right now. My biggest problem other than that is I feel very overwhelmed when it comes to all the different baits and techniques. Also weather and moon phases. It all seems so complicated. I bought a tell all fishing info manual from bass pro. Although it has some great advice and instructions In it, it is still a little hard to understand if your're not already familiar with fishing. I've watched countless YouTube videos and all I seem to get is conflicting opinions. I understand fish and waters differ as far as approach. How did you get started? I have fished several different lakes for many hours and have only caught small cats and bluegill. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even though I grew up fishing, I've just in the past year have really got into bass fishing.

There is a ton of different baits and techniques out there. A lot of things will work in the same situation but many things work only in certain situations.

The first thing you need to do is describe the areas that you will be fishing in. Are you fishing in a river, shallow creek, pond, lake, etc? What is the bottom like; rocky, soft, weedy, clear, etc? Are you targeting smallmouth in a creek or largemouth in a lake? Are you wanting recommendations on gear, baits, or techniques?

For starters a crankbait like a strike king 1.5 squarebill in shad, bluegill, or crawdad is pretty easy. Just throw it out and retrieve. You can keep your rod tip up to keep it out of the weeds if it catches them a lot.

Another bait is a Reaction Innovations Lil Dipper on a 2/0 EWG hook rigged weedless. I've had good look with any minnow color like Statutory Grape. Throw it out, let it sit 15-20 seconds, twitch it 2-3 times, reel in slack, let it sit, repeat.

Fish in the early morning and in the last hours before dark.

Hope that helps.

P.S. It is really exciting when you start catching bass in areas that you really didn't think you could catch them at.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for replying. The lake i fish most frequently is fishpond lake. This lake is notorious for being difficult to catch any bass in. I have talked to fisherman who fish this lake and they said the only thing to use is nightcrawlers. I have used them with no success other than bluegill. This lake has some pretty deep spots but it's mainly around 20 feet. It has lots of shallow areas. The water is pretty clear but also fluctuates and is stained. I'd like to learn different baits and techniques.

Post Thanks / Like
    Weightless Zoom Fluke on 3/0 4/0 EWG hook is great. Jerk it to make it look like injured baitfish. Can't go wrong with a 7" texas rigged plastic worm with bullet weight 1/4 oz or so. I would throw topwater early and late day. Pop-R, frog, spook or buzzbait. I also like the Yum Dinger on 3/0 EWG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kywildcat82 View Post
    Thanks so much for replying. The lake i fish most frequently is fishpond lake. This lake is notorious for being difficult to catch any bass in. I have talked to fisherman who fish this lake and they said the only thing to use is nightcrawlers. I have used them with no success other than bluegill. This lake has some pretty deep spots but it's mainly around 20 feet. It has lots of shallow areas. The water is pretty clear but also fluctuates and is stained. I'd like to learn different baits and techniques.
    In regards to not being able to catch bass at a spot, I've caught bass on artificials next to people using live bait. Especially smallmouth fishing, I'll go in with a weighted small worm and pull them out regularly as the guy close to me just watches his bobber sit there.

If you can find a local creek with smallmouth, the summer is a great time to catch them. Once all this rain calms down and it drys up, you can wade for smallmouth. They typically are still active even when its hot out and they are a ton of fun to catch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! I hope these guys and gals can help you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate it

Post Thanks / Like
    My best advice for you and I think everyone on here will agree with me on this one, find baits (out of the list they've all suggested) and fish with a couple of them. Find what you like best and fits your style the most, but don't just fish what you like, fish something you think the fish will like. Once you catch one on a bait don't feel like you have checked that bait off your list and you need to use another bait because CONFIDENCE IS EVERYTHING in fishing. Find baits that 1-you feel confident in and 2- fit what the fish are feeding on and how they're feeding that day/season. Honestly a lot of times I think that confidence is almost as important as the bait itself. I can't say that I've caught many bass when I wasn't confident that my bait was similar to what the fish want. Another huge tip is don't overlook the obvious. If you're using something on the bottom with no luck and start feeling it in quicky and boom a bass hits it then that fish basically has told you you need to be using something that's going to be off the bottom and swimming. Let the fish tell you what to use, but make sure you keep confidence in your bait. Good luck! And last but not least don't be afraid to talk to anyone bass fishing. 90% of the time someone at the lake will be able to help. Good luck and have fun with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with everything Drew says. Definitely talk to other fishermen. As I'm walking the bank, I stop and ask each person, "how's the fishing?" I've learned new techniques that work as well as new places to fish too. It never hurts to ask.
    Likes Drew1233 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure where you are located in E. KY but from KY wildlife fishing forecast for Grayson Lake

Largemouth bass Good Fair numbers of fish over 15.0 inches, but most still less than the minimum size limit.

Most prevalent of all black bass species in the lake. Best population exists in the Bruin

areas. High water helps to congregate these fish within the shoreline vegetation in the

spring and the fall months; can produce feeding frenzies and high catch rates within the

open water areas of Deer Creek and Bruin.
    Note: 15 inch minimum size limit

Link to Forecast for entire state

http://fw.ky.gov/Fish/Documents/2015...st%20Final.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Drew took the words right out of my mouth. There is a lot of clutter out there, don't let it overwhelm you. Find a few things you are confident in and use those for a while. Confidence is everything!
    Likes Drew1233 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    An original Rapala floting minnow in silver black size 5 to 7 will catch you a lot of bass, good starter lure. It will catch them in ponds, lakes, creeks.
    Likes Wormin liked this post